Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 13, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #1,516 of 8,309
Quote:
Could be. But what markings your Ultron has?

Coil,

These are about the best pics I can get. Halo getter, gold lettering.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #1,517 of 8,309
Hmmm, ok you have also golden logo Ultron and it looks same as I have but yours is coded 52502. Does it have any factory code @ usual place? The ones Salvatore is sending me are coded 50402. Wierd, because his tubes should be older batch if we consider that number but have white logo and markings. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #1,518 of 8,309
Quote:
Hmmm, ok you have also golden logo Ultron and it looks same as I have but yours is coded 52502. Does it have any factory code @ usual place? The ones Salvatore is sending me are coded 50402. Wierd, because his tubes should be older batch if we consider that number but have white logo and markings. 

Unfortunately the factory codes are mostly gone and what is left can barely be made out. I'm listening to my Mullard again, with Bill Evans just to validate that I still can hear what I thought I heard initially with this tube. It is, I believe, the best sounding tube I have. The bass extends just a bit more, with a tad more tightness than the GAC but still with a great mid range presentation. Nothing shrill or unpleasant about this tube at all!!

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #1,519 of 8,309
Well, my opinion is still that GAC is better then Mullard ecc88, quite by large. Maybe its because my Mullard is starting to "wear out", it was used when I bought it. Also some of our different opinion might come from different gear and personal listening since we are also at different opinion about Philips pcc189 & Ultron pcc189.

About Ultron, do you have something on the glass bottom beneath pins? 

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,520 of 8,309
My T1 finally arrived!  This is my first headphone amp.  Actually I think I had a corda headsix I bought used off here years ago but I have absolutely no recollection of it.  It may never have arrived even.  I broke the plastic fences almost immediately.  I swear the feet are too big to fit in the holes.  Is the vacuum tube supposed to get hot?  I touched it and it's almost burning hot.  The sound is great, I'm using it at 0db gain with a 12 ohm impedence sony mdr-ma900 so far and it gets really loud.  It's nice not to have to run the headphone cord behind my desk to my pc on the floor.  The volume knob action is very smooth and feels solid.  The aluminum enclosure is probably the nicest looking out of anything I own.  The edges are so sharp.  
edit:  man, it's nice to have some headroom on the volume for once

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #1,522 of 8,309
My ultron's look like http://www.ebay.com/itm/190815371234?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 if you use the firefox addon here, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/ebay-item-description-save-enl/ you can see huge pics of them.  In the hi-res picture they look like someone put them together in their room, but they don't look so bad in person. There were no SQ, special quality, labels on any of them. I've listened to them a lot today and the reason I like them I think is that they provide all the detail of my Amperex Orange globe, bugle boy, etc without sounding so warm and in my grado's I can deal with them longer.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,523 of 8,309
Hey guys, when you install the plastic fences, be careful not to crack them.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think the big one has to go from the front left to the right back..  the holes are specifically cut that way.  so the littler fence has to go from the front right to the back left first.  I'm emailing aune to see where the cheapest place to get replacements is.. maybe they'll just send me some.
edit:  I'm probably wrong about tall/short fences only going in certain holes.  The main thing is to only push the fences downwards into the holes by pressing down on the top of them, DO NOT SQUEEZE them, it doesn't help them go in the holes.
Do any of you guys have a slight hum/buzzing when not playing music?  I do have one.. I have a few things I can try to fix it like a different driver, or usb port.  maybe move power adapter around or use another 3.5 to 6.3mm adapter.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #1,524 of 8,309
Does anyone know how much power the T1 outputs at 600 ohm?  The stats on ebay says it outputs 150mw at 300ohm, so logic would think that it does 75mw at 600, but from looking at other amp's specsheets, the math doesnt seem to always work out that easily.  Are there any official datasheets on this?

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #1,525 of 8,309
Quote:
My ultron's look like http://www.ebay.com/itm/190815371234?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 if you use the firefox addon here, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/ebay-item-description-save-enl/ you can see huge pics of them.  In the hi-res picture they look like someone put them together in their room, but they don't look so bad in person. There were no SQ, special quality, labels on any of them. I've listened to them a lot today and the reason I like them I think is that they provide all the detail of my Amperex Orange globe, bugle boy, etc without sounding so warm and in my grado's I can deal with them longer.

What!? Another version of Ultron PCC189 ? Yours has large O-ring getter and grey center plate! Totally different from my tube! But reading your description, sounds quite same as my Ultron.

So far we seem to have 3 different Ultron PCC189 `s:

1) With golden crown logo Ultron SQ written in it, metal vertical center plate, small o-ring getter.
2) With white crown logo (without SQ), metal vertical center plate, type of getter - large?
3) With white crown logo (without SQ), grey vertical center plate, large O-ring getter.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #1,526 of 8,309
Quote:
Does anyone know how much power the T1 outputs at 600 ohm?  The stats on ebay says it outputs 150mw at 300ohm, so logic would think that it does 75mw at 600, but from looking at other amp's specsheets, the math doesnt seem to always work out that easily.  Are there any official datasheets on this?

Someone in here commented not long time ago:

Finally got mine after a month and a half of wait. Right of of the box I was impressed. Mine came with the EH 6922 tube. 

Now keep in mind I have 5 Dacs laying around here to compare it to. 

Emotiva XDA-2 
Aune X1 
Bel Canto 2.5 
Keces DA-151 MKII 
Schitt Bifrost 

And honestly, the T1 is leaps and bounds above its price range. I am comparing it to a dac costing $2500, and 4 others that run about $350-400. 

Here is what I noticed right out of the box. It is SMOOTH, without losing any detail. The soundstage is very wide. I am able to place instruments with ease. Bass was not very well defined though. I gave the 6922 tube about 3 hours last night before the tube rolling started. 

Next went in an E88CC labelled Tungsram. This tube tightened up the bass, and seemed to widen the sound stage a tad. A little smoother than the 6922. 

After that it was an Amperex 6DJ8. This tube is a midrange king! Guitars just come alive. But, its a little too soft on the top and bottom for my taste. 

Then a Russian 6HN1(61N) went in. Very crisp tube I must say. Little too crisp, but it may need time to break in as this tube was brand new. 

This may be one of those "chifi" wonders. A piece of equipment that performs well above its price range, by a large amount. But, of course, most "audiofools" will discount it because its made in china and its cheap. I paid $129.99 shipped for mine off Ebay. 

All of this was on my main stereo system, not headphones. So I got my headphones out an hour ago. DT990 Premiums(250 ohm). This T1 drives these great! According to the specs, the headphone section looked a bit weak, but I am beginning to think there's a misprint somewhere. The power supply brick for this uses a dual rail(+15v and -15v). So how in the world does this have less power than the Aune X1 that uses a single 15v rail? So I decided to get my scope, tone generator, and meter out. 

At 1khz sine wave, on a 32 ohm load, I measured 22 volts peak to peak before clipping. The specs of this thing say its only capable of 10v P-P. So what does this mean? Thats 15 watts at 32 ohms, 1.9 watts at 250 ohms, and 806mw at 600 ohms. This is MORE than enough to drive any headphone. 

I will add my headphone review after a few hours of listening.....

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #1,527 of 8,309
Grey shield large halo Ultron here. This seems to be really good tube also for EDM.

Quote:
Is the vacuum tube supposed to get hot?  I touched it and it's almost burning hot.

I've noticed that new tubes get really hot during the first couple of times you use them.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #1,528 of 8,309
I suspect that this grey plate large O-ring getter version might be relabeled Mullard PCC189 but no certain information on that. Anyway, seems to be great tube also. Will make head-to-head comparing with my Ultron.

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #1,529 of 8,309
About the three different Ultron PCC189 tubes. If you look at the lot of ten that MacKajVah bought there are three different boxes. Maybe he can confirm this when he gets them, and also if the tubes inside also differs accordingly. And If he can also compare the sound. Six of then have Special Quality printed on them, Two have PCC189 7ES8 and the last two only PCC189

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #1,530 of 8,309
My Ultrons have SQ boxes with PCC189 7ES8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back