Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
May 8, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #5,207 of 8,309
So I got the T1 last week and replaced the stock tube with an Amperex 7308 straight away. I ran it non-stop with music for 3 days with a pair of HD600's I normally use with a Portaphile 627. This combo is the one I like to compare other stuff with, so that's my base. I'm running a PC with JRiver to a TeraDak U9 LPS and their USB isolator board to the DAC/amp (in this case, the T1).

I just wanted to make a quick comparison of 4 headphones I've been testing with the T1. These cans all have varying degrees of isolation I need for work. They are the HP50; the MDR-7520; the L2; and the ZMF T50RP mod (Master Model).

I can't use the HD600/627 combo at work, so I've been using, lately, the 7520 with a C&C BH2 amp. The 7520 are excellent with the BH2, as are a lot of IEM's (I use it with a pair of V6-S's).

So first off, the ZMF's really shine with the 627, but the T1 drives them pretty nicely. I just don't like any over-sharpness* of highs in anything, and the T1 can give you a bit of that, even with the 7308 tube. But they sound better than I thought they would with the T1.

The 7520's need more warmth for me, and they sound much better with the BH2. They're one of my favorite over-alls.

The L2's are wasted on the T1. They're pretty lifeless with it. No synergy to me. Got these from Amazon Italy, by the way, for about $267 shipped to Las Vegas. Yet another can that sounds great with the 627. Everything does.

The HP50 hits the spot with the T1/7308. It's got that warmth I need, while not being too much, as they are with other amps. Overall, more pleasing than the ZMF combo.

Just my take.

*I couldn't think of another term. Maybe bright, or brittle. Go easy. 
wink.gif

Thanks, Joe.

May 9, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #5,208 of 8,309

Hiccups?

So, my Aune has been doing some hiccups.  It is playing beautifully and then, suddenly, it hits something and does a little hiccup.  It is short (maybe 0.1 seconds) but very obvious.  I'd say I get one every 10/15 minutes.

I am using Foobar with WSAPI.  I took off my USB and reduced bit depth to 16.  This had no effect.  The hiccups are still there.

Any suggestions?

[]s
Walfredo 

May 9, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #5,209 of 8,309
Just throwing this out in case anyone can suggest a solution, or how to find the solution.
I have channel imbalance in the DAC portion of the unit. Right channel is louder than the left. Anyone can point me to the right direction? 
Sending back is too much trouble, no warranty too. Thanks :D

May 9, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #5,210 of 8,309
  Just throwing this out in case anyone can suggest a solution, or how to find the solution.
I have channel imbalance in the DAC portion of the unit. Right channel is louder than the left. Anyone can point me to the right direction? 

A workaround is for you to "counter-balance" the effect in your player.

May 9, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #5,211 of 8,309

Buy a cheap tube to test and see if the problem goes away. Could be just a bad tube. You can get a 6922EH or a JJ E88CC (even used) for just a few dollars.

May 9, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #5,212 of 8,309
  can you teach me how you ebay so good? hehe

Search it every once in a while for "6dj8" or "e88cc" and also look for tube "lots" where there is an auction for more than one... That is usually the best spot for bargains!

I have a lot of saved sellers, I can send you over a list if you want, just let me know.

May 9, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #5,213 of 8,309
I agree 100%, the 7308 is on my T1 almost all the time. The Voskhod was too forward with too narrow a soundstage for my taste although some swear by it. Another fine tube is the Siemans E88CC gold, but I like the 7308 a bit better. By the way, if you use a source that offers "driver" quality tubes you can save a good deal. They work fine in the T1 which is a tube buffer device. I got my 7308 for $50 USD driver grade. They listed $75 USD for the premium listing.

+1

I've been rolling between the Amperex OG single support dimple getter GAC ∆9F5, and a Siemens E88CC gold A0 1≠ 4F. Both sound somewhat similar to me, so I would recommend either to anyone who is a fan of either and hasn't had a chance to check both out.

I had some other A-frame OGs that I found bright, but this GAC sounds different to me... Detailed and warm, holographic and very nice decay. Now I definitely understand the obsession with this tube. I would say that it sacrifices the very rich, lush sounding mids of the 7308's, but it does such a unique job of creating a warm, holographic presentation that really amazes me. I'm surprised that my music can sound this way.

The Siemens tube is also fantastic... for me, it brings out a whole other dimension in percussion, female vocals, and the top end of the spectrum. It doesn't have the holographic effect, or the sound stage the OG brings, but it just has this clarity and refinement that creates a beautiful experience. I have found they're expensive on ebay, but I do believe it's worth the price if you enjoy female vocalists. As happy as I am with the OG, I roll back over to the Siemens just to see if I could possibly be missing anything, and I'm pleasantly surprised. 

May 10, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #5,214 of 8,309

Hiccups?

So, my Aune has been doing some hiccups.  It is playing beautifully and then, suddenly, it hits something and does a little hiccup.  It is short (maybe 0.1 seconds) but very obvious.  I'd say I get one every 10/15 minutes.

I am using Foobar with WSAPI.  I took off my USB and reduced bit depth to 16.  This had no effect.  The hiccups are still there.

Any suggestions?

[]s
Walfredo 

Have you seen these solutions?

This one assumes windows is the problem:
http://corey.degrandchamp.com/2010/11/25/fixed-windows-7-sound-popping-cracking-skipping/

This one assumes usb is the problem:
http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/1n8y1x/usbdactroubleshootingguide/

May 10, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #5,216 of 8,309

Buy a cheap tube to test and see if the problem goes away. Could be just a bad tube. You can get a 6922EH or a JJ E88CC (even used) for just a few dollars.

I've bought a replacement tube, a same 6922 EH because the original one has a deteriorated left channel. I suspect the channel imbalance is ruining the tube.

A workaround is for you to "counter-balance" the effect in your player.

Right now that's what I'm doing. I'd still hope to be able to rectify it physically as I intend to use it for a long time.

May 10, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #5,218 of 8,309

have you tried different tubes ?

May 10, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #5,219 of 8,309
Head-hi, what are your comments on the HD600-Aune T1 combo?

I think I can say the same thing about the HD600 with the T1 as I did about the ZMF and T1. The T1 drives them fine, but they deserve better and will respond kindly. If you have the T1, but not the 600, or vice versa, you might consider a different addition. But I always recommend the 600, especially when you can get a discount.

May 10, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #5,220 of 8,309

Search it every once in a while for "6dj8" or "e88cc" and also look for tube "lots" where there is an auction for more than one... That is usually the best spot for bargains!

I have a lot of saved sellers, I can send you over a list if you want, just let me know.

go ahead

Users who are viewing this thread

Back