Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 4, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #571 of 8,309
Quote:
16 Db gain.
biggrin.gif

eek.gif
really? I'm doing well with 0 gain. And yeah T1 is worth the price. One question though. How did you use your E17 as dac only? With L7?

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #572 of 8,309
Quote:

eek.gif
really? I'm doing well with 0 gain. And yeah T1 is worth the price. One question though. How did you use your E17 as dac only? With L7?

Yeah with L7 :wink:

16Db because I settle Aune T1 at half volume and I use my computer to adjust the final sound level.  sometimes when I listen to classical with my K501 I need to crank up a lot the  volume even with 16Db gain. So I stay with 16Db gain and adjust volume accordingly for each headphone I use.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #573 of 8,309
Please try to write more understandable sentences, took me a while to get what you are trying to say.
Have you ever heard HD-681 with mkII filter + custom pads and read about them? Something tells me no. People prefer them to much more expensive cans. I`m on the same opinion as Enuma-elis, cans in the price range up to ~250$ won`t give so much improvement that it makes me to buy them. I am very pleased with HD-681 and see(hear) no reason why I would want anything more - I am already getting eargasm with them + T1 and hear no shortcomings, just as I like it - well balanced but littlebit extension on both ends, spacious, clear details and multi-layered soundstage. I`m not trying to say that these cans beat everything - surely not! But for me it`s enough and higher league cans are out of question for me because of price. Also, very important thingy is personal taste of cans sounding. I have also HD-662F with custom hf filter (very flat and accurate response) and they are great but mostly for studio and analytical listening. For home listening HD-681 is much more "fun" sounding with T1 and I don`t get bored with its sound. And there is also question about what genre are you listening and what kind of soundstage you prefer for it. Also people hear differently. Like you can see from earlier posts - one guy hears almost no difference with E17 and other hears huge difference. One guy says 6922EH tube isn`t wide & spacious enough, other says it`s too much.
So, to sum it up - there are many aspects to consider and nobody can tell for sure that more expensive cans will be better. Pairing up cans with amp/dac`s isn`t easy. Only thing that matters in the end is - if you like what you hear and feel no shortcomings. 

At 4am in the morning and working all night you would have to forgive my lack of cohesion. I tell you what Next time I do a batch order from thomann.de I will get one mmkay?  But if you honestly think a $50 can will beat the K242HD, Denon D2000  which are just examples of under the limit you set, then your in for a rude awakening, stating that is laughable. Although thats not to say there aren't $250+ headphones that sound horrid. aka Beats.

Your telling me to try cheaper headphones, i have owned many and they surprised me, but they are still cheaper headphones, even with tweaks, and they still pale in comparison to real competitors. A great example of a cheaper headphone that can seriously perform is the AKG K242HD or K240mkII, the downside is they need a good component chain, but they bettered my Denon D2000 for sound quality, although the 2 are hardly comparable, different amping requirements, different FR, different Sound signature.

And I agree completely, I made a Denon amp list because of how angry I got at the dumb pairing and complaints of performance, and trust me I did A LOT of research, check the link in my sig if you don't believe me. And then of course you get the elusive "Synergy".
Nobody said you had to, Cold and Clinical is a construct you made up and is totally independent of the phones. If you prefer a different sound and character fine, but dont fault an immensely detailed and accurate phone for not being your preference, either set up the system with the components to move it closer to a preference or use a EQ to make it as neutral as possible. The K/Q 70X have a very easy to work with FR curve. Its easy to get them to neutral or sweeten them however you want. This is a concept the home stereo guys understand from the start and one the headphone guys cant seem to grasp. The only fault I have with them is the depth of soundstage, the air around instruments and a sense of a defined space. Guess what- Tubes

Plainly put - your wrong. You CANNOT EQ anything past the FR, and the sound signature comprises of so many more things, some of which the K70x does very well like soundstage, imaging and clarity, but that doesn't mean its pleasurable, sure there is the odd nutter who likes it, and congrats to him. But this is talking about the general consensus, and they lack some very important parts, musicality, euphoria, intimacy, especially with an unmusical amp. I'm not faulting them, but for most people  their clinical and cold nature is a fault, its the simple truth, and thats where Tube amps come in, injecting the euphoria and musicality and intimacy. 

As in most cases, it's a question of belief:). A believe that sub $250 cans would not be much improvement for me, you that they would be. Get yourself hi-2050, let them 100 hours burn in, and then tell me... Just kidding, but the fact is that I am not planning to get new headphones now, but will try some tube rolling. 
Btw read a thread about Takstar, maybe that enthusiasm will convince to get some...just for curiosity's sake.
wink_face.gif

I got the Denon D2000 at just over $220, and my AKG K242HD at $120, and My Asus Xonar Essence ST at $160, Xears TD-III and Xears XE200-pro at EUR30, Trust I know about underdogs and bang for buck at X price range, and they do punch above their weight, but still, thats like a middleweight being able to get a few good shots in at a heavyweight, but at the end, the heavyweight will still win, unless its an incompetent tool aka Ultrasone Edition 8. Thats why I say. Personally I think you could still benefit from an upgrade.

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #575 of 8,309
WiR3D, learn to read whole sentences and try to understand what I'm saying. You are totally misreading my point. 

But if you honestly think a $50 can will beat the K242HD, Denon D2000  which are just examples of under the limit you set, then your in for a rude awakening, stating that is laughable.

I haven`t stated anything like this. These are your words. I clearly pointed out that cans up to 250$ won`t bring enough improvement for ME to get them when I`m already very pleased with HD-681mkII and hear no shortcomings. This is my PERSONAL opinion.
Will try to get my ears on 242HD/mkII and give my comparsion but I seriously doubt that they are so much better that I would buy them.

And all those words from a guy who doesn`t have T1 himself and haven`t heard HD-681mkII with it? Kinda empty words for me. Pointless to argue when you have no real experience with this combo. 

Btw, this is too offtopic to discuss here. Lets stay on subject - Aune T1  

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #577 of 8,309
...well

If the tracking site is correct, it looks like my T1 will be arriving today.
popcorn.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #578 of 8,309
Sorrodje, I believe "proper" practice is to max all software volume (Windows/Foobar) so that you don't lose bit-depth. Because of that I think I'll be switching from 16 dB to 0 dB. I'm not sure if there's actually a difference in SQ at volume-matched levels though :p

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #579 of 8,309
Quote:
I'm not sure if there's actually a difference in SQ at volume-matched levels though :p

I haven't do any research on this point. I don't know :)

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #580 of 8,309
Quote:
WiR3D, learn to read whole sentences and try to understand what I'm saying. You are totally misreading my point. 

I haven`t stated anything like this. These are your words. I clearly pointed out that cans up to 250$ won`t bring enough improvement for ME to get them when I`m already very pleased with HD-681mkII and hear no shortcomings. This is my PERSONAL opinion.
Will try to get my ears on 242HD/mkII and give my comparsion but I seriously doubt that they are so much better that I would buy them.

And all those words from a guy who doesn`t have T1 himself and haven`t heard HD-681mkII with it? Kinda empty words for me. Pointless to argue when you have no real experience with this combo. 

Btw, this is too offtopic to discuss here. Lets stay on subject - Aune T1  

Agreed, btw I am going to get the T1, and since I need to organise another group buy for thomann I will buy the HD-681 and the HD-668 and then report back. Albeit in 2 months. But regardless. If I don't see the value in upgrading, I'll eat humble pie. But I'm betting my famous left nut that I won't be.

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #581 of 8,309
Quote:
Agreed, btw I am going to get the T1, and since I need to organise another group buy for thomann I will buy the HD-681 and the HD-668 and then report back. Albeit in 2 months. But regardless. If I don't see the value in upgrading, I'll eat humble pie. But I'm betting my famous left nut that I won't be.

Don`t forget to make mkII filter mod, without it there is no comparsion. Btw, I have HD-681 and HD662F if you wanted to order same cans. I don`t have 668b.
For me that humble-pie-eating-attitude already says pretty much about your future opinion. Value in upgrade is each person own to decide. These are our personal opinions and noone can say that yours is "better" than mine. Propably we just have to agree to disagree. But enough of offtopic.

Anyway, got my Mullard ECC88 (BVA, Imported, GAG, delta5D2, A-frame dimple disc getter). First impressions - very good tube for rock/metal/jazz. 
Similiar to my Amperex ECC88/6DJ8. Will rest my ears and burn that tube littlebit, will get more detailed info tonight/tomorrow. One thing is sure - it is among 3 best tubes I have.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #582 of 8,309
Just listening to some binaural recordings, it's amazing, airy and...live. But of course, not all binaural recordings I've experienced are so great. Some examples just for case, you've never heard binaural : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbOmya3X4kw . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6OsYVkyIww . The quality is not very good, but it can show what I'm talking about.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #583 of 8,309
This is just SICK! O_o It sounds so freaking real with Aune T1 + Mullard ECC88. I actually lowered my head when the newspaper was put on "my head" ;D And those scissors are ******* scary! ;D
This one gives me also chills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nTZ0w-NVm4 ...I´m almost feeling that women breath in my ears. Creeps crap out of me :D 
One more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPTa4_HrPhs

E: After listening those (with HD-681mkII), I think Amperex ECC88 and Mullard ECC88 are most accurate and real-sounding tubes @ Aune T1 from tubes I have. At first I though it would be 6922EH because of very wide and spacious sound but I was wrong, 6922EH soundstage is too big and sound is further away then it should be, both - vertically and horisontally. Also it has more echo/reverb and whole soundstage seems to be pushed littlebit far back from your head.
Thats why I prefer 6922EH with electronic music - gives it more air and "life". With rock music it just gets too spacious-sounding.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #585 of 8,309
Well, the T1 came in.

I was a little surprised on the tube. It's labeled:

6922EH Electro Harmonix - Made in Russia - 12 02

Which I believe is an upgrade, though I did not see anything about that when I ordered.
beerchug.gif

Couple pics: (I got the black version)

I've literally listened to like two songs with my new K702's (maybe 30 hours break-in)

Its sounds amazing to me already.  Volume dial is around 25% when I'm listening.

QUESTION: The switch on back is labeled "SW"  - is this an actual power switch? The tube goes dark if I flip it, but I don't know if its actually cutting power.

Its gonna take me a while to break it in and really get some opinions, but at first glance - I'm extremely happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back