Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 9, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #1,471 of 8,309
Quote:
Amperex orange globe should be ok. Also, if you can find Mullard PCC189 (large halo getter, metal center plate) then it is very good intimate, foward & warm sounding tube. I enjoy it with some rock bands with external speakers very much.

My thoughts exactly, though I think you could also go with a Voskhod Rocket or a Amperex Bugle Boy and be happy. (Just don't order from Russia if you want it quickly!!)

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #1,472 of 8,309
I'm getting 10x Ultron PCC189 coming my way in some weeks... I'm not going to use them all, so I'll send some of them out for free to anyone who want to test them.
Maybe someone would want send me something in return as well. :wink:

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #1,473 of 8,309
Quote:
I'm getting 10x Ultron PCC189 coming my way in some weeks... I'm not going to use them all, so I'll send some of them out for free to anyone who want to test them.

I'd be interested in one Ultron PCC189. I recently got the Aune T1 from a fellow head-fier here (negura).

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #1,474 of 8,309
Quote:
I'm also more convinced that spending a lot of time listening to vinyl has made the tubes all sound more the same. At this point, I'm not real confident in my aural senses.
cool.gif

True. It's relatively easy to separate bad tubes from the good ones, but after that it can get complicated. Picking the best from several good tubes could turn out to be really difficult task. In this case the system synergy is getting more and more important. I have no bad tubes, but some of my tubes are noticeably better in my system than the others. In practice I'm talking something like 10-15% improvement (could be even higher when comparing the worst against the best).

I'm really happy how my 7308 PQ Amperex sounds. It has some serious synergy with my headphones and I honestly think that it brings the best out of my T1. One of my favorite things about this tube is that it has very very nice bass. It feels natural and has proper punch when needed. For me the 7308 PQ really combines the best properties from both Telefunken 7DJ8 and Amperex 6DJ8. Analytically sharp transparent sound that doesn't feel cold. Good bass, balanced imaging and great sound through the whole spectrum. Lots of layers which help you discover new interesting things from your favorite tracks (especially with good mid to high end headphones). This tube just seems to have it all. My Teles, Siemens and other Amperexes are not far away from the 7308, but they all have just those small weaknesses that separate them from being the best.

E: This 7308 PQ is my first tube with extremely large halo. I bet those old Bugle Boys with large getter sound amazing as well. I have one small-O Bugle, but it's my least favorite Amperex. It's similar but slightly weaker performer than the orange globe.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #1,475 of 8,309
Quote:

You the one who got this lot?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-TUBES-ULTRON-PCC189-NEW-ORIGINALBOX-/261194482336?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cd06782a0

If you paid $42 + shipping for your NOS Ultrons in their original boxes I think you really shouldn't give them away for free. If you like the tube remember to leave enough spares so that they last as long as you need and sell the rest with minimum of $5 + shipping (to at least cover what you paid). I would even suggest you to sell them for a slight profit ($8 or $10). If you don't want to send them for free using your own money you should definitely ask something for the tubes also. I bet many people here are more than happy to pay you what you paid + some extra. I'd gladly get few of them away from you but me and Coil just ordered some Ultrons from Uraltone.

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #1,476 of 8,309
Wish I known this deal sooner, would also wanted some Ultrons. But well, I got my backups also cheap so doesn`t really matter :wink:

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #1,479 of 8,309
Quote:
Is there an agreed upon tube for use with the HE400s? I have a Mullard ECC88 but am willing to try something new!

Honestly, I'm not sure how much difference it's going to make. I started off with the Electro Harmonix 6922 coupled with Audio Techinca's AD700 and it sounded harsh (or harsher than I wanted), so I upgraded to an Amperex JAN 7308 and the difference was great. Sound stage got wider, the bass got cleaner and deeper. I've since upgraded the AD700 to a HE 500 and got a pair of Tungsram red label 6299. I started doing tube rolling and honestly I can't tell the differences between the different tubes. There are miniscule changes to how clean the bass is, or the soundstage, but other than that they're all the same. I'm starting to think that the effect of tube rolling is more pronounced in dynamic headphones, but I'm in the process of testing that out. 

Also, as this hasn't been mentioned before. The Aune T1 powers the HE 500 well (Volume knob half way using the lowest gain setting is a reasonable volume for most songs). Although I would like to test how a more powerful amp affects the sound.

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #1,480 of 8,309
Quote:
Honestly, I'm not sure how much difference it's going to make. I started off with the Electro Harmonix 6922 coupled with Audio Techinca's AD700 and it sounded harsh (or harsher than I wanted), so I upgraded to an Amperex JAN 7308 and the difference was great. Sound stage got wider, the bass got cleaner and deeper. I've since upgraded the AD700 to a HE 500 and got a pair of Tungsram red label 6299. I started doing tube rolling and honestly I can't tell the differences between the different tubes. There are miniscule changes to how clean the bass is, or the soundstage, but other than that they're all the same. I'm starting to think that the effect of tube rolling is more pronounced in dynamic headphones, but I'm in the process of testing that out. 

Also, as this hasn't been mentioned before. The Aune T1 powers the HE 500 well (Volume knob half way using the lowest gain setting is a reasonable volume for most songs). Although I would like to test how a more powerful amp affects the sound.

Maybe you just have great tubes that don't have so much difference. The initial impressions when switching from EH to Amperex could be because of insufficient burn in for the EH? I've reviewed tubes too many times before burnin them in, which has led to hasty impressions. This being said, I still think 7308 should beat EH in every system. Haven't heard industrial Tungsram but what I've been told / what I've been reading about it, it should have similarities with 7308 Amperex (transparent, layered, good bass + all that good stuff).

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #1,481 of 8,309
Quote:

Maybe you just have great tubes that don't have so much difference. The initial impressions when switching from EH to Amperex could be because of insufficient burn in for the EH? I've reviewed tubes too many times before burnin them in, which has led to hasty impressions. This being said, I still think 7308 should beat EH in every system. Haven't heard industrial Tungsram but what I've been told / what I've been reading about it, it should have similarities with 7308 Amperex (transparent, layered, good bass + all that good stuff).

I spent a little bit more than 2 weeks with the EH before the 7308 came in. Plenty of listening everyday which I would consider decent burn in. In the end, the Amperex tube (using the AD700) was considerably better than the 6922EH, which seems in line with what people have been saying about the 7308 tube. The Tungsram 6922 were also particularly good too. I completely agree about your opinion of the 7308.

Other factors I'm considering in the change from the AD700 to HE 500. Bass is an issue with the AD700 which might explain why 7308's bass qualities might've made the change more evident in the AD700 over the HE 500. Also the AD700 are considered fairly bright so and if the 7308 rolled off any of the highs then that would've made them less fatiguing. These issues aren't a problem with the HE 500. So I'm not sure tube rolling made much difference with the HE 500 (and possibly the HE 400). So far, I don't believe bspk will get as much from tube rolling since the HE 400 is already a good headphone. I've already given a lot of subjective opinion so I'd like to test out other dynamic headphones and tubes before commenting any further. I'd rather not FUD this up.

I'll have to try out your great performing tube hypothesis too. I might go buy a cheap tube and test that out
biggrin.gif

Anyone in Sydney, Australia want to swap my spare Tungsram 6922 for a crappy tube?

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #1,482 of 8,309
Quote:
I spent a little bit more than 2 weeks with the EH before the 7308 came in. Plenty of listening everyday which I would consider decent burn in. In the end, the Amperex tube (using the AD700) was considerably better than the 6922EH, which seems in line with what people have been saying about the 7308 tube. The Tungsram 6922 were also particularly good too. I completely agree about your opinion of the 7308.

Other factors I'm considering in the change from the AD700 to HE 500. Bass is an issue with the AD700 which might explain why 7308's bass qualities might've made the change more evident in the AD700 over the HE 500. Also the AD700 are considered fairly bright so and if the 7308 rolled off any of the highs then that would've made them less fatiguing. These issues aren't a problem with the HE 500. So I'm not sure tube rolling made much difference with the HE 500 (and possibly the HE 400). So far, I don't believe bspk will get as much from tube rolling since the HE 400 is already a good headphone. I've already given a lot of subjective opinion so I'd like to test out other dynamic headphones and tubes before commenting any further. I'd rather not FUD this up.

I'll have to try out your great performing tube hypothesis too. I might go buy a cheap tube and test that out
biggrin.gif

Anyone in Sydney, Australia want to swap my spare Tungsram 6922 for a crappy tube?

Interesting read. Keep working on this.

And now since my cigar box collection is nearly finished (waiting only for the Ultron to arrive) I want to share some photos of my headphones and tube collection.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #1,483 of 8,309
Hello all, looking for some feedback before I buy this DAC.

Sorry in advance as I know this is my first post and that this forum is headphone specific, however I wish to purchase this primarily as a DAC to sit between my HTPC and integrated stereo amp to be used with speakers, however would also use it for headphone listening from time to time.

I want to know how it performs as a DAC only, ie using the USB port as an input and the RCA line out then connecting to an integrated amp.

My setup is a Marantz PM6004 amp and Monitor Audio BX2 speakers. I bought this gear recently and it's great with my record player but my current DAC just isn't cutting it, pales in comparison to the record players performance (Pro-Ject Debut Carbon).

The tube is used during the DAC stage right? So I'll get tube warmth even when using line-out?

Out of interest, has anyone used this with XBMC / OpenElec or linux in general? I imagine there's no issues?

I have read a lot of the thread and searched but couldn't find answers to these questions (nor on the greater Internet).

Thanks

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #1,485 of 8,309
When you use USB input then tube buffer is always used and applies also to RCA line-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back