Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #1,816 of 8,309
Quote:
 it will produce lots of odd harmonic distortion.

And now search this thread and read all about those PCC189`s in REAL test with Aune T1 - no odd harmonic distortion or whatsoever (I have 8 different PCC189`s)! Also I spoke about that heater "poisoning" and variable mu some time ago - no problems with all the PCC189`s I`ve come across so far (except 2 used PCC189`s that are just leaking or burned out, crackly very weak sound, inside tube lot of black mica "dust"). Seriously, read this thread through and you get lots of info about tubes with Aune T1, no need to discover bicycle again! And seriously, if you are from Finland go ahead and buy Ultron PCC189 for sure, it is cheap and very good sounding tube! :wink: For me it`s on par with Amperex Orange GAC. If you get your hands on golden label Ultron SQ PCC189`s, then prefer those to white labels but both are very good. 

Sorry to everybody about Ultrons and Amperex A-frame orange`s analytical comparing that I promised after burn in. I haven`t had time to do it but will try this weekend. But I think much hasn`t changed in my opinion. I still prefer gold label ultrons over Amperex GAC and A-frame orange. White Ultrons are on par with Amperex GAC.
Btw, I think one Amperex A-frame orange is littlebit different sounding and better than other (older one) but have to confirm it for sure with analytical listening. 

May 16, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #1,817 of 8,309
Hey guys, just wanted to update.

Got my unit and it sounds great. I paired with mine a $10 amperex bugle boy tube and love its sound with my grado rs2i's and KRK studio monitors. 

One thing I wanted to bring up was that I asked earlier in this thread if this unit could be controlled via the taskbar volume control in windows (speaker icon at the bottom right corner). I could not do this with my previous usb dac (nuforce udac). A member answered that it was not possible, so I figured I had to get an external volume control unit to control volume for lineout to my monitors. Well in windows 8, I can definitely control the volume via windows with that volume taskbar icon, or with my keyboard. Don't know if this will work with any other windows version though. Just wanted to let you guys know.

May 16, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,818 of 8,309
Quote:
Seriously, read this thread through and you get lots of info about tubes with Aune T1, no need to discover bicycle again! And seriously,..

Seriously, I have read all 122 pages. There's lots of info, sometimes contradicting info . After a while, ECC88, PCC88, PCC189, 6DJ8, 6N1P, 6N23P, etc. started to sound the same and I'll got confused. I already admitted that I jumped the gun with 6N1P. So what else do you want?

Seriously, for my next purchase, I want to cross my t's and dot my i's and that said, in paper PCC189 has different spec than 6DJ8/ECC88 and to my understanding its original application is not the same than 6DJ8/ECC88 tubes. You state PCC189 works, then that's a great news. It means that there's an avenue to get NOS tubes on the cheap for AUNE T1.

But seriously, you answered my question and I thank you for that. It seems these small differences in specs does not really matter, AUNE T1 can eat them all, whether it is ECC88, PCC88, PCC189 and depending on listener different tubes sound awesome or not..

May 16, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #1,819 of 8,309
I also ordered and payed for the 6N1P tubes once, but I redecided before they were shipped, so I altered the order to 6N23P through PMs to the seller. The 6N1P are used in the Schiit Lyr by some, so it might not be that bad. The guy I talked to who had tried the 6N1P had a bad channel in the tube, and the working channel was not any good, so that tube was probably used and weared out. A NOS tube might be ok. I have considered getting one afterwards just out of curiosity

May 16, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #1,821 of 8,309

Seriously, read this thread through and you get lots of info about tubes with Aune T1, no need to discover bicycle again! And seriously,..

Seriously, I have read all 122 pages. There's lots of info, sometimes contradicting info . After a while, ECC88, PCC88, PCC189, 6DJ8, 6N1P, 6N23P, etc. started to sound the same and I'll got confused. I already admitted that I jumped the gun with 6N1P. So what else do you want?

It`s ok. My comment was more towards to PCC189`s "distortion" and variable mu "problem". 
But I seriously recommend you to try Ultron PCC189, especially because you are from Finland and can get them cheap from Uraltone.

May 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #1,824 of 8,309
Stara, please give us all the codes and markings from your Ultron PCC189 and if it`s possible, take a picture too. Just curious about different Ultron PCC189 versions. And lets us know what you think about JAN Philips ECC88, I think this tube hasn`t been in here yet.

May 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #1,828 of 8,309
Quote:
It seems like this became a tube rolling thread but I have a question. How does this compare to the o2/Odac and magni/modi?

Not too many pages ago:

Quote:
headfonia review was about Schiit Magni/Modi compared to Aune T1: http://www.headfonia.com/schitty-magni-and-modi/2/

Here's few comments about O2/ODAC using the search option:

"I've seen comparisons between e17, m/m, e10, o2/odac & others in this thread, not just tubes -- otoh at this stage in the discussion other than tube comparisons what else sets the aune apart from the other amps at this price point top be honest? I don't say that as if I am hating on the aune or anything, it's beautiful kit and I love mine ... it's just tubes are what sets it apart and not much else."

"See the Headphonia review of the Magni and Modi and the comments bellow it. It directly compares the T1 to the Schiit stack. Just make sure you take it with a grain of salt as usual :wink:. If you want a made in the USA product and you like the M&M look, go for it. If you want to experiment with tubes, go for the T1. If you want to be able to carry your stuff with your laptop (battery), go the O2 route."

"I feel the same way, it's like with more power the highs get tamed on the dts 600 ohms. They smooth out and just sparkle. fwiw, the t1 outputs the most volts at 10+ db and that's the setting that I compared the t1 amp vs the objective2 stock 2.5x gain. the o2 sounded better overall."

What I've read it seems that T1, O2/ODAC and M/M are not too far away from each other. According to headfonia M/M is pretty similar with T1. O2 is probably more neutral sounding than the T1. What favors the T1 over these other two is the low price and the possibility to fine tune the sound via tube rolling. T1 is a solid state amp with tube buffer, so you are basically adding tubes into the SS system. However, in the buffer stage the tubes do not affect the sound nearly as much as they do in the dedicated tube amps. If you are on budget and don't want separate dac and amp, my recommendations (from personal experiences) are T1 and E17 (or better yet the upcoming E18 which works with android devices and hopefully doesn't have those annoying battery issues). E17 is portable, has built in EQ and sounds slightly bright. T1 on the other hand is mainly for desktop use, has tube buffer and sounds warmer and smoother. I also found the E17 mids to be slightly more forward, but it's been a while since the last time I plugged my E17 in. I've never tested MM or O2ODAC, but I have tested many other amps such as Lehmann Linear and Cambridge audio dacmagic plus. I have to say that T1 holds its own even against some of the more expensive amps. I remember toschek saying that Lyr is not so much better than the T1 (I believe he was talking about 15% increase in performance). For the low price T1 is highly recommended (even for blind buyers). Go for the amp that suits your needs and has the best price over performance ratio.

May 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,829 of 8,309
Quote:
Here you go. PCC189/7ES8 and I guess patch number 50402. That's it, could not see anything else.

Same as mine. There seems to be no way to identify these.

You went to Uraltone? Was it a cool shop / is it worth visiting. Maybe I should consider visiting there the next time I'll go to Helsinki.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back