Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 11, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #1,486 of 8,309
I'm interested to know what kind of external speakers you guys use with your T1 and how do they perform/sound?

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #1,487 of 8,309
I have now spent a few days listening and comparing the stock 6922EH and Phillips PCC189, and honestly I cannot hear much difference. I use my K550s and Spotify premium and iTunes (Apple lossless) as source. I've listen to pop/rock/folk (like Mark Knopfler)

Are my ears not fine tuned enaugh, or are these tubes kinda like, or is tube rolling just a hoax?

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #1,488 of 8,309
Hi fellow Aune T1 owners!

I'm looking to extend the cable between the T1-unit and the power adapter (the black brick) so i can place the power adapter on the floor.

Can you guys tell me if this is the correct extension cable for the T1? If not can you tell me the type of cable/plug I need?
http://www.amazon.com/MIDI-AT-Keyboard-Extension-Cable/dp/B0000934ED/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1365683295&sr=8-15&keywords=5+din+pin+cable+extender

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #1,489 of 8,309
Hi fellow Aune T1 owners!

I'm looking to extend the cable between the T1-unit and the power adapter (the black brick) so i can place the power adapter on the floor.

Can you guys tell me if this is the correct extension cable for the T1? If not can you tell me the type of cable/plug I need?
http://www.amazon.com/MIDI-AT-Keyboard-Extension-Cable/dp/B0000934ED/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1365683295&sr=8-15&keywords=5+din+pin+cable+extender
ir

I think it'll fit but not sure if it'll "work". I wouldn't recommend using it, keyboards don't output a large current through those cords so there's no way of knowing if the cord can handle that kind of load for extended periods. You're better off cracking open the transformer itself and soldering a new cable and reusing the head. Or find something else that matches it's intended use.

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #1,490 of 8,309
Quote:
I have now spent a few days listening and comparing the stock 6922EH and Phillips PCC189, and honestly I cannot hear much difference. I use my K550s and Spotify premium and iTunes (Apple lossless) as source. I've listen to pop/rock/folk (like Mark Knopfler)

Are my ears not fine tuned enaugh, or are these tubes kinda like, or is tube rolling just a hoax?

I still did not receive the PCC189, it is nearing 3 weeks now.

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,491 of 8,309
Quote:

Then it must be your ears because 6922EH and Philips PCC189 are certainly totally different sounding tubes!
Tube rolling with Aune T1 hoax? LOL. I think your ears are not fine tuned enough like you said.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #1,492 of 8,309
Quote:

It's no easy task I know. All tubes have this Aune T1 signature sound, but some tubes just have better resolution, transparency, sound stage etc. Try to focus on one thing at a time during your A/B rolls or it will get overwhelming. Analyze the bass (punch, resolution), warmness (is the warmness present through the whole spectrum), sound stage (wideness and deepness), transparency (how easy it is to separate instruments, layers) and imaging (is it easy to locate all instruments/vocals and are they located reasonably).

On another note, I'm listening Ultron PCC189 right now. This tube is an absolute steal for €6.6. Not as clear, detailed and layered as 7308 amperex, but highly musical and enjoyable. Smooth with good sound stage and nice punchy bass. Price over performance wise definitely one of my best tubes. I've had hard time listening some rock (RHCP for example) because it can get easily fatiguing in my system. With this tube rock is, however, very enjoyable. For detailed jazz and instrumentals I prefer my more analytical tubes. I've also noticed that sometimes this tube can feel even too soft and smooth. All things considered and especially for this price Ultron PCC189 comes highly recommended and should be part of every rollers collection.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #1,493 of 8,309
Let it have some burn-in too, it gets littlebit better but not much. Like I told, this tube is killer for the money! And it does ok with electronic music too. If you have thin wallet and are not so "audiophile" guy/girl, my recommendation - get this tube and forget about tube rolling :wink:

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,494 of 8,309
Quote:

Interesting read. Keep working on this.

And now since my cigar box collection is nearly finished (waiting only for the Ultron to arrive) I want to share some photos of my headphones and tube collection.

Nice collection dude! I see you've got some corrosion on the pins on some tubes. You might want to use some deoxit contact cleaner to get that off. Some issues with my 7308 tubes cleared up with some cleaning.

Actually that makes me kind of curious. Does anyone else use contact cleaner to clean the pins before rolling?

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #1,495 of 8,309
I clean all my tube pins before first use with 30% vinegar + baking soda.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #1,497 of 8,309
Quote:
Nice collection dude! I see you've got some corrosion on the pins on some tubes. You might want to use some deoxit contact cleaner to get that off. Some issues with my 7308 tubes cleared up with some cleaning.

Actually that makes me kind of curious. Does anyone else use contact cleaner to clean the pins before rolling?

Thanks! I only clean pins if I suspect there is something wrong with the sound. Those Teles and Valvo are actually my spares. Looks older (=cooler) I guess :D I use the sh|tty print tubes and save the ones with better prints (Most of my tubes still has very worn or no prints). Lately I've been studying how to interpret those factory codes and it's fun and rewarding stuff. After started doing this been appreciating good factory etching even more. Visible prints, on the other hand, makes these tubes look very nice in your collection.

But yeah this is good point. Maybe I should clean all the tubes that are in constant use.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #1,498 of 8,309
I have tried som more rolling today between the 6922EH and Phillips PCC189, and if I listen very closely I can maybe hear that the PCC189 is a bit more "open". Is it this you guys call sondstage? I find this tube a tiny bit more relaxing to listen to.

I find myself using the PCC189 most, so probably my subconscious tells me that I like this better, or maybe it is just that I payed extra for it :)

I have a pair of 6n23p coming. Will be intresting to see if i can differ the sound with this tube.

Where can I get the Ultron from a trustworthy seller?

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #1,499 of 8,309
buestad, I seriously think that analytical listening isn`t for your ears. 6922EH has larger & more open soundstage than Philips PCC189. 

You can get Ultron from Uraltone or electol but there`s a order cash minimum limit. Salvatore & I got our Ultrons from Uraltone. I already had bought 2 NIB/NOS Ultrons from ebay and 2 more coming from Uraltone (through Salvatore).

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #1,500 of 8,309
Buestad I don't have Philips tube so can't really say. But yes sound stage is kind of the depth and wideness of the sound. By transparency I mean how much air there is between the instruments / how easy it is to separate even the smallest sounds. These are just terms and are kind of overlapping.

If you are interested of Ultron ask McKajVah. He bought 10 tubes and is giving them away for free / small compensation / trades. I think he's also from Norway. Ultron has good synergy with bright AKG sound. It smoothens and tames things out a little bit and you get less fatiguing presentation. Like I said it's very nice tube for rock where you don't need that much analytical listening. Orange globe could be better for watching dialogue heavy tv series. It kind of has more pronounced vocals imo.

My advice is to not spend too much money on the tubes if you feel they sound too similar. Hopefully everyone is using WASAPI or ASIO plugins in their players to get the best sound out. If you feed raw bit stream to your Aune and have good mid to high end cans you should be able to find those fine details between tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back