Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Apr 1, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #1,411 of 8,309
Quote:

The bass is still out of this world buuut.

What do you mean by that? Its too loose and lacks of tightness? Damn I wish PCC189 was more available to everybody, I think it would fit perfectly for DT990. But since you have DT880 and it`s perfect fit for your ears, then yes, probably wise to sell DT990.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #1,412 of 8,309
It's tight and fast but there's a LOT of it. impact is crazy on them. they're great when I'm in the mood for trance and techno but they're overbearing for rock. Allman bros shouldn't have a daft punk bass stack. :wink:

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #1,413 of 8,309
Quote:
DT990 should be very good cans and its great you don`t have to sell them. Pairing amp/dac with cans is actually pain in the ass, luckily my modded HD-681 mkII is also very good match with Aune T1, I also enjoy Amperex orange GAC very much with them. For me, HD-681 mkII + Aune T1 is ultimate bang-for-a-buck!
Btw, if you get your hands on Ultron PCC189 then certainly try this tube with DT990.

You can use Aune T1 only as solid state DAC too, just use RCA line-in, it excludes tube from audio chain. But for me, Aune T1 loses it`s "magic" then.
If you want to improve Aune T1 sound, tube rolling is one way to go (most of best tubes for aune t1 have been sorted out in this thread already), to find good match for your music and cans.
But maybe it can be also cans mismatch, but unlikely, most well known cans seem to fit great with Aune T1.

I totally understand what you're saying, and my listening habits have already been discussed in this thread extensively and I've picked up another tube based on the comments of your awesome test efforts. This is what lead me to the "what's next?" question. I definitely could get better cans or better speakers, but it seems to me now that if I were to say upgrade, I'd have to replace the Aune entirely and go for a amp & dac stack. The interesting part of the T1 definitely is it's ability to swap tubes out for customizing the sound to your needs, but being a combo unit in such a small package there are definitely sacrifices made in the design process.

I'm aesthetic freak & a learning hobbyist, so I'm actually leaning towards exploring the Schiit Modi & Magni combo that has been reviewed on another thread, but I'll have to read more really to get a better feel to see how well it'll power some desktop speakers too. Errr this never ending quest to better the sound is scary haha thanks again guys :)

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #1,414 of 8,309
Quote:
You can use Aune T1 only as solid state DAC too, just use RCA line-in, it excludes tube from audio chain. But for me, Aune T1 loses it`s "magic" then.
If you want to improve Aune T1 sound, tube rolling is one way to go (most of best tubes for aune t1 have been sorted out in this thread already), to find good match for your music and cans.
But maybe it can be also cans mismatch, but unlikely, most well known cans seem to fit great with Aune T1.

Unless I'm seriously mistaken, using the line in means you're using it only as a headphone amp and NOT a DAC. The DAC takes a digital source (i.e. via the USB connection) and turns it into analog (the line out and/or headphone out). Line in bypasses the DAC (it's already analog) and just amplifies the signal, either for the line out as a "pre-amp", or for the headphone jack.

Apr 2, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #1,415 of 8,309
Quote:
I'm aesthetic freak & a learning hobbyist, so I'm actually leaning towards exploring the Schiit Modi & Magni combo that has been reviewed on another thread, but I'll have to read more really to get a better feel to see how well it'll power some desktop speakers too. Errr this never ending quest to better the sound is scary haha thanks again guys :)

Not sure whether it is still used or not, but used to be when someone joined Head-Fi they used to be welcomed with the phrase "welcome to Head-Fi and hang on to your wallet" or something to the same effect (e.g. "sorry about your wallet"). It still holds true in any case.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #1,416 of 8,309
Quote:
Unless I'm seriously mistaken, using the line in means you're using it only as a headphone amp and NOT a DAC. The DAC takes a digital source (i.e. via the USB connection) and turns it into analog (the line out and/or headphone out). Line in bypasses the DAC (it's already analog) and just amplifies the signal, either for the line out as a "pre-amp", or for the headphone jack.

Yeah, you are probably right, it should use only amp part when using rca line-in. My mistake.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #1,417 of 8,309
Quote:

I totally understand what you're saying, and my listening habits have already been discussed in this thread extensively and I've picked up another tube based on the comments of your awesome test efforts. This is what lead me to the "what's next?" question. I definitely could get better cans or better speakers, but it seems to me now that if I were to say upgrade, I'd have to replace the Aune entirely and go for a amp & dac stack. The interesting part of the T1 definitely is it's ability to swap tubes out for customizing the sound to your needs, but being a combo unit in such a small package there are definitely sacrifices made in the design process.

Magni/Modi =/= upgrade, it is a lateral move at best and debatably worse than the T1 in terms of SQ.  Separates may be better at some point in your future, but the M/M stack is not where you should start.  

Also, M/M stack will not power speakers.  You will need powered speakers like the ones from Audioengine or something like the Emotiva a100 plus speakers. 

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #1,418 of 8,309
I'm in the office and I don't know why I'm frowning. I have my headphones on my head plugged into the computer, streaming some Beck and Daft Punk off youtube. Called up on my colleague to try and listen if something is wrong.
"Sounds okay. Why?" Never mind.

I'm spoiled, this music didn't feel good and my body was trying to tell me something is wrong. Don't know that's a good thing or a bad thing.
I need to bring my T1 and my hard disk + music files.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #1,419 of 8,309
So I got one of these today as I needed a dac for the office etc, so far I'm not totally blown away I have to say. I mean it doesn't sound bad, maybe this thread just got me a little too hyped.

I don't have all my decent equipment here at the moment to give it a good listen and compare but I do have a Zero dac and I certainly wouldn't say the T1 is any better.

I didn't really try the original value (had a ECC88 Mullard kicking around) but will and need to let things bed in before passing judgement. Also I only have dt770 pro80's and ultrasone 780's here to try which are both bass heavy so not ideal.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #1,420 of 8,309
Quote:

Magni/Modi =/= upgrade, it is a lateral move at best and debatably worse than the T1 in terms of SQ.  Separates may be better at some point in your future, but the M/M stack is not where you should start.  

Also, M/M stack will not power speakers.  You will need powered speakers like the ones from Audioengine or something like the Emotiva a100 plus speakers. 

whoa, that definitely saved me some reading! I'm running Creative T40's right now so I think they're powered, although the M&M switch if it is a lateral move at best would be an utterly waste of money then I'd definitely be happier sticking with the T1! Thanks for the heads up toschek!

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #1,421 of 8,309
Quote:
So I got one of these today as I needed a dac for the office etc, so far I'm not totally blown away I have to say. I mean it doesn't sound bad, maybe this thread just got me a little too hyped.

I don't have all my decent equipment here at the moment to give it a good listen and compare but I do have a Zero dac and I certainly wouldn't say the T1 is any better.

I didn't really try the original value (had a ECC88 Mullard kicking around) but will and need to let things bed in before passing judgement. Also I only have dt770 pro80's and ultrasone 780's here to try which are both bass heavy so not ideal.

Zero DAC is all the way transistor, Aune T1 is different because tube buffer and its sound. It might be that you just like transistor based sound more for your ears.

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #1,422 of 8,309
CoiL, I got that $6,95 Philips PCC189 tube you mentioned. 

Even though it is still burning in, I already like it more than the Heerlen Mullard ECC88 I have. From the outside though, they look very very similar. 

It sure sounds better than the Gold Lion. I could have bought 10 Philips tubes for the same money... 
blink.gif

Thanks for the pointer!

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #1,425 of 8,309
Quote:
CoiL, I got that $6,95 Philips PCC189 tube you mentioned. 

Even though it is still burning in, I already like it more than the Heerlen Mullard ECC88 I have. From the outside though, they look very very similar. 

It sure sounds better than the Gold Lion. I could have bought 10 Philips tubes for the same money... 
blink.gif

Thanks for the pointer!

Good to hear that someone confirms my recommendation about that tube. There are still 4 available: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-PCC189-7ES8-NOS-NIB-VINTAGE-VACUUM-TUBE-HEERLEN-HOLLAND-/261186327538?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3ccfeb13f2

And for me that comparing note about Gold Lion is good to hear, thought buying that tube at some point, glad I didn`t.
Now, try to get your hands on Ultron PCC189 or Miniwatt-Dario PCC189 too 
wink_face.gif
 like I said earlier, for my ears, Ultron PCC189 is even better for rock/metal/progressive/jazz than Amperex Orange GAC and Dario is ultimate tube for everything. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back