Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 31, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #4,486 of 8,309

You need to use more heat on your soldering iron 
beerchug.gif

BTW guys, I decided to "go all out" and get the NOVIB Socket Saver© due to how tight the socket is with NOS tubes.

That's what I posted about (and lost it) definitely worth it. Chance of breaking the original ? Slim...but if it does, what a pain in the ....

My caps, black and gold...but

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #4,487 of 8,309
lol I gotcha, I would have understood if you said pins!

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #4,489 of 8,309
Well yea you can find the cheap Chinese ones all over Ebay, but if you want quality ones with silicon dampening and the female pins modeled after NOS Philips pins (and the pins are gold/thicker).

Nobody is saying you have to buy these, it's just those with the funds available are going for them.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #4,491 of 8,309
Yea I'm not a fan of the LED under the stock socket, reminds me of guitar effects pedals that don't really use the tube at all.

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #4,492 of 8,309
Yea I'm not a fan of the LED under the stock socket, reminds me of guitar effects pedals that don't really use the tube at all.

I think most people hate it. The white color blocks any glow from the tube. CoiL put a red disc of some type over the LED which looked much better and gave an illusion of tube glow. With the socket saver the LED will be blocked but the tube will have very little glow because it is being used as a buffer only. Ironically even the Woo WA7 uses an LED under the tubes, but at least it is red.

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #4,494 of 8,309
Very cool...congrats..I have to figure out what to do with my overload of tubes...LOL

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #4,496 of 8,309
Interesting AUNE Capacitor find..

So I finally got a capacitance tester today and decided to do some reseach

tested the 330Uf caps from Panasonic - 350 reading

Tested the Elna 330uf - 341 reading

Tested the original purple caps - 335

so they are spot on..Now..that could be because these are broken in vs the other two which have never been mounted....but the point is..they aint that bad...

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #4,497 of 8,309
You can't judge a capacitor simply by the farad reading and there are multiple ways it will vary, the main one being heat and age.

You also have to "worry" about ESR of a capacitor.

This is a great guide and general information on capacitors that I have used in the past: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/captest.htm#ctcoo

I doubt there is anyone in here that won't learn something about capacitors and capacitor testing from reading that web page.  I am an Electrical Engineering student (Jr.) at North Carolina State University and I learned many things from reading it, so check it out if you want to know more about caps and cap testing.  You can technically test a cap with a normal multimeter, but you don't get as much info as you do with a Capacitance Meter.

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #4,498 of 8,309
  You can't judge a capacitor simply by the farad reading and there are multiple ways it will vary, the main one being heat and age.

This is a great guide and general information on capacitors that I have used in the past: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/captest.htm#ctcoo

I doubt there is anyone in here that won't learn something about capacitors and capacitor testing from reading that web page.  I am an Electrical Engineering student (Jr.) at North Carolina State University and I learned many things from reading it, so check it out if you want to know more about caps and cap testing.  You can technically test a cap with a normal multimeter, but you don't get as much info as you do with a Capacitance Meter.

Very true on the ESR....Thanks for the link ! I just fixed a vintage Yamaha M-65 power amp today...I had recapped it and it had a slight imbalance. Turns out that setting the idle voltage (10mv) need to be done after it warms up MORE than the 2 minutes the service guide recommends...Now all my amps are set and I can switch between Tubes or Solid State

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #4,499 of 8,309
  Well yea you can find the cheap Chinese ones all over Ebay, but if you want quality ones with silicon dampening and the female pins modeled after NOS Philips pins (and the pins are gold/thicker).

Nobody is saying you have to buy these, it's just those with the funds available are going for them.

Yes, I looked at those also...but I have come to learn sometimes in some things...the money is worth it...and trust me, I am frugal..I go by quality for price ..not just price ...hey they will work for him though.. all that counts..

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #4,500 of 8,309

I checked my caps with an ESR meter.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back