Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 19, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #1,593 of 8,309
Quote:
Hmm. It's not just the tube however, the actual unit itself gets pretty hot. I can tell as soon as I touch the knob, this thing is putting out some serious heat!

The unit definitely gets warm, and the knob gets a little warm too but i wouldn't say "hot".  The tube itself gets hot enough to burn your finger if u touch it for more than a few seconds though.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #1,594 of 8,309
Between the Amperex Orange Globe and the Ultron PCC189, which would you guys said is the warmer/more laid back tube?  I'm using the Orange globe with my DT880's right now which has tamed down the highs a good amount, but was wondering if the Ultron can make it even more laid back(less fatiguing).

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #1,595 of 8,309
Hello everyone, this is a great thread! I want  to thank the OP and everyone who contributed to this thread, after reading all of it (well, kind of) i have decided to purchase an Aune T1 (actually i decided after the first few pages lol).

I am also getting the Audioengine A2 Powered Desktop Speakers, anybody listened to them through the Aune T1? any comments on that?

I have a couple of questions for the tube rolling enthusiasts: i have the possibility to get some NOS "EL MENCO" E188CC (made in Holland by Philips) SQ (special quality) tubes. If i am right and the information regarding this tubes is correct, those should be some excellent sounding tubes right? As far as i could gather, EL MENCO just rebranded tubes and they should be the same as Philips branded. or am i completely wrong?

Haltron E88CC gold pin and JJ E88CC are far inferior tubes right? probably not worth the buy? They definetly are far less expensive thou.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,596 of 8,309
Quote:
Between the Amperex Orange Globe and the Ultron PCC189, which would you guys said is the warmer/more laid back tube?  I'm using the Orange globe with my DT880's right now which has tamed down the highs a good amount, but was wondering if the Ultron can make it even more laid back(less fatiguing).

IMO, the Orange Globe is a head above the Ultron.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #1,597 of 8,309
Quote:
Hello everyone, this is a great thread! I want  to thank the OP and everyone who contributed to this thread, after reading all of it (well, kind of) i have decided to purchase an Aune T1 (actually i decided after the first few pages lol).

I am also getting the Audioengine A2 Powered Desktop Speakers, anybody listened to them through the Aune T1? any comments on that?

I have a couple of questions for the tube rolling enthusiasts: i have the possibility to get some NOS "EL MENCO" E188CC (made in Holland by Philips) SQ (special quality) tubes. If i am right and the information regarding this tubes is correct, those should be some excellent sounding tubes right? As far as i could gather, EL MENCO just rebranded tubes and they should be the same as Philips branded. or am i completely wrong?

Haltron E88CC gold pin and JJ E88CC are far inferior tubes right? probably not worth the buy? They definetly are far less expensive thou.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

If they are Holland SQ, they should be excellent. How do you know they are re-branded?  I'd just be careful with some tube sellers, not all of them are as honest as one might hope! 
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #1,598 of 8,309
Quote:
If they are Holland SQ, they should be excellent. How do you know they are re-branded?  I'd just be careful with some tube sellers, not all of them are as honest as one might hope! 
wink.gif

Thanks for the reply. Yes, i will look into it more carefully before purchasing, just wanted to hear the opinion of the "experts".

I couldnt find much information about EL MENCO, but apparently they didnt make the tubes, they just re-branded them. http://pax-comm.com/pa01016.htm

Here is a picture of the aformentioned tube: http://img1.mlstatic.com/valvula-electronica-vacuum-tube-e188cc-7308-cv4108-ecc88_MLA-O-106501058_4591.jpg

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #1,599 of 8,309
Quote:
IMO, the Orange Globe is a head above the Ultron.

IMHO, It`s opposite, Orange GAC sometimes gets too fatiguing with its too mellow & warm sound. Highs on Ultron (gold label) PCC189 are not tamed down but not harsh either, just in right place. I would say orange & ultron are quite on same par, depending on music. For me, Ultron PCC189 is littlebit more musical and enjoyable.

Still haven`t received my White labeled Ultron PCC189`s and A-Frame Orange from Salvatore.

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #1,600 of 8,309
Quote:

It's not yet clear if there is any sonical differences between different Ultrons, but I have found my Ultron to be slightly less fatiguing than my orange globe (especially with rock).

Quote:
Still haven`t received my White labeled Ultron PCC189`s and A-Frame Orange from Salvatore.

This is definitely a bummer. I was hoping you get the package this week. Maybe it's because of the economy shipping.

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #1,601 of 8,309
Most amps have much lower gain than the 10 and 16db the aune t1 offers..  why is that?  Does that mean this amp is for super low sensitivity high impedeance headphones?  I'm using it at 0db gain with my 64 and 12 ohm headphones with no problems other than slight hum which might be from my tube.. my new tubes should arrive soon

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #1,602 of 8,309
Just ordered the Aune T1 from Amazon (through Pennybuying) for $149.99. Not the best deal I've seen, but better than most. Estimated delivery date isn't until May 15, however. I have been playing music through Senn 558s through a Fiio E7 from an iPad 3 through the CCK. I understand, however that the T1 DAC runs off of the USB and not off of the mains. Due to the ios' power limitation, I assume that I will need to use aa powered hub. Is this correct? I have ordered the basic T1 with the stock tube. I assume that I will burn the unit in with the stock tubes. Can someone recommend a basic inexpensive upgrade tube. I have done much reading on this and the tube rolling threads, but would lika to know if there is an agreed upon first step up tube.

Thanks.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,603 of 8,309
Quote:

It's not yet clear if there is any sonical differences between different Ultrons, but I have found my Ultron to be slightly less fatiguing than my orange globe (especially with rock).

I'd say that it's not actually clear that everything labeled an Ultron is the same tube. Coil and I have markedly different opinions regarding the Ultron vis. the Amperex GAC and the Mullards. Honestly, I'd put my Voskhods ahead of the Phillips PCC189 and the Ultron in terms of musicality (a hard term to define, but by it I mean less fatiguing and more listenable over longer periods of time).

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,604 of 8,309
Quote:
The unit definitely gets warm, and the knob gets a little warm too but i wouldn't say "hot".  The tube itself gets hot enough to burn your finger if u touch it for more than a few seconds though.

I've had mine on a few hours and it is hardly warm beyond the tube. Of course, it is situated on the top of my equipment rack so there's no heat build up around it.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #1,605 of 8,309
Quote:
Just ordered the Aune T1 from Amazon (through Pennybuying) for $149.99. Not the best deal I've seen, but better than most. Estimated delivery date isn't until May 15, however. I have been playing music through Senn 558s through a Fiio E7 from an iPad 3 through the CCK. I understand, however that the T1 DAC runs off of the USB and not off of the mains. Due to the ios' power limitation, I assume that I will need to use aa powered hub. Is this correct? I have ordered the basic T1 with the stock tube. I assume that I will burn the unit in with the stock tubes. Can someone recommend a basic inexpensive upgrade tube. I have done much reading on this and the tube rolling threads, but would lika to know if there is an agreed upon first step up tube.

Thanks.

I think this is a pretty good price. When I bought mine, Pennybuying was the cheapest I could find at $160. It was going for right around the equivalent of $200 in the UK at that time. A week or two later Pennybuying had dropped its price to $139. My only regret is that I could have used that $21 to buy another tube or two. I don't trust the super low price on ebay, but we'll see. Hope it works out for those who bought at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back