Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #1,606 of 8,309
Quote:

Like I´ve said many times already, depends on music, hearing, taste, equipment etc. Not that I want to be "better" or something but ppl seem to agree more with my opinion. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #1,608 of 8,309
Aune T1 doesn`t draw any power from USB for sure! I cut off the +5VSB pin at the PC end of the USB cable to avoid signal disturbances.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #1,609 of 8,309
Aune T1 doesn`t draw any power from USB for sure! I cut off the +5VSB pin at the PC end of the USB cable to avoid signal disturbances.

Thanks for the information. This means that the set up I have used with the E7 should work with the T1.

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #1,610 of 8,309
Quote:
..Can someone recommend a basic inexpensive upgrade tube. I have done much reading on this and the tube rolling threads, but would lika to know if there is an agreed upon first step up tube.

Thanks.

I would go for a Voskhod 6N23P (rocket logo). It's relatively cheap, easy to get your hands on and it sounds good

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #1,614 of 8,309
Just received my White labeled Ultrons and 2 Amperex A-frame oranges! WOOT! ;P
Will burn them for a week and then start comparing with Amperex GAC and Gold labeled Ultron.

First impressions about white ultrons - great tubes but have to burn them littlebit. I might be wrong but first listen tells me that white ones might have tinybit less tight bass & kick. Otherwise seem same as gold labeled. I certainly recommend them! For 6€ those white ones are also total steal like gold labeled! 

Btw, one of my white Ultrons have very weird shaped glass, 1st like that in my collection. The other looks internally same but glass is same shaped as usual tubes. 

Anyway, now I certainly have lots of great tubes for a looooooong time.
My tube hoarding ends here and now with total 22 tubes! O_o

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #1,615 of 8,309
Quote:
Btw, one of my white Ultrons have very weird shaped glass, 1st like that in my collection. The other looks internally same but glass is same shaped as usual tubes.

Maybe it is relabeled pinched waist amperex xD

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #1,616 of 8,309
Coil, do you happen to have an extra Ultron that you could possibly spare to sell to me? I'd not, can you show me where I can get one for a good price? I can't seem to find one on eBay at the moment and definitely would like to get one to complement my orange globe

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #1,617 of 8,309
From EU - Uraltone or Electols but you have to oder with minimum sum or quantity limitation. Don`t know abaout US offers. 
I think I will not sell any of my tubes, sorry! I bought all of them with backup purpose (2pcs each) and for different genres/setup needs. But you could create joint-order with some head-fi members I think.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,618 of 8,309
Coil, I noticed from one of your old posts that you also had the Mullard PCC189.  how does this compare to the ultrons?  Seems like the Mullards are the only affordable alternatives that I can find right now on ebay and was wondering if they were similar.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #1,619 of 8,309
Damn, don`t remember all those tube descriptions from the head anymore :D
But... Mullard PCC189 is similiar to 6N23P reflector. Smaller type, intimate & warm soundstage. Should be good for blues but don`t listen to it much. Try to search more of my comments about this tube. And btw, there are 2 different types of Mullard PCC189, one is yellow old style logo and another is white old style logo. 

Versus Ultron - no competition imho, Ultrons are way better. But this is only my opinion. Mullard PCC189 should be quite hard to get from eBay cheaply.

e: I would search for Philips PCC189 (Holland). Unfortunately all those philips`s I recommended are gone. 

e2: oh, wait, you already have orange? then Philips PCC189 is not worth getting. Tubes that I personally consider to be in "orange league" are Amperex GAC, Ultron PCC189 and Miniwatt-Dario PCC189.

Maybe it is relabeled pinched waist amperex xD

Btw, it`s not pinched waist but pinched base! Glass looks something like this: http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/SieTel%20ECC81/ECC812.jpg

One more difference between gold label ultron and white label ultron - last one has copper pins inside tube. Gold label has metal pins. Also , my white label ultrons have A letter pressed on the inner side of the glass bottom.

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #1,620 of 8,309
Quote:
Btw, it`s not pinched waist but pinched base! Glass looks something like this: http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/SieTel%20ECC81/ECC812.jpg

Interesting. Somehow I didn't notice that. Need to check my Ultrons.

By the way, it seems that toschek is selling some of his tubes + other stuff like dampers and socket savers. His sales thread can be found here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back