Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #1,561 of 8,309
yep it's a eh 6922.  I just tried moving the power brick to the other side of the room away from everything, no change.  I also noticed that if I increase the gain to 10, the hum is louder.  I'll just wait til my voshkod tubes arrive and see if they have the same problem.  I have a feeling it's not the tube, because when bypassing the tube dac and using line in, it still has it.  I can live with it i guess
Maybe I am a "goldenears" after all and every t1 has it but only I can hear it :)

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #1,562 of 8,309
My T1 doesn`t have any hum for sure! Only with certain tubes which have thin glass tend to hum only very very littlebit when the volume knob is turned to MAX and nothing is playing. And I didn`t mean power brick about that electricity, I meant placing Aune T1 for example too close to monitor. Also you should check your wall sockets grounding. Another chance is that your PC USB ports have somekind of ground issue. Try to cut off +5VSB pin at the end of PC side of the USB cable, Aune T1 doesn`t draw any power from USB. It is one of the first things I did with my new foil shielded shorter cable (not that I had any problems with stock cable). Also, it might be that you have faulty power-brick.
If problem stays after all those things, I would send that unit back to seller and ask for replacement. It`s not how Aune T1 should sound & work.

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #1,564 of 8,309
buestad, read carefully, he did it already!

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #1,565 of 8,309
Using the aux in with the tube pulled out fixes it.. but as soon as the tube goes back in, even while still using aux instead of usb, the hum comes back.  I don't think it's my pc usb ports because I tried running the usb cable to my monitor's usb port hub and hum was still there.  I have moved the t1 away from my monitor and tried a power socket in a different area of the room..  I'm going to try it with my other computer, a laptop far away from any other electronics.
Coil that's interesting that you say you sometimes get hum at max volume.. I've noticed the volume knob doesn't affect the hum at all
edit: same hum with the laptop in the bathroom.  The shipping cost to send it back is probably about the same as I paid for the 2 shady T1's on ebay.. so I'm gonna wait and see if a new tube fixes it.. hopefully shipping from the ukraine is fast, that's where my voshkod are coming from

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,566 of 8,309
Quote:
Coil that's interesting that you say you sometimes get hum at max volume.. I've noticed the volume knob doesn't affect the hum at all

Hmmm, then it must be something wrong inside the aune or tube is bad. Can`t think of anything else because it doesn`t seem to be tube microphonics due to thin glass like in my case with some tubes. I`m guessing it`s bad tube (shortage, leak etc.).

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #1,567 of 8,309
Quote:
I suspect that this grey plate large O-ring getter version might be relabeled Mullard PCC189 but no certain information on that. Anyway, seems to be great tube also. Will make head-to-head comparing with my Ultron.

I don't see any Mullard markings on it or anything from the Phillips plants, no Siemens markings either. I have a Mullard 6dj8 and it doesn't sound like it at all. My Ultron PCC88 should arrive tomorrow. I ordered a Tungsgram E88CC, maybe it is something like that, but it has been almost a month and still has not arrived from Bulgaria, according to Bulgarian post office it is "Insert item into bag (Otb) and Send item abroad." :)

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #1,571 of 8,309
Like other member said the seller play around with the shipping cost to get most of his profit, FWIW T1 sells for about $100 on taobao, you could probably get it even cheaper offline in china but probably not $60 cheap, not including international shipping. So at best those T1 on ebay are refurbished unit and at worst, different el cheapo tube dac model.

That said I couldn't resist the temptation. 
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #1,572 of 8,309
heh Aune got back to me, $2 for the fences but $20 for ems shipping.. I think I'll just use the tube without protection

Apr 17, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #1,574 of 8,309
Quote:
Like other member said the seller play around with the shipping cost to get most of his profit, FWIW T1 sells for about $100 on taobao, you could probably get it even cheaper offline in china but probably not $60 cheap, not including international shipping. So at best those T1 on ebay are refurbished unit and at worst, different el cheapo tube dac model.

That said I couldn't resist the temptation. 
tongue.gif

The cheapest I saw was 660 Yen, which is about $106 US. They've got to add in shipping, and to the US $50 is about right, maybe a little less. Seems about the cheapest legitimate you can get is in the $135 to $150 range. I'll be interested in see what the folks get for $60.  To be honest, I paid $160 for mine and don't feel one bit bad about it.

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,575 of 8,309
Quote:
I don't see any Mullard markings on it or anything from the Phillips plants, no Siemens markings either. I have a Mullard 6dj8 and it doesn't sound like it at all. My Ultron PCC88 should arrive tomorrow. I ordered a Tungsgram E88CC, maybe it is something like that, but it has been almost a month and still has not arrived from Bulgaria, according to Bulgarian post office it is "Insert item into bag (Otb) and Send item abroad." :)

There probably are no markings because it`s relabeled. And I was talking about PCC189 not 6DJ8, of course they are different sounding tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back