Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Nov 27, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #6,391 of 8,309
I want tubes somewhere in the chain. I have 2 7308's i could use in the lyr. But to be honest, pretty happy right now. Was listening to porcupine tree in 48/24 last night and got the magic. Pretty amazing considering how cheap this gear is(reletively at least lol)

Yeah, tube rolling is so much fun. I remember how shocking it was when I plugged in the 7308's in the T1 a few months ago. It was so different and so unquestionably good, coming from the T1's stock tube. Everything was so much smoother, the soundstage was so much bigger and more realistic.

I just recently scored some vintage platinum-grade Telefunken E88CC's for my LYR, and the sound is like pure happiness flowing into my ears. They are still burning in, and it feels like they get twice as good with every listen. I can't imagine what they will sound like a month from now!

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #6,395 of 8,309
  Can anyone with an Orange Globe and an HE-400 say if it's a good match? I'm thinking about getting one, but not sure about those comments about the OG being weaker in the bass.

Haven't heard them with the HE400s, but I have with HE-500s...

In my opinion, the Orange Globe's made in Holland with GAC stamps on them sound the best, and I found the bass to be adequate for sure. Midrange is probably what I love most about the OG tubes, and bass also sounds very good. They have a nice, holographic presentation that is warm without being overly forward... the mids are probably more "present" than the highs.

I also have to say that I really didn't care for the German stamped Orange Globes I heard... they sounded bright to me and hurt my ears.

OG's should be cheap enough to try... what genres do you enjoy with the HE-400s?

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #6,396 of 8,309

In my opinion, the Orange Globe's made in Holland with GAC stamps on them sound the best, and I found the bass to be adequate for sure. Midrange is probably what I love most about the OG tubes, and bass also sounds very good. They have a nice, holographic presentation that is warm without being overly forward... the mids are probably more "present" than the highs.

I also have to say that I really didn't care for the German stamped Orange Globes I heard... they sounded bright to me and hurt my ears.

OG's should be cheap enough to try... what genres do you enjoy with the HE-400s?

Pretty much everything except rap, hip-hop, reggae, country and pop. I got this pair of GAE A-frames. Would have went with a GAC, but there weren't any under $50 (which was as far as I was willing to go for a tube).

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #6,397 of 8,309

Pretty much everything aside from rap, hip-hop, reggae, country and pop. I just got this pair of A-frame GAE PQ ones. Not sure how good they really are, but it's a start.

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #6,398 of 8,309
Guys, something strange has happened to my Aune T1 - i was writing about big problems with sibilance with dt 880. Also i had problems with normally tracks play - sometimes it stops play for a while (like 1-2 seconds). So i started to search this problem on this topic, i found that i should change buffor lenght (i'm using wasapi push, event doesn't work for mk2 to me). I couldn't change hardware bufor for 1000ms (in foobar preferences-> advanced-> playback). There was an error, but i changed it to 200ms - and sound has changed! There is no problem with sibilance now! Like on old mk1!!! 

But i have still problem with stopping music...

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #6,399 of 8,309
You have Buffer Length and Buffer Size, did you adjust both or just length?  Just want to find that out off the bat.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #6,400 of 8,309
  Pretty much everything aside from rap, hip-hop, reggae, country and pop. I just got this pair of A-frame GAE PQ ones. Not sure how good they really are, but it's a start.

Very nice, let us know how you like them... my personal experience is to give them a good 20-30 hours "break in" time and then you should have a solid feel for how they sound. Nice price too, good scoop!

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #6,401 of 8,309

Browsed the Orange Globes. They're quite costly though. Some even go for $100+ for a piece (not a pair) in ebay. I read a post earlier in this thread that 12AX7 (or was it 12AU7) is usable with the T1. The 12AX7/ECC83 of OG is a lot cheaper than the ECC88, I'm thinking of ordering it.

So, does the 12AX7 really usable with the T1? What are the side effects, if any? The unit got hotter?

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #6,403 of 8,309
@creatip

To use a 12 series tube with the Aune T1, you must use a socket adapter because they are wired differently. Also, be patient. I've picked up some really nice vintage 6DJ8 tubes on eBay for <$10.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #6,404 of 8,309
How does the gold lion tube stack up as an all arounder? I will be pairing it with akg 7xx, I listen to almost ANYTHING, so it is hard for me to get a very specialized tube. 
I already have the gold lion so if it would work well, that would be awesome.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #6,405 of 8,309
I find the amperex 7308 to be an excellent all-rounder, and its only 20-30 bucks more than the gold lion. Some people here think I'm crazy, but i do like the gold lion better to my speakers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back