Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Mar 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #1,306 of 8,309
Quote:
If these are anything like the Phillips PCC189 I got (NOS), they take a bit of burning in before the sound good. I'm (e: NOT) quite as enthused about them as Coil is - my Mullard is significantly more engaging to me than the Phillips, but it is a very nice tube and more than worth what I paid ($10.07 including shipping). I spent a couple days burning it in with "brown" noise.

I would say I`m not enthused but they are great tubes, especially for the price. Forgot if I asked about your Mullard ECC88... do you have Heerlen or Blackburn version? There are also many other things to consider, ppl hear differently, different cans, different music etc. But seems that I have littlebit different opinion from yours about "engaging" and how it "should" sound like. It`s like Salvatore and icecap are on different opinion about Gold lion. Nothing bad about it, just saying that there are lots of other things to consider. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #1,309 of 8,309
Dumb question, the flippable switch on the back of the t1.. is that the power switch?  or gain high/low?  This is my first amp and I'm going to pair it with 50 ohm sennheiser hd595 and 12 ohm sony mdr-ma900.  Is that a bad pairing?  For low ohm headphones should I get a cheaper/lower power amp?
edit: figured it out, it's the power switch.  To adjust gain there are little dip switches you can flip if you open the amp up.  For my headphones should I turn the gain down to the lowest settings?

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #1,310 of 8,309
Quote:
Dumb question, the flippable switch on the back of the t1.. is that the power switch?  or gain high/low?  This is my first amp and I'm going to pair it with 50 ohm sennheiser hd595 and 12 ohm sony mdr-ma900.  Is that a bad pairing?  For low ohm headphones should I get a cheaper/lower power amp?

Not really sure what SW means, but I use that switch to turn off the power when changing tubes. Gain switches are located at the bottom of the amp.

E: Yes my recommendation is to use the lowest gain as possible.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #1,311 of 8,309
Oh I see where to set it now.  First time I've seen the bottom of the t1.  It kind of detracts from the look.  So the 4 switches are two each per stereo channel?  Anyone know exactly how many ohms or whatnot each level corresponds with?

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #1,312 of 8,309
Guys, didn`t you get thing called MANUAL with your T1? It should be there inside the package! Read it, there is shown how much gain in which switches positions you get. 

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #1,313 of 8,309
Quote:
Oh I see where to set it now.  First time I've seen the bottom of the t1.  It kind of detracts from the look.  So the 4 switches are two each per stereo channel?  Anyone know exactly how many ohms or whatnot each level corresponds with?

If I understood correctly you don't own the T1 just yet and hence the questions. There are two sockets with two switches on both. When all the switches are turned down (off) it's 0db gain. When the first switches from both sockets are turned up it's +10db and when all the switches are up it's +16db gain.

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #1,314 of 8,309
Quote:
Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 orange globe, Miniwatt/Dario PCC189 (NOT same as miniwatt pcc189 ! ) and Ultron PCC189 are the must have tubes imho. For electronic atmospheric music JAN Sylvania 6922 is littlebit better than 6922EH but not really worth to get if you have already 6922EH, unless you get it cheap like I did.

My favorite tubes at the moment are Telefunken 7DJ8, Amperex A-frame 6DJ8 and Siemens 7DJ8. They all have their strenghts and weaknesses, but they also complement each other very well. I could actually see myself coming along just fine with these three tubes alone.

I guess I don't have to tell you again how that Amperex sounds, but it's indeed very lush and mellow sounding tube with great soundstage and imaging. Highly musical with great mids and vocal presence. Its major downside is, however, the lack of clarity and tightness especially in low frequencies. The bass is somewhat boomy and lacks the resolution if compared to some other tubes.

This leads me to Telefunken, which is easily the most natural sounding tube in my collection. I really enjoy its wide holographic super transparent presentation. Everything seem neutral without any coloration whatsoever. The most obvious downside is the slightly laid back vocals. It can also feel less musical and engaging as compared to the more aggressive and lusher tubes.

Siemens is the vocal king! Seems like everything is laid in a way that vocals can really shine. Goes very well with acoustic and semi acoustic songs as well as those good old oldies. I enjoy this tube especially when listening artists such as Chet Atkins and Bobby Vinton. It's also suprisingly good for rock and blues thanks to the focused sound stage and imaging.

It seems I just won 4 Amperex orange globe A-frames for $21.61 + $16 for shipping. I really don't need all 4 of them so I'm willing to sell 2 or even 3 of them for anyone who is interested of trying them out or just needs a spare tube for their collection. I might have to pay customs (24%), but could probably sell them for about €10 a piece + shipping. If you live in EU the postage in bubble plastic envelope should be only few euros. It was this listing if you want to check the photos and measurement results: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amperex-Holland-A-Frame-6DJ8-ECC88-dimpled-disc-getter-strong-matched-quad-/160992730854?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=%252B%252B%252BJ9Pq7QFeWIWEWSYMh9%252FHj5Uk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I will of course also test that they work in my T1 before sending them. I could also sell one of my rocket logos, my gold lion, Electro Harmonix and maybe even one of my Teles or Valvos. PM me if interested.

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #1,315 of 8,309
I'm considering getting one of these to power my 250-Ohm DT880s but am a little worried about the tube as I would want to take it to LAN parties as well as use it as home. 
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #1,316 of 8,309
Quote:
Amperex 6DJ8/ECC88 orange globe, Miniwatt/Dario PCC189 (NOT same as miniwatt pcc189 ! ) and Ultron PCC189 are the must have tubes imho. For electronic atmospheric music JAN Sylvania 6922 is littlebit better than 6922EH but not really worth to get if you have already 6922EH, unless you get it cheap like I did.

Hi CoiL! I notice the above PCC189 tubes are regarded pretty well by you:) I currently have the Gold Lion E88CC/6922 plugged into my Aune T1. Can I ask how the PCC189s sound like in comparison to the gold lions & stock tube and what kinda music they are suited for?(Pardon me if you've already done comparisons that i may have missed out! ) I've gotten really excited about them PCC189s from reading your comments but I reside in Asia thus I can't really seem to get hold of them that readily and cheap:frowning2:  I listen to all kinda songs btw and i'd really appreciate if i can get some input as to how i can get them tubes you mentioned. Thanks in advance!

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #1,318 of 8,309
Don`t know about that General Electric tube. No info on that. I've seen it on sale but no interest for me yet.

Its major downside is, however, the lack of clarity and tightness especially in low frequencies. The bass is somewhat boomy and lacks the resolution if compared to some other tubes.

This part doesn`t sound like my Amperex GAC at all. My tube has pretty good clarity and tightness. Bass isn`t boomy at all, maybe should have littlebit more kick and tightness but certainly not boomy. I think some part of our tubes difference comes from different cans.

Dashie, please read earlier posts. Sorry but don`t bother to write my tube impressions all over again. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back