Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jul 15, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #7,292 of 8,309
While I wait for my new tube can I bypass Aune T1 dac and use Fiio E07k for the dac?

I just want to experiment what it sounds like using Aune amp and Fiio dac.

Since this is my first venture into the amp/dac/headphone world I might as well mix and match everything to try out different sounds :)

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #7,293 of 8,309
  While I wait for my new tube can I bypass Aune T1 dac and use Fiio E07k for the dac?

Since this is my first venture into the amp/dac/headphone world I might as well mix and match everything to try out different sounds :)

Im pretty sure you can't. The reason why is because your Fiio E07K lacks a RCA output. Unless you have a 3.5mm to RCA cable, i don't think you can connect your Fiio E07K to the rca input of your Aune T1. Then again, I don't have the Fiio E07K so i'm not sure if there are any other methods of connection. 

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #7,295 of 8,309

So glowy and tubey.

Hottest I measured the tube get is 150F by the way, haha.

Def look better than my white T1!

Im pretty sure you can't. The reason why is because your Fiio E07K lacks a RCA output. Unless you have a 3.5mm to RCA cable, i don't think you can connect your Fiio E07K to the rca input of your Aune T1. Then again, I don't have the Fiio E07K so i'm not sure if there are any other methods of connection. 

It depends on whether you can bypass the amp on the E07K (I suppose it has?). But then I don't think the integrated amp in the Aune is that great. It doesn't even go through the tube.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #7,296 of 8,309

So glowy and tubey.

Hottest I measured the tube get is 150F by the way, haha.

Pshh, thats colder than the weather in my country 
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #7,297 of 8,309
So I'm in the store today testing out the new Oppo PM-3 headphones - which I think will be great for out-of-home use. Then I saw the T1 Mk 2and gave it a listen. In short, very impressed with the sound. This was as good as some of the other SS amps that were more expensive, and who can say no to that glowy tube :)

Anyways I'm planning to get both (the PM-3 and the T1). The T1 will be my first venture into dacs/amps. One question though - while I'm perfectly fine with hooking this up to my pc, I'd still like the option of playing something off my iPhone or tablet once in awhile. I read earlier in the thread that what's needed is as follows:
1) iPhone lightning camera connection cable
2) A usb hub - unpowered is fine
3) Basically hook up T1 -> hub -> camera connection cable -> iPhone/iPad

Can anyone confirm that this works? The people in the store couldn't and I don't really want to go drop fifty bucks on the hub and cables unless I'm reasonably sure it works! :wink:

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #7,298 of 8,309
So I'm in the store today testing out the new Oppo PM-3 headphones - which I think will be great for out-of-home use. Then I saw the T1 Mk 2and gave it a listen. In short, very impressed with the sound. This was as good as some of the other SS amps that were more expensive, and who can say no to that glowy tube :)

Anyways I'm planning to get both (the PM-3 and the T1). The T1 will be my first venture into dacs/amps. One question though - while I'm perfectly fine with hooking this up to my pc, I'd still like the option of playing something off my iPhone or tablet once in awhile. I read earlier in the thread that what's needed is as follows:

1) iPhone lightning camera connection cable
2) A usb hub - unpowered is fine
3) Basically hook up T1 -> hub -> camera connection cable -> iPhone/iPad

Can anyone confirm that this works? The people in the store couldn't and I don't really want to go drop fifty bucks on the hub and cables unless I'm reasonably sure it works! :wink:

It works :)

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #7,299 of 8,309
I see eBay link for Amperex 1965 Holland says it's a used tube. Is that a good idea to buy used? How long are their lifespan?

I bought this tube http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Amperex-Holland-Bugle-Boy-white-text-ECC88-6DJ8-preamp-tube-tested-65-/351293745274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cabd287a&rmvSB=true

But the guy said he's lost the tube.

-----------------------------------------------
Hello,
although I printed the shipping label for this item, I am having trouble locating the tube, and it may have been lost. I will give you a few options:

I can supply you with a different tube, of a similar age, that tests just as well or better;
I can refund your money and cancel the sale;
or you can wait a few more days to see if the tube is found.

sorry about the trouble- let me know what you might like to do.
Adam

What do you reckon?

The other option the seller has is http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GE-General-Electric-6DJ8-preamp-tube-tested-USA-ECC-88-188-5-/351432746218?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51d30624ea

That any good? Or should I just get a refund and look for another Amperex Holland?

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #7,300 of 8,309
  I bought this tube http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Amperex-Holland-Bugle-Boy-white-text-ECC88-6DJ8-preamp-tube-tested-65-/351293745274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cabd287a&rmvSB=true

But the guy said he's lost the tube.

Hello,
although I printed the shipping label for this item, I am having trouble locating the tube, and it may have been lost. I will give you a few options:

I can supply you with a different tube, of a similar age, that tests just as well or better;
I can refund your money and cancel the sale;
or you can wait a few more days to see if the tube is found.

sorry about the trouble- let me know what you might like to do.
Adam

What do you reckon?

The other option the seller has is http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GE-General-Electric-6DJ8-preamp-tube-tested-USA-ECC-88-188-5-/351432746218?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51d30624ea

That any good? Or should I just get a refund and look for another Amperex Holland?

The GE tubes normally don't sell for as much as much as the Amperex tubes... it arguably isn't worth as much. You would be much better to ask for a replacement in kind, which would be an equivalent Amperex Holland tube. See if that is an option... before you agree to anything, you can post here with the info he gives and we will let you know if it's legit. 

It's up to you though :)

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #7,301 of 8,309
Hi,

Was contemplating an upgrade of my headphones from ATH M50 to the HD650, but then I just pulled the trigger on the HD700 MD offer which was quite good and seemed to be a real step up to the next level.

I have an Aune T1 which i plan to use with it. I have not yet upgraded or done tube rolling so far and i have not got much clue on which ones to buy out there on EBAY.

Need your help and suggestions on what types of tubes are good match with HD700 sound signature  and any ebay links to any good deals / offers that i can buy.

Cheers

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #7,302 of 8,309
  Hi,

Was contemplating an upgrade of my headphones from ATH M50 to the HD650, but then I just pulled the trigger on the HD700 MD offer which was quite good and seemed to be a real step up to the next level.

I have an Aune T1 which i plan to use with it. I have not yet upgraded or done tube rolling so far and i have not got much clue on which ones to buy out there on EBAY.

Need your help and suggestions on what types of tubes are good match with HD700 sound signature  and any ebay links to any good deals / offers that i can buy.

Cheers

Tough call, with the HD-700's... such a divisive presentation with those headphones... what genres are you into? What kind of presentation are you looking for? I would also like to hear your thoughts after about 40-80 hours with the HD-700's... it will help to determine which tubes would work best. Eg. if the treble is sounding harsh, or if anything is sounding pushed forward or scooped out.

Of the top of my head, I imagine the HD-700's would respond well to the usual suspects; The GE Smoked glass 6DJ8, the Amperex Holland Orange Globe 6DJ8, the Philips Holland ECC88/E88CC/E188CC... if you want a more neutral/transparent sound, try one of the new Telefunken tubes (cheaper than the NOS Telefunkens), or perhaps a NOS Siemens E88CC... 

These headphones are perhaps a mix of the 650's and 800's, which ultimately fails for a lot of people. If you do enjoy them, it would be cool to hear your impressions with different tubes. I haven't had a lot of head time with the 700's myself, but Sennheiser generally has a very linear house sound, with an emphasis on some midrange warmth with the 650's, and some treble energy with the 800's. Unsure about the 700's. The 650's respond very well to the warmer Holland tubes, the 800's respond nicely to the more transparent Telefunken/Siemens tubes.

All my opinion.

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #7,303 of 8,309
  Tough call, with the HD-700's... such a divisive presentation with those headphones... what genres are you into? What kind of presentation are you looking for? I would also like to hear your thoughts after about 40-80 hours with the HD-700's... it will help to determine which tubes would work best. Eg. if the treble is sounding harsh, or if anything is sounding pushed forward or scooped out.

Of the top of my head, I imagine the HD-700's would respond well to the usual suspects; The GE Smoked glass 6DJ8, the Amperex Holland Orange Globe 6DJ8, the Philips Holland ECC88/E88CC/E188CC... if you want a more neutral/transparent sound, try one of the new Telefunken tubes (cheaper than the NOS Telefunkens), or perhaps a NOS Siemens E88CC... 

These headphones are perhaps a mix of the 650's and 800's, which ultimately fails for a lot of people. If you do enjoy them, it would be cool to hear your impressions with different tubes. I haven't had a lot of head time with the 700's myself, but Sennheiser generally has a very linear house sound, with an emphasis on some midrange warmth with the 650's, and some treble energy with the 800's. Unsure about the 700's. The 650's respond very well to the warmer Holland tubes, the 800's respond nicely to the more transparent Telefunken/Siemens tubes.

All my opinion.

Hi mikoss

Yes, i do see that its a very different type of like/hate towards the HD700 headphones. I was contemplating for a very long time ( read: 6 ~ 8 months ) on buying the HD650 and even tried them in a local store. However, one reason after another made me postpone and now when i could purchase it i just saw this offer and found it a bit tempting to resist.

The wait for the headphones continue : yet to be shipped by MD.

I am more into Rock/Hard Rock, Alternative, Metal, World Music (including celtic sometimes) and some pop/hip hop as well, but no blues, jazz,country, folk; better to give you examples that i listen to ( Metallica,Godsmack, Porcupinetree, AudioSlave, Scorpions, Rammstein, Yanni etc..).

The presentation is actually a tough question, since i am not too sure what to expect: I come with a background of ATH M50 for full cans and SE 215 for in-ear monitors. But I like the guitar riffs to be strong, drums to be fast and accurate (especially snares) and vocals to be somewhat pronounced (need not be -"in your face" types ) and the overall music to be involving and not a clinical representation. 

Let me know what tubes are good and I would appreciate if you can give me the links since tube buying is something I am getting into now and not really what to buy based on the posting on Ebay. I have seen the links posted by you in a bit earlier post, so can i choose a good tube from one of them or should i choose something else ?

Cheers,
Prashant

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #7,304 of 8,309
Sounds like you would enjoy the Telefunken tubes... they are the quickest sounding tubes to my ears. The NOS Telefunkens are expensive, but JJ is currently making rebranded tubes which are supposed to be decent. I would imagine that they do not compare with the original Telefunkens, but it's worth a shot. 

To give you an idea on cost, here are some links...

Original Telefunken tubes - very fast, quick decay, "solid state" sounding, with a very natural sounding tube infused sound... not particularly warm or bloomy... good for faster genres like metal/jazz:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Telefunken-E88cc-NOS-tube-/201388070918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee3aa1806

(Note the getter and the support, with the dimple in the middle and the angle on it. Also note the number code vertically on the side, and the gold pins. Also note the dual supported stage, beneath the getter, and the shape of the grid. The ones made in Ulm, Germany have a diamond imprinted on the bottom... these are the most sought after).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TELEFUNKEN-E88CC-ECC88-CCa-6DJ8-6922-ULM-GERMANY-1968-GOLD-PIN-SINGLE-TUBE-/400959682714?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d5b0f389a

(Another auction with good pictures, note how everything checks out as per above)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1x-TELEFUNKEN-tube-E88CC-E88-CC-NOS-NIB-6L6-300B-AD1-Eb-AD1-350-380-CCA-/261963352743?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfe3b8aa7

(And another)

Here are the new production tubes, made by JJ in Chekoslovakia. The black label ones are apparently hand selected.
http://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.com/products/tubes/black-diamond-tubes/e88cc-tk.php

I would also recommend a Russian tube; the Voskhod rocket style actually does quite well with faster genres, such as metal. Instead of buying off eBay, you may want to contact @rb2013 as he has a selection of tested tubes. He is also a great resource for 6DJ8 tubes, as he put up a fairly comprehensive review. He rates the Russian tubes as #1... I do not. He has a lot of believers in the tubes, and I personally found they worked best for fast genres, myself. The Russian tubes are a crapshoot on eBay, and I would strongly urge to consult rb. They are also fairly cheap, although he probably sells the most highly rated ones for more. I haven't heard any of his "holy grail" rated tubes, so I can't comment on them.

PS. The model numbers and price of headphones doesn't dictate quality... (eg. the Beyer DT-880's imo are much better sounding headphones than some of their newer models.) Just food for thought. Price does not always equal listening pleasure. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #7,305 of 8,309
  Hi,

Cheers

I own the HD700 and the Aune T1 mk1. Besides the stock tube, the only other tubes that I have are all of the Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8 kind.

Some quick impressions of the Aune T1 with Orange Globe tubes and the HD700 combo:

Vocals are definitely pronounced - but they aren't extremely in your face. Guitars come through cleanly and distinctly in rock music (I listened to some Eagles and Aerosmith to test this out), though I wouldn't say they are at the forefront of the music. The HD700 definitely is not clinical here - this combo gives it a bit of warmth that works well with most genres of music. Actually, I really like this combo because the Orange Globe tubes seem to tame the treble of the HD700 a bit (which is good for the HD700, but to me is a bit annoying with other headphones). The only complaint that I have is that the Orange Globe tubes don't seem to provide as much bass in comparison to other tubes (like the stock one) - but I'm not sure how important that is in rock music.

In case if you're interested, here's a couple of listings on eBay that I found for the Orange Globes:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AMPEREX-ECC-88-6DJ8-MADE-IN-HOLLAND-ORANGE-GLOBE-VACUUM-ELECTRON-TUBE-GOOD-L-27-/400957560876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d5aeed82c (for one tube)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SET-OF-4-AMPEREX-ORANGE-GLOBE-LOGO-ECC88-6DJ8-VINTAGE-TUBES-MADE-IN-HOLLAND-/261976576234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cff0550ea (for a set of four tubes)

In my experience, you should be fine buying used tubes, especially if the seller has good ratings and/or provides information how the used tubes have tested on some kind of machine. I actually bought a set of four used Orange Globes like the second listing, and the tubes are still going strong more than a year I bought them.

*EDIT: Actually, I don't want to sound like I'm shamelessly promoting myself, but if you want, I can sell you some of my other Orange Globe tubes for cheap. Just PM me. But if you really are in Europe, I probably can't sell it to you because shipping costs would probably be higher than what I'd sell you the tubes for since I'm in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back