Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 29, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #4,456 of 8,309
  I've never received a bad tube from her and almost every tube they sell are tested with numbers provided.  Although they do carry lower cost tubes that either don't test as well or weren't tested for leaks and microphonics.

Even your biggest distributors are going to have bad tubes and even the ones that claim to test every tube for microphonics and leaks are going to have a few slip through the cracks.

I will continue to buy from greengirl613 and I've purchased probably 6 tubes ranging from EL84s to 12AY7s from her; it's not like I haven't also purchased from other sellers too though.

These two Amperex 6DJ8s look nice and they are legit (you can tell by the ripple on top and the 2 flanges bent at 90 degrees above the mica spacer)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181291525905

Easy hoss...Lori is great to deal with but I do question the tubes or the calibration on her tester. Did you happen to notice many of the tubes for sale are pretty off on balance ?
Anyway, I should have my replacement in a few days and will report back..I will also give her positive feedback since she has stood behind her stuf...

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #4,457 of 8,309
Still think you guys need to try one of these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-TUBES-AVAILABLE-PRICE-EA-GE-SMOKED-GLASS-6DJ8-ECC88-TUBES-SOME-OF-MY-FAVS-/261302102704?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cd6d1aab0

This type is available from different sellers...and I ordered a spare...LOL

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #4,458 of 8,309
it's not like I haven't also purchased from other sellers too though

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #4,459 of 8,309
  I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the $129 /shipped deal for this. Bypass my Auzen Forte (after 7 years of service) and replace my FiiO E9 after several years of service with this one unit that will be my sound device for my PC, headphone amp and output to my Denon AVR-1613 receiver. 

I know the FiiO E9 has good power, I just can't seem to find anyone that can compare these two amps together...I am looking for more than a side-grade but I realise at this budget that may not be realistic. I paid more for the Auzen card alone in 2009...and around the same for the FiiO in 2011 I think??? I don't recall anymore. 

I listen primarily to my HE-400's, I'm planning on getting pads and playing with my D2000's again after I finish fixing them. Is this unit worth my time? I got one yes a couple pages back but was hoping for a few more responses...I've been researching but some like this amp with the 400's some dont...some say different tube some say different amp.

I like my bass...I'm not afraid to EQ... but any suggestions on a good bassy tube? Should I just try the stock tube and EQ?

you going to like T1/400's ,as for tubes I like a lot of bass but it have to be tight (thump-er,pronounce,heart pounding ) and out of all my tubes I think Siemens and Mullard (like the one below) suits this headphones best ,natural sounding tubes with emphasis on high works very well also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350966835949?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
if you want max /heavy bass and large soundstage -Amperex white labeled or Orange Globe will hit the spot 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360714996891?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

EDIT; I would try the one arcorob is recommending ,both the Mullard I linked and the one he posted have very similar build characteristics 

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #4,460 of 8,309
  Still think you guys need to try one of these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-TUBES-AVAILABLE-PRICE-EA-GE-SMOKED-GLASS-6DJ8-ECC88-TUBES-SOME-OF-MY-FAVS-/261302102704?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cd6d1aab0

This type is available from different sellers...and I ordered a spare...LOL

What do you like about them?  I'm partial to GE tubes in my guitar amp, so it wouldn't be hard to talk me into it haha.

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #4,461 of 8,309
Just got my Aune T1 - and this question probably answered in the prev 300 pages, but do i set Windows volume to 100% and then adjust volume using the knob? 

Quote:

You will do great and YES, you can afford a BASS tube...they are pretty inexpensive as tubes go...and it is killer through a system with speakers..or RCA out to a different head amp...

I also have my HE-400 hooked into this amp, any recommendations for a "bass" tube? That amperex one? I thought it was pretty pricey...about $80 on Ebay..unless thats considered cheap? lol

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #4,462 of 8,309
that Amperex is indeed pricey but this is "D" getter ,white label vintage you would pay a LOT more for one of this gold pinned ,you don't have to buy it it's just an example,there is a lot of Amperex you can try for $20     

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #4,463 of 8,309

Just got my Aune T1 - and this question probably answered in the prev 300 pages, but do i set Windows volume to 100% and then adjust volume using the knob? 

You may, basically you have at least two volume control knobs and you want to balance the volume to give you the best sound.  So you may want 50% or 70% or even 30%, depending on what sounds best, there is no specific answer for every setup.

You also have the gain settings on the bottom of the T1 to play with.

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #4,464 of 8,309

What do you like about them?  I'm partial to GE tubes in my guitar amp, so it wouldn't be hard to talk me into it haha.

It is just amazing..It looks like a burnt out tube...lol...that's the way they were made...but at every sonic level..gorgeous...wide stage, in your face mids....It surprised the crap out of me as a favorite...It is in a three way tie with two other tubes...maybe two way tie for first place out of 11 tubes tried...

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #4,465 of 8,309

I also have my HE-400 hooked into this amp, any recommendations for a "bass" tube? That amperex one? I thought it was pretty pricey...about $80 on Ebay..unless thats considered cheap? lol

PM me..I'll send you one if you are in the states...

Jan 29, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #4,466 of 8,309
Amperex tubes are notorious for fakes is the main problem with them, you can read some general info on how to spot a genuine tube:

Be careful when you chase these guys. The reputation of Siemens & Amperexes precedes them and they are frequent targets for counterfeiters. How do you know if a tube in question is the genuine article? Well, fortunately there are a few basic checks you can perform to differentiate true Siemens & Amperexes from relabeled Sylvanias and Tungsrams.
First, check the top of the tube in question. Siemens & Amperexes always have small ridges in the surface of the glass on top of the tube radiating outward from the nipple. These tubes will have 4 ridges, though sometimes only two of them are easily visible. The concept here is to look down on the top of the tube. The 2 or 4 ridges should divide the circular silver top of the tube in half or into quarters. No ridges? No genuine article pass on it.
Second, check the metal shield above the upper mica spacer. On Siemens & Amperexes it’s circular with two raised rectangular sections on opposite edges of the shield. On most fakes that shield is a perfectly flat disc.
Third, about 90% of Siemens tubes have a 1 or 2 digit number molded into the inside bottom of the tube glass centered between the pins. It can sometimes be very hard to see but it’s usually there. Remember, not all Siemens have it, but if your tube passes test one & two and has the number(s), it's a Siemens.
Fourth, familiarize yourself with the shape of the glass bottle on your stock Sovteks. Note that the top is smooth (no ridges) and rather rounded and the tube is short & large in diameter these traits are common to all Russian tubes in this family. Siemens & Amperexes are only about 80 to 85% of the diameter of the Russian versions and tend to have squarer shoulders on top rather than the rounded top of the Sovtek. You should be able to spot the difference between a Russian and a genuine NOS tube just by the shape & diameter of the glass pretty easily. One warning though Sovteks often (always?) have a number molded into the bottom of the tube between the pins like a Siemens, so know all the checks and don’t depend on just one to verify the tubes origins.
Fifth, if it’s a Siemens or Amperex 6922 or 7308 it will always have gold pins. So will some cheap counterfeits, so gold is no guarantee. But if they aren’t gold its not a Siemens or Amperex, so pass on it.

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #4,467 of 8,309
I can't justify another $80-90 for a tube on top of buying this amp...I could if I had the cash to play with but I don't. I want a bassy tube if I get this (well...at this point I just gotta get home and get the funds lined up to place the order). But if I gotta spend almost $100 for a tube with more bass, I may just shelf this whole idea. Though the other link provided was closer to $30, which I still might have trouble coming up with is a lot easier pill to swallow in my current situation. :)

Any other suggestions for bassy tubes? Thanks for the suggestions and help thus far! 

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #4,468 of 8,309
I see no reason you need to buy one of the most famous/expensive tubes out there in order to produce a bassy signature.  I have a JAN Philips E88CC (Military Spec) tube right now that is very bassy as a backup tube, but I would be willing to part with it if you needed it.  I'm talking $30 Shipped, so this is well below the ridiculous pricing of the Amperex tubes (and I own one of those, lol).

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #4,469 of 8,309
I'm interested in a $30 bassy tube. I went to purchase a T1 a few moments ago and there's only 220v left. I can get a 110v off of Amazon for $160...I assume after replacing the psu and whatever other components I'll be into it that much total. Hmm...

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #4,470 of 8,309
Tube review, short and sweet

4 Tubes that will never steer you wrong (at least in an AUNE T1) and not break the bank.

I have been spending time breaking in a bunch of NOS tubes. In the case of these 4, only one needed break-in to sound awesome. That one went from ugly duckling to swan.

Will I give a separate review of each ? Nope. Because they are all so close with two that stand above by a horse hair. In no particular order because they all deserve 5 stars.

1. GE Branded 6GM8 marked Made In Holland - about $20
  2. GE Branded 6AQ8 made by Siemens in Germany (halo type, not A-Frame) - about $20
  3. IEC Branded Mullard 6GM8 made in Germany - A -Frame type (not Halo) - Can be Mullard branded but A Frame - about $30
  4. GE made in USA 6DJ8 made in USA - Smokey tube (looks like you can't see through) Halo Getter- About $20

So who would be top two if its all you could own ? The GE 6AQ8 and the Mullard. The next two are tied and so closely behind the first two as to be nearly indistinguishable. The Smokey GE could also be a #1 depending on you system as it has all the attributes of the top two. They get an extra 1/8th star (that close) for every so slightly better tighter base.

Hope this helps...I know people rave about ampere, but I have 3 now and not as impressed. Maybe they are better with headphones but with speakers (towers) they sound a bit dull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back