Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 14, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #1,531 of 8,309
That's interesting find. My box is like the lower middle one with both PCC189 and 7ES8 but no SQ.

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #1,532 of 8,309
Quote:
...I broke the plastic fences almost immediately.  I swear the feet are too big to fit in the holes...

...Is the vacuum tube supposed to get hot?  I touched it and it's almost burning hot...

The plastic tube protectors have a tight fit inside the holes. First thing I did when I got the T1 was to file them down. I got two pairs, so if you broke one there should be a spare in the same bag... (I have the black version with 6922EH tube and 230v adapter)

The tubes get hot. Som hotter than other. I depends on the filament current. I can pull out my tubes just after turning off the T1 with no problem using just my fingers.
Look up Vacuum tube on Wikipedia...

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #1,533 of 8,309
I broke two small fences in a row so now I have two large ones :/ I got the silver T1 with 6922.  
Anyone know if this tube is compatible with the T1?  

NOS Amperex 6BA6 EF93 Tube. Orange Globe. Holland. TV-7 Tested STRONG! 1952

what specs should we look for to know if it will work?  

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #1,535 of 8,309
Quote:
That's interesting find. My box is like the lower middle one with both PCC189 and 7ES8 but no SQ.

Things seem to clear up! Wish I had all 3 of them to compare. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #1,536 of 8,309
Quote:
I broke two small fences in a row so now I have two large ones :/ I got the silver T1 with 6922.  
Anyone know if this tube is compatible with the T1?  

NOS Amperex 6BA6 EF93 Tube. Orange Globe. Holland. TV-7 Tested STRONG! 1952

what specs should we look for to know if it will work?  

Please read the thread. There is long list of tubes that will fit for Aune T1 but not this tube you mentioned! And it`s not only about what will fit, you should search for impressions about tube you want to buy. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,537 of 8,309
Quote:
Well, my opinion is still that GAC is better then Mullard ecc88, quite by large. Maybe its because my Mullard is starting to "wear out", it was used when I bought it. Also some of our different opinion might come from different gear and personal listening since we are also at different opinion about Philips pcc189 & Ultron pcc189.

About Ultron, do you have something on the glass bottom beneath pins? 

I agree. Also different ears! 
wink.gif
 Just took a look and there is nothing on the glass between the pins (i.e. the area around which the pins are situated in the bottom of the tube) - just clear glass.

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,538 of 8,309
Quote:

The plastic tube protectors have a tight fit inside the holes. First thing I did when I got the T1 was to file them down. I got two pairs, so if you broke one there should be a spare in the same bag... (I have the black version with 6922EH tube and 230v adapter)

I haven't even tried using the plastic protectors since installing the stock tube and listening for the first time. I start to install them, immediately ran into problems and realized I would either break the protectors or the tube and gave up. Since I swap out tubes so frequently and have no small children, it is not an issue for me to not use them.

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #1,539 of 8,309
Quote:
Someone in here commented not long time ago:

Quote:
Finally got mine after a month and a half of wait. Right of of the box I was impressed. Mine came with the EH 6922 tube. 

Now keep in mind I have 5 Dacs laying around here to compare it to. 

Emotiva XDA-2
Aune X1
Bel Canto 2.5
Keces DA-151 MKII
Schitt Bifrost

And honestly, the T1 is leaps and bounds above its price range. I am comparing it to a dac costing $2500, and 4 others that run about $350-400. 

Here is what I noticed right out of the box. It is SMOOTH, without losing any detail. The soundstage is very wide. I am able to place instruments with ease. Bass was not very well defined though. I gave the 6922 tube about 3 hours last night before the tube rolling started.

Next went in an E88CC labelled Tungsram. This tube tightened up the bass, and seemed to widen the sound stage a tad. A little smoother than the 6922.

After that it was an Amperex 6DJ8. This tube is a midrange king! Guitars just come alive. But, its a little too soft on the top and bottom for my taste. 

Then a Russian 6HN1(61N) went in. Very crisp tube I must say. Little too crisp, but it may need time to break in as this tube was brand new.

This may be one of those "chifi" wonders. A piece of equipment that performs well above its price range, by a large amount. But, of course, most "audiofools" will discount it because its made in china and its cheap. I paid $129.99 shipped for mine off Ebay. 

All of this was on my main stereo system, not headphones. So I got my headphones out an hour ago. DT990 Premiums(250 ohm). This T1 drives these great! According to the specs, the headphone section looked a bit weak, but I am beginning to think there's a misprint somewhere. The power supply brick for this uses a dual rail(+15v and -15v). So how in the world does this have less power than the Aune X1 that uses a single 15v rail? So I decided to get my scope, tone generator, and meter out. 

At 1khz sine wave, on a 32 ohm load, I measured 22 volts peak to peak before clipping. The specs of this thing say its only capable of 10v P-P. So what does this mean? Thats 15 watts at 32 ohms, 1.9 watts at 250 ohms, and 806mw at 600 ohms. This is MORE than enough to drive any headphone. 

I will add my headphone review after a few hours of listening.....

Thank you for finding that. I thought I was going insane and I had made that post up when I couldn't find it again!

So just as I suspected. These will drive the most planar magnetics just fine :)

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,540 of 8,309
Quote:

Thank you for finding that. I thought I was going insane and I had made that post up when I couldn't find it again!

So just as I suspected. These will drive the most planar magnetics just fine :)

I don't want to question lwrs10's calculating skills, but aren't his measured numbers a bit unreasonable?  I know that most expensive full sized desktop amps can only output maybe 3-5 watts into a 32ohm load, so isn't 15watts for our little T1 a bit ridiculous? 

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #1,542 of 8,309
Quote:
I don't want to question lwrs10's calculating skills, but aren't his measured numbers a bit unreasonable?  I know that most expensive full sized desktop amps can only output maybe 3-5 watts into a 32ohm load, so isn't 15watts for our little T1 a bit ridiculous? 

I was thinking something similar so I'm checking with lwrs10 as to how he got those results and if there's any way for me to replicate them. I would love to confirm lwrs10's testing method. I'm genuinely curious as to how much power the T1 outputs compared to say a Magni or Lyr, and the way I see it, who needs a Lyr if the T1 outputs that much wattage 
wink.gif

37004571.jpg

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #1,543 of 8,309
I just put in my order on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aune-T1-DAC-Hi-Fi-Pre-amp-Audio-Amp-24Bit-96KHz-6N11-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-/130889822865?pt=Home_Automation_Kits&hash=item1e79a43291

$59.70​
 including shipping!  Lets hope this order goes well!  

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #1,544 of 8,309
Haha if you look at his feedback, there's like 20 feedbacks from "usasellershop" about a charge cord.
Nonetheless I couldn't pass it up and tried to order 2 of them.  Let's see what happens.. I guess paypal protection will refund our money if he never ships.
In other news I ordered 8 used[size=14.399999618530273px] voshkod 6n23p from ukraine.. hope this goes well :p[/size]

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,545 of 8,309
I was thinking the same thing about ebay buyer protection. And, for $60, really can't lose.

I'm using an old creative x-mod external sound card that I've had for years, but have been looking for an upgrade to a dac/amp combo. This seems to be the best thing out there from what I could find for the money.  Let me know if you find any good deals on replacement tubes.  And PM me when/if you get Aune T1.

-AudioFrog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back