Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 9, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #7,639 of 8,309
Little update on the whole Dead on Arrival situation. 

The seller has actually been very good about it. They sent me the pre-paid return postage label within the hour, and confirmed they're sending me a new one today. 

I think EUWHOLESALE have actually been pretty good about the situation. Probably bad luck. They were very apologetic. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #7,640 of 8,309
Little update on the whole Dead on Arrival situation. 

The seller has actually been very good about it. They sent me the pre-paid return postage label within the hour, and confirmed they're sending me a new one today. 

I think EUWHOLESALE have actually been pretty good about the situation. Probably bad luck. They were very apologetic. 

Glad to hear it!

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #7,641 of 8,309
Just connect my brand new Aune T1 MKII to computer and my first impression is absolutely positive. The decision to purchase was based on this thread so I want to say thanks to the starter of the thread. Next step is purchasing some old SU tubes.  

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #7,643 of 8,309
  Could somebody advise me the gain settings for SENNHEISER HD 280 PRO impedance 64 Om. SPL 102dB? At that moment i use the default gain settings. 

They seem fine with higher gain to me? Not sure what you're asking as you could just switch the gain and try for yourself, they won't blow up or anything.

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #7,644 of 8,309
Hey guys. So I apologize first if somewhere in this thread another person experienced this and found a solution. So far I can't find anything by searching the thread since it's such an odd problem with no common way to describe it...

I've had the T1 mk1 for a year and a half, stock EH tube, used it maybe a couple days a week for a couple hours, so not a ton of use. All of a sudden when I plug in any headphones the sound that comes out is something I can only describe as like an evil robot/devil voice. It's like taking whatever I'm listening to and putting it through a voice changer. I did all the troubleshooting I could think of... It's my only tube related audio gear so I can't check if it's the tube (and also wouldn't really know what a bad tube might sound like). No issues with my computer recognizing it, drivers are fine. Has anyone else heard of a similar issue with the T1? So frustrating because I love this little DAC/amp and now can't even listen to my new Fostex TH-X00 through it :angry:

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated!

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #7,645 of 8,309
Just in case you haven't done it yet - Shut down both your computer and Aune T1 and disconnect from the power plugs. Then turn on the Aune T1 first, then the computer.
Maybe do the same thing but this time change USB ports when you shut both down.
Use the RCA in, monitor with headphones to check if its the amp section.
Use the RCA out, monitor with speakers/another headphone amp to check if its the DAC section.

If the amp section, bad news, you need to repair it (I doubt its amp section).
If the DAC section, you could try changing tubes first. If problem persists, its the DAC board.

I had a bad DAC section with obvious channel imbalance but after swapping it with a new one problem went away.

I don't know, just throwing out ideas.

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #7,646 of 8,309
I'm curious if anyone here would recommend the Aune with a Fidelio X2?

I'm about to grab oine on Amazon, and figured I would grab the DAC as well.  Sadly it's 10-20$ more than it was a few months ago, but still seemsl ike a good idea.

Just to make sure there is only the 96khz version, and no 192khz version riht?

IF the Fidelio goes well with it, I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for tubes for me.  I lke Energetic music, that's engaging and bight, but not harsh..  I like soundstage as well.

Should I go to Upstart and grab a couple of tubes or...?  SOme people also mentioned Ebay, but I'm not sure if I should trust that or not.

Also, some people said we only need driver grade, while others said we might ntoice the difference between driver and platinum grade, so we should get the best grade possible...

Thoughts/

Thanks!!

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #7,648 of 8,309

I'm about to grab oine on Amazon, and figured I would grab the DAC as well.  Sadly it's 10-20$ more than it was a few months ago, but still seemsl ike a good idea.

IF the Fidelio goes well with it, I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for tubes for me.  I lke Energetic music, that's engaging and bight, but not harsh..  I like soundstage as well.

Should I go to Upstart and grab a couple of tubes or...?  SOme people also mentioned Ebay, but I'm not sure if I should trust that or not.

Also, some people said we only need driver grade, while others said we might ntoice the difference between driver and platinum grade, so we should get the best grade possible...

Thoughts/

Thanks!!

I have Fidelio X2's and an Aune. Unfortunately the Tube that comes with it isn't anything special. I actually preferred using my FiiO E10K to the stock tube. I've got an Amperex 7308 being delivered soon. General consensus seems to be this is one of the best tubes you can get.

It may not come for a while, however, as it's being shipped from the US to the UK. I can let you know how it sounds. 

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #7,649 of 8,309

Thoughts/

Thanks!!

The X2 and T1 aren't going to pair very well the T1's impedance is 10 ohms and the X2 is 30 ohms. That's a damping factor of 3... You'll want a damping factor of 8 or higher to have proper bass control in your headphone.

In other words, you'll want to pair the X2 with and amp whith an output impedance of 3.75 ohms or less.

Or pair the T1 with a headphone with an input impedance of 80 ohms or more.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #7,650 of 8,309
The X2 and T1 aren't going to pair very well the T1's impedance is 10 ohms and the X2 is 30 ohms. That's a damping factor of 3... You'll want a damping factor of 8 or higher to have proper bass control in your headphone.

In other words, you'll want to pair the X2 with and amp whith an output impedance of 3.75 ohms or less.

Or pair the T1 with a headphone with an input impedance of 80 ohms or more.

That would probably explain my experience when giving it a quick trial. 

I'm using the T1 as a DAC rather than a headphone amp so it's not an issue for me personally. 

Hansotek I'd look into a FiiO E10K sounds great with my X2's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back