Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #932 of 8,309
Quote:

I have just received the Amperex, the markings are mostly gone, but orange Amperex fonts, ECC88, Made in Holland. Single leg, round getter, no dimples. Not sure where this sits as Amperex varieties go, but I will give it a test run very shortly.

Later edit:
I have just finished a couple of comparison rounds of accross several music genres, from accoustic, electronic to rock and metal. Gear used: Aune T1 DAC, Vioelectric V200, Audeze LCD-2.

In the last week(s) or so, my Mullard ECC88/6DJ8/Holland turned out to be my de-facto choice so this is what I will compare with. To me it strikes the best balance out of the tubes I have for naturalness, impact, bass, mids and presentation (imaging, soundstage) for most of my music. In fact I haven't even touched any of the other tubes in one week.

In comparison this Amperex sounds a bit congested in presentation with a very narrow soundstage (everything's much closer to my head or closely left/right). And this is compared to the Mullard. :) Not impressed with the positioning and imaging. Very tight bass, the punch and extension however are lower compared to the Mullard, and there's a bit more treble presence. I will keep trying a few more genres, but whereas I know where I will be using the EH (for its larger soundstage), I am not sure where the Amperex fits at the moment.

Going back to the Mullard is like meeting an old pal for a few pints. Puts a smile on my face.

Yeah, it`s certainly not the tube I have. "Glad" that you bought it ;D I found 2 amperex dimple discs but not sure if I`m going to buy them. I still haven`t recieved my Lorenz PCC189`s.

Do you have shield logo Mullard ecc88/6dj8 with A frame support? I think I have the same Mullard and it`s the closest to my amperex dimple disc.

Feb 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #933 of 8,309
Quote:
Do you have shield logo Mullard ecc88/6dj8 with A frame support? I think I have the same Mullard and it`s the closest to my amperex dimple disc.

Yes, the same. I bought it cheap too. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #934 of 8,309
Mine was also quite cheap. Great tube for Aune T1 :wink: 

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #935 of 8,309
I just found a matched pair of dimple a-frames for $45, hope they are as good as you say.   I received a pair of Lorenz PCC88s today, they are pretty damn nice too.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #936 of 8,309
Purchased an Amperex Bugle Boy 6dj8/ECC88 earlier today supposedly c. 1965. Looking forward to getting my Aune and having some fun!

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #938 of 8,309
This link says that 12AU7 can be used? Anyone tried? I assume there must be some internal pot adjustment?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aune-T1-24Bit-96KHz-DAC-Hi-Fi-Decoder-Preamp-With-6N11-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-/200850603888?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2ec3a0ff70

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #939 of 8,309
Quote:
This link says that 12AU7 can be used? Anyone tried? I assume there must be some internal pot adjustment?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aune-T1-24Bit-96KHz-DAC-Hi-Fi-Decoder-Preamp-With-6N11-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-/200850603888?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2ec3a0ff70

I saw that too, but only on that one eBay store.   I'm not sure if it's real or not, I sent an inquiry to the person who sold me mine, they've always been responsive in the past.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #940 of 8,309
Yeah, it`s certainly not the tube I have. "Glad" that you bought it ;D I found 2 amperex dimple discs but not sure if I`m going to buy them. I still haven`t recieved my Lorenz PCC189`s.

Is this the same as the dimple getter you have? No picture of the actual getter, just the frame.

Feb 24, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #941 of 8,309
Hello, new member here and new to the Aune T1 and valves.  I been reading this thread and getting ready to order some tubes , allready ordered some rocket tubes mentioned earlier in this thread, but seems i've been unlucky with the seller as he has not sent them yet ( ordered two weeks ago) and don't reply to my email.

I am now thinking of ordering some mullard ecc88 and wondered if these would be a good buy.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC88-MULLARD-6DJ8-HOLLAND-NOS-VALVE-TUBE-/390428928664?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item5ae760aa98

or should i look for some other.

thank you for your help.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #943 of 8,309
Quote:
Is this the same as the dimple getter you have? No picture of the actual getter, just the frame.

No. I`ve already showed & told you what mine looks like. These have A shaped support leg, mine has single support leg and dimpled disc getter. Those on picture are probably earlier ones with GAE factory code and should also have dimpled discs. Mine has GAC factory code.

Ok, was maybe going to buy these but I`ve decided I have enough tubes already and will let someone else to have the chance (they are VERY rare!). I`m probably going to hate myself later not buying these... here they are: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380582105973?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Btw, if someone is interested of 3 cheap PCC189`s then get them: http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310597717734&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:MY:1123

I already have enough tubes and just won auction on 2 Mullard PCC189 with yellow old style logo (got them really cheap). They should be at least as good as Mullard ECC88 with white shield logo but we`ll see/hear. 
When I get them and Lorenz PCC189 too, I`ll make longer comparing comment along with Philips PCC189.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #944 of 8,309
Quote:
Hello, new member here and new to the Aune T1 and valves.  I been reading this thread and getting ready to order some tubes , allready ordered some rocket tubes mentioned earlier in this thread, but seems i've been unlucky with the seller as he has not sent them yet ( ordered two weeks ago) and don't reply to my email.

I am now thinking of ordering some mullard ecc88 and wondered if these would be a good buy.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC88-MULLARD-6DJ8-HOLLAND-NOS-VALVE-TUBE-/390428928664?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item5ae760aa98

or should i look for some other.

thank you for your help.

Imo it`s too expensive. I would look for cheaper one. I got mine for 7£ from eBay. Also if you want to be really sure you get the right thing & tested, then talk to PinkFloyd aka Mike @ rockgrotto forum, he has lots of them and he is willing to sell them for 15£ shipped to everywhere : http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/post/126075/thread 

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #945 of 8,309
Hello, new Aune T1 user here. Got a few reflektor and rocket tubes to experiment with. I am not so experienced to be able to describe the sound signature, but with my grado sr325i's, i LOVE the rocket tubes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back