Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,846 of 8,309
Quote:
That euro plug is standars extra with Aune T1 (at least from EU sellers) but it sucks actually, it has stupid shape that wont fit into deeper EU wall/extension sockets.

Look at the picture, plug is actually in my unit at least, the proper euro plug, Its already plugged in standard euro-socket and T1 is rocking.

I've seen the "chinese re-imagination fo euro plug" on my chinese android tablet, that does not fit anywhere...  

May 17, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,847 of 8,309
Sry didn`t notice that on the pic. But still, it`s not really good version - no grounding and fuse! My Aune T1 had that chinese re-imagination euro plug adapter that won`t fit anywhere :D I kept the UK plug, changed the fuse and bought proper UK>EU adapter.

May 18, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #1,848 of 8,309
Well...after lurking and reading all of the pages, I finally ordered me a Black T1. I'm gonna use it at work, using mainly my phone as source. It's a Galaxy Note II (flac mainly), which I fortunatly can send audio via usb(otg). Otherwise It wouldn't been very much point in buying this as I have understood.

This will actually be my first head amp...or...it will be the first I will use as a head amp. I've had the Maverick Audio D1, and also have the TC Electronic BMC-2, but only used them as Dac's

At the moment I'll be using my Shure SH-840's, but I'm drooling over the Philips Fidelio X1, which I probably will buy soon.

As for tuberolling, I'm not new at this game, so I already have ha small stock of 6DJ8/6922 tubes. Tubes I've got are; Siemens Halske CCa, Siemens Halske E88CC, Jan/Philips 6922, EH 6922(These are the stock tube right?), JJ Electronic E88CC, and Elite Goldpin 6DJ8(these have been very good in other installations) Of course I'm very much looking forward to trying the CCa. Just have to wait a few weeks now for the T1 to arrive. Meanwhile I might get me a Mullard tube and also a 7308. Then the tuberolling will commence:wink:

I also have a few Hal-o tubedampers lying around...any one tried tubedampers on the T1?

May 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #1,849 of 8,309
Quote:
I'm gonna use it at work, using mainly my phone as source. It's a Galaxy Note II (flac mainly), which I fortunatly can send audio via usb(otg).

I also have a few Hal-o tubedampers lying around...any one tried tubedampers on the T1?

As a Note II owner myself I'd be interested to know how that setup works out. Keep us posted!

I think the dampers are mostly to reduce microphonics, which seems to be more of an issue with dedicated tube amps. In my experience, T1 doesn't even heat tubes too much so you can roll without burning your hands.

May 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,850 of 8,309
Quote:

As a Note II owner myself I'd be interested to know how that setup works out. Keep us posted!

I  tried to hook up my Note II to my Rega Dac via the OTG Adapter and usb-cable to USB input on the Rega, and it worked flawlessly. That's what made my mind up today. I'm sure it will work on the T1 as well. Had an OTG adapter from before and it was plug and play almost.

I've also ordered me a 1964 Mullard ECC88 NOS today, but changed my mind on the headphones(wanted Philips Fidelio X1's), but because I need closed headphones at work, I ordered me a AKG K551 instead. It was either that or the Sennheiser Momentum, but I got the AKG for $175 dollars less than the Momentum, so didn't think about it that long.

May 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #1,851 of 8,309
Trying out a Voskhod 6n23p, I don't know if I can truly tell the difference between this and the eh 6922 that came with my T1, but this is a nice sounding tube and I think I'll leave it in foa a while and see what develops.

May 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #1,852 of 8,309
teb, then it seems you have to practice more analytical listening, it isn`t easy thing if you haven`t done it before. For me 6N23P (reflector) and 6922EH are totally different sounding tubes. 6922EH is good for electronic music but 6N23P better for rock/metal/progressive/jazz, not sure about classical but I think 6922EH is better due to large airy soundstage.

Btw, is your iPad3/iOS set up correctly? Streaming through memory and not using any OS related internal filtering? Although, I`m not so familiar with iPads and iOS setup, maybe you don`t have to adjust anything to get pure sound output like WASAPI, ASIO or KSP under windows.

As for tuberolling, I'm not new at this game, so I already have ha small stock of 6DJ8/6922 tubes. Tubes I've got are; Siemens Halske CCa, Siemens Halske E88CC, Jan/Philips 6922, EH 6922(These are the stock tube right?), JJ Electronic E88CC, and Elite Goldpin 6DJ8(these have been very good in other installations) Of course I'm very much looking forward to trying the CCa. Just have to wait a few weeks now for the T1 to arrive. Meanwhile I might get me a Mullard tube and also a 7308. Then the tuberolling will commence:wink:

You have those great tubes and still ordering Mullard ECC88? :) But yeah, tube rolling is fun sickness :D
I`m really curious about your opinion @ CCa & JJ E88CC compared to Mullard ECC88 & 6922EH tube.

Tomorrow I will try to find time to finally compare White/Gold label Ultron PCC189 VS. Amperex A-frame orange`s & GAC and maybe Miniwatt-Dario PCC189 toosince it`s also very good tube. 

May 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #1,853 of 8,309
Thanks CoiL. I do need some practice. I put the 6922eh back in and am listening to classical piano. A nice liquid sound. I don't like pulling one tube and replacing with another every few minutes. I 'll compare these over a few days or weeks.

I play the Aune from the iPad through the Camera Connection Kit which gives a digital signal, no EQ and no driver . The main annoyance with iOS is that a direct connection from the iPad through the CCK to the Aune won't work due to a "low power" reading (something that never happened with the Fiio E7 (so long as the USB charge feature was disabled). With the Aune I have to use a powered hub, no idea why.

May 19, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #1,854 of 8,309
Thats weird because like I`ve said many times - Aune T1 does not drow any power from usb.

May 19, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #1,855 of 8,309
Quote:
changed my mind on the headphones(wanted Philips Fidelio X1's), but because I need closed headphones at work, I ordered me a AKG K551 instead.

I hope you did your research of K551 vs K550. K551 is more suitable for portable use, but K550 is said to be sonically superior (don't know if it's the ****ty cable of K551 or what). I really love my K550. Definitely one of the best closed cans I've ever heard.

May 19, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #1,856 of 8,309
Quote:

I hope you did your research of K551 vs K550. K551 is more suitable for portable use, but K550 is said to be sonically superior (don't know if it's the ****ty cable of K551 or what). I really love my K550. Definitely one of the best closed cans I've ever heard.

From what I read the only real difference is the colours and the cable. The K550 has a screw on 1/4" adapter while the K551 doesnt have 1/4" adapter at all. That won't be a problem, because I got plenty of those. When seen the two compared there's hardly anything sonically between them, other than maybe a slight tonally difference in the bass. I'm gonna use it at my desk at work, and probably buy me a portable amp also, so then I think the K551 is the right choice. 3m cable would get in the way for me at my desk. And for only $159 NIB for the black K551 it's not a problem anyway if it doesn't work out.

I've seen reviews here in Norway and Europe where the K551 gets a slightly higher rating than the K550.

May 19, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #1,857 of 8,309
Little update: Amperex A-frame GA8 deltaF03 (should be orange globe logo, from 1970) is imo better than A-frame GAE delta2A3 (should be PQ logo amperex,from 1972). GAE is more towards Mullard ECC88, has tinybit brighter highs but being littlebit "flat" and "closed" @ highs. GA8 is towards Amperex GAC, more open and warm highs. Differences are little but they are there, at least to my ears. 

And littlebit offtopic, great new album from NYM: http://music.ratsofnym.com/album/trembling-in-the-stone-a-charity-record

May 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,858 of 8,309
Thats weird because like I`ve said many times - Aune T1 does not drow any power from usb.

I had read your comment to that effect and assumed that there would be no problem, but iOS is strange that way. There is a whole thread of people having issues with various dacs when played with the iPad. As I said the little Belkin powered hub I'm using is hardly a problem, but I still wonder why the iPad reads the powered Aune as drawing power from the USB, but not the Fiio E7.

May 20, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #1,859 of 8,309
Quote:
Has anyone on here done a comparison between the ELE and the Aune T1?  

Dsnuts says that the ELE is superior for about $20. I'm skeptical but would love to hear if anyone on here has also tried the ELE.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-jant71s-take-on-the-new-ath-clr100-pg-618-zero-audio-carbo-basso-pg-601/4905

-AudioFrog

I have both and it's no contest- the Aune T1 dominates. I bought the ELE dac off this site for cheaps. (I didn't see Dsnuts' review of it before I tried it, though)

I will say that it is better than onboard sound, but does not "beat the poo out of it."

May 20, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #1,860 of 8,309
And I just ordered ELE D01 just for fun & gift for my friend laptop (because it`s dirt cheap). Wasn`t hoping any competition against Aune T1 but like you said - better than onboard sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back