Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #136 of 8,309
Quote:
What size is the tube for the T1? I do want to tube roll but I don't know what size are they. Also how much is for the Mullard tube, LizardKing01?

I had bought those Mullard tubes back in the 90s. Prices have sky rockected since then, so good luck. Any tube within the 6DJ8 family will suffice , like 6922, 7308, etc.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #137 of 8,309
I purchased a 6DJ8 here : http://cgi.ebay.fr/ECC88-6DJ8-MULLARD-NOS-/310512880990?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item484c028d5e ... Not received yet so I can say if it's valuable and enjoyable :wink:

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #138 of 8,309
One more question, if I want to feed the line in from my turntable, and the line out to speakers, does the line out get amped by the tube? I'm asking because there are some amps/receivers that bypass the tubes either the headphone out or the line out.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #139 of 8,309
One more question, if I want to feed the line in from my turntable, and the line out to speakers, does the line out get amped by the tube? I'm asking because there are some amps/receivers that bypass the tubes either the headphone out or the line out.

the tube section is in the DAC part.Try it without the tube inserted, if it works then you know that the tube is bypassed :wink:

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #141 of 8,309
Hey guys, I'm new to this area, just bought my T1 out of China with 6922EH and would like to ask if anybody knows compatibility with 6386 LGP, it has similar specs here http://www.jj-electronic.com/sk/pdf/6386LGP.pdf but no idea if it's compatible, I can give it a try if anybody can confirm at least functionality, sorry for my bad english, I'm from Czech Republic. Btw. perfect match with Takstar HI2050
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #142 of 8,309
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm new to this area, just bought my T1 out of China with 6922EH and would like to ask if anybody knows compatibility with 6386 LGP, it has similar specs here http://www.jj-electronic.com/sk/pdf/6386LGP.pdf but no idea if it's compatible, I can give it a try if anybody can confirm at least functionality, sorry for my bad english, I'm from Czech Republic. Btw. perfect match with Takstar HI2050
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm pretty sure it won't work.

Edit: Looking into it...it might fit and work but...it seems this tube is specifically designed for use with audio compressors...not sure it would sound good.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #143 of 8,309
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it won't work.

Edit: Looking into it...it might fit and work but...it seems this tube is specifically designed for use with audio compressors...not sure it would sound good.

I'm going to try standard E88CC with gold pins (cost 12 Eur) from same producer so will post my findings later, other then that it's pretty hard to find good lamps here in CZ, going to try old Tesla (same as my avatar picture) next week, hopefully will be able to post some good news as those lamps are pretty cheap and should be sound good

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #144 of 8,309
Quote:
I purchased a 6DJ8 here : http://cgi.ebay.fr/ECC88-6DJ8-MULLARD-NOS-/310512880990?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item484c028d5e ... Not received yet so I can say if it's valuable and enjoyable :wink:

Many hours of listening until now : This Mullard 6DJ8 is really really good :wink:  larger and deeper soundstage , both tube smoothness and Clarity , forward and organic mids without any loss of bass:wink: ..defnitevely a must have for an aune T1's owner.  great upgrade from stock tube :) . My 6N23p arrives soon !

You should read this
biggrin.gif
.. Schiit Modi/magni review and .... comparison with the  Aune T1 :wink: : http://www.headfonia.com/schitty-magni-and-modi/

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #145 of 8,309
Hello,

I am extremely new to the whole hi fi audio gear and just so happened to get aune t1 and a pair of AKG k240's as a present. I have a hole lot of questions and am currently reading through the forums researching, but here....  i connected my aune t1 to my mac through the usb and plugged my akg's in, i am trying my best to hear any sound change and it seems like the music is more "deep", don't really know how to describe it. Anyway, does the amp work at the same time with the DAC and in when would i use the line output (is it when i connect it to another amp or to speakers etc)? Any, any help would be appreciated, this new world of better sounding music is extremely interesting to me and i hope to learn as much as i can about in the time to come.

Thank You

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #146 of 8,309
Quote:
Hello,

I am extremely new to the whole hi fi audio gear and just so happened to get aune t1 and a pair of AKG k240's as a present. I have a hole lot of questions and am currently reading through the forums researching, but here....  i connected my aune t1 to my mac through the usb and plugged my akg's in, i am trying my best to hear any sound change and it seems like the music is more "deep", don't really know how to describe it. Anyway, does the amp work at the same time with the DAC and in when would i use the line output (is it when i connect it to another amp or to speakers etc)? Any, any help would be appreciated, this new world of better sounding music is extremely interesting to me and i hope to learn as much as i can about in the time to come.

Thank You

Hi there! Welcome to this great hobby! I'm not an engineer or audio expert, but I will do the best I can to explain how things work. 

The Aune T1 has a DAC section that has a tube in its circuits and then a separate amplifier section that does not use the tube by itself (it's solid state). The way that the Aune T1 is designed is that the tube is only in use when you are using the USB input. For instance, you could take a CD player and use some RCA cables to play CDs from the player into the RCA inputs on the T1 and then to your headphones. In this case, the tube would not be used because you'd would not be utilizing the USB as a source and would just using the T1 amplifier.

Now, let's say you have the Aune T1 hooked up to your computer via USB and you'd like to skip the amp section of the T1 to use a different amp. This is where you would use the RCA output from the T1 into another amplifier. In this instance you will get the benefits of the tube and also potentially benefits from a different/better amplifier. One example of this is my personal setup. I plug the T1 via USB to my computer. I then plug my headphones into the headphone output of the T1 to listen through those. However, I also have RCAs running from the output of the T1 into a small speaker amplifier that is hooked up to some nice bookshelf speakers. With this setup I can listen to my headphones and the speakers simultaneously, or individually without unplugging or moving anything. I just turn the volume up on the T1 to listen to my headphones or turn turn the volume up on my speaker amp to listen to the speakers. And all of this makes use of the tube because the USB is still my source for both the headphones and speakers.

If I were you, I would try out different tubes and see what you like the best since the stock tube of the T1 isn't very good in my opinion.

I hope my explanation was helpful. If you have any other questions please let me know!

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #147 of 8,309
Thank you very much, this was very helpful. I still fail to understand how a DAC uses a tube (but i probably never will). So, from what i understood (and this was a very good explanation) is that the DAC works/powered by a tube, however the amp is solid state, the amp is in no way connected to the tube. For example, if i would like to experiment with a tube amp then, i will need to connect my aune t1 through the usb to my mac then attach the ....(any tube amp) through the RAC output and then plug the headphones into this particular amp? Again thank you for the explanation. I do not want to abuse you with too many questions, but are all tubes the same size? If not, which i suppose is the case are there any specific requierements (if i come to store and ask, or look online and accidentally buy a tube that does not fit)? I am doing my research on how the DAC uses a tube as i sort of imagined it to be simply a solid-state converter doing its business there converting these 0's and 1's into a wave...

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #149 of 8,309
The DAC doesn't use the tube, the amp does.

Through line in or USB, it will be amped by the tube. The tube amped source will be fed through the headphones out. The amp is a headphone amp and is designed to amp headphones with the tube.

The line out however, uses the solid state amp, not the tube.

The DAC is a different component, the amp is another. Don't worry, these things take time to digest. You'll get it eventually no problem.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #150 of 8,309
Quote:
The DAC doesn't use the tube, the amp does.

Through line in or USB, it will be amped by the tube. The tube amped source will be fed through the headphones out. The amp is a headphone amp and is designed to amp headphones with the tube.

The line out however, uses the solid state amp, not the tube.

The DAC is a different component, the amp is another. Don't worry, these things take time to digest. You'll get it eventually no problem.

IMO you're a bit wrong
redface.gif

From what I read here or there and from my personal exprience of all combinations betwenn FIIO E17 and Aune T1:

Aune T1 DAC/amp  = DAC ( Burrbrown chip ) >> Tube pre-amp ( EH6922 EH tube)  + headphone Amp

- When someone uses USB in and Headphone out : USB>> DAC >> tube >> amp >> headphones
- When someone uses USB in and Line out (for example with an additionnal amp)  : USB >> DAC >> tube >> Line out
- When someone uses Line In (for example with an additional DAC)  and Headphone out : Line In >> amp >> headphones. 

For example and Indeed G3 is potentially the same thing without DAC  and Line in implemented BEFORE the tube section .

So the most interesting part fo the Aune T1 is the "DAC+tube" section which allows us to choiose our prefered tubeeAND which allows us to benefit from the tube sound while using another better amp Like a Matrix M-stage or Schiit ASGARD or SPL auditor or whatever you want.

Hope to be understandable
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back