Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 16, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #1,832 of 8,309
Quote:

What are the factory codes in the glass? Found some info regarding the color of the prints:

Red Label: Industrial tubes designed for long heater hours, durability, high tolerance, shock and vibration resistance, special cathode construction

Yellow label: designed for long heater hours, durability, high tolerance 

Green label: computers, designed for long heater hours, durability, high tolerance curve points, special cathode construction 

Blue label: Aviation/aerospace. Special switching filaments. Used in missiles as an on-off switch, Industrial tubes designed for long heater hours, durability, high tolerance, shock and vibration resistance, special cathode construction

http://www.tubemuseum.org/SearchResults.asp?Cat=20
http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo/Philipscolors.htm

May 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #1,834 of 8,309
Thanks all who replied me. The Headfonia review was the one who brought me here in the first place! :) It seems like a good but, tube USB Dac with amp and with a price of less than SGD250, it seems like a good buy. Have anyone tried it with the th-900?

May 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,835 of 8,309
Quote:
Seriously, I have read all 122 pages. There's lots of info, sometimes contradicting info . After a while, ECC88, PCC88, PCC189, 6DJ8, 6N1P, 6N23P, etc. started to sound the same and I'll got confused. I already admitted that I jumped the gun with 6N1P. So what else do you want?

Seriously, for my next purchase, I want to cross my t's and dot my i's and that said, in paper PCC189 has different spec than 6DJ8/ECC88 and to my understanding its original application is not the same than 6DJ8/ECC88 tubes. You state PCC189 works, then that's a great news. It means that there's an avenue to get NOS tubes on the cheap for AUNE T1.

But seriously, you answered my question and I thank you for that. It seems these small differences in specs does not really matter, AUNE T1 can eat them all, whether it is ECC88, PCC88, PCC189 and depending on listener different tubes sound awesome or not..

hah, stara, I have the same concern as you with regards to the usability of PCC189s on T1.. you probably had read my post here.. So I guess is the buffer stage where tube is used in T1 that it will not be affected and have distortion due to the variable gain..

but still, I haven't gone for the route of PCC189s.. hah.. the rest of other compatible tubes are better than good choices for me to choose already...

May 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #1,836 of 8,309
"I feel the same way, it's like with more power the highs get tamed on the dts 600 ohms. They smooth out and just sparkle. fwiw, the t1 outputs the most volts at 10+ db and that's the setting that I compared the t1 amp vs the objective2 stock 2.5x gain. the o2 sounded better overall."

I believe that I was the one who made that comment :D. I think the amp portion of the T1 is just a tad bright for my DT880s and I favored the O2 for that reason. With the HD600, it performs quite admirably. I don't have the O2 at my office anymore for me to directly compare but I think it would be pretty even or lean toward the T1 since the 600 is more laidback and I like the sparkle & aggressiveness... up to a point. :wink:
For me, I bought the T1 only with the intention of using it as a DAC for the tube buffer and I'm still immensely happy with it. I got the upgrade itch recently but I honestly couldn't find anything that would satisfy me without spending around 500 like a bitfrost. The cost of the bitfrost would eclipse the price of my entire chain at the moment (Aune T1 & Darkvoice 336se) and I just couldn't talk myself into pulling the trigger on it. I'm immensely happy with my current setup of DT880/600s & HD600 with that chain and I will probably just end up rolling tubes instead of actual upgrades. End game folks... but don't quote me on that. I am a gadget geek and love having new things just to have. :p

May 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #1,837 of 8,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What are the factory codes in the glass? Found some info regarding the color of the prints:

JANs that Uraltone have in stock are same as these:

http://www.boiaudioworks.com/6922JANNOS

"Please note that these tubes can be microphonic and may not be suitable for use in phono stage. We recommend 6922EH tubes for low microphony requirement."

or these

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/JAN-Military/JAN-Philips-6922-Low-Noise

"This 6922 tube type was rated the "best buy" by Vacuum Tube Valley magazine in their 6DJ8 / 6922 tube shootout."

I sincerely hope, its the latter. Anyway, factory code is 8713 AEX or 34167 USA.

May 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #1,841 of 8,309
Quote:

Not sure about that. What are your JAN Philips ECG factory markings? I have JAN Sylvania 6922 and its quite similiar to 6922EH but with tighter bass & kick and mids are maybe tinybit better. Very large soundstage. I think this tube is great for electronic music (I think best tube I have for electronic music). For rock/metal/progressive/jazz it isn`t so great but it`s ok.

Here you go. PCC189/7ES8 and I guess patch number 50402. That's it, could not see anything else.

Me and Salvatore also have same white label Ultron PCC189`s (also from uraltone). Let us know your opinion about that tube.

May 17, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #1,843 of 8,309
Quote:
Guys I read on some forums that the T1 is not suitable for low impedence cans/ IEM's.
Has anyone tried the RE-400's with it? A lot of people do find it good for the he-400's!

Not tried re-400 but tried other iems ( Musical-fidelity eb50) . the fact is HEadphone output Impedance is a bit high ( 5 Ohms) and it's not perfect for low impedance cans/iem. 

Nevertheless through my iem i couldn't hear any hum ou buzz frome T1's headphone output although my IEM allow me to detect hum and noises on any of my other sources.  T1's output is dead silent. 

May 17, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #1,844 of 8,309

T1 finally arrived. Ebay shop, amp_universe from GB, included euro power plug, That was a big suprise and a nice bonus. I was prepared to hook it up with travel adapter, no need now! Let the sounds begin with Electro Harmonix 6922
smily_headphones1.gif

Windows7 installed driver automatically and I changed T1 as default player. Based on earlier advices by Icecap & Coil, I guess WASAPI does not require any tweaking?

Foobar with WASAPI output (Event mode, buffer default 1000ms and data format 24-bit). I guess, I'm set.

May 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #1,845 of 8,309
WASAPI, ASIO or KSP, depends on player software you using. Easiest & fastest setup would be winamp + KSP imo. But depending on OS and files you playing, it might cause some problems. I use winamp asio output plugin + asio4all and no problems so far. With KSP I experienced some problems playing 24-bit 192kHz files but it was only once, might have been some other os problem. 

That euro plug is standars extra with Aune T1 (at least from EU sellers) but it sucks actually, it has stupid shape that wont fit into deeper EU wall/extension sockets. I had to buy new one.
And it`s recommended to change the fuse inside UK plug to something smaller value. By default it is ridiculously 15A, it should be something between 0,5-3A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back