Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #4,216 of 8,309
Space,

Glad you like it! Now find an RCA blackplate 6AQ8 and step up one more notch.

I already found it ...with a little low measurements so I will pass on this one.....for now this two will have to make me happy (similar build characteristics -gray/copper/holes)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390733467391?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291002103186?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

on another note ,I just received this and still waiting for the "Pimp my Aune guide"

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #4,217 of 8,309
Glad you can find em..all I see are the greyplates...sigh.

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #4,218 of 8,309
Jan 14, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #4,219 of 8,309
Well, I guess someone read the post and took it out from under me...NOT cool..

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #4,220 of 8,309
frown.gif

EDIT; I don't think 70/80 reading is all that good 

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #4,221 of 8,309
No..its not...you are right...just hard to find...that's okay...I have more tube than I know what to do with now...HEY !!! A sale !

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #4,223 of 8,309
Don't plug a 12au7 in directly to your T1. Search this thread. You need an adapter, the pinouts are not the same.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #4,224 of 8,309
BTW, this tube looks in every single way identical to my RCA blackplate 6AQ8...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sylvania-ECC85-6AQ8-Black-Plates-Stereo-Tube-5900-4150-36529-/181293722314?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a35f2aaca

*EDIT*

Well that was quick.....its already gone.

Makes me feel like there are quite a few lurkers on this thread!

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #4,225 of 8,309
Is the Aune T1 supposed to be able to take 12AU7 tubes? I just put an RCA 12AU7 in, and it works?

I tried without a tube at all, thinking maybe just the amp was being used, but sound barely played above a whisper.

Would be awesome if I could use my 12AU7's too.

You can with a simple adapter. If you plug it in without it it will not get the proper heater voltage. But it won't damage anything.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #4,226 of 8,309
Special thanks to LWRS10 for finding me a black plate last night...this one I GOT

Now I have to figure out how to sell the half dozen tubes I DONT WANT ..I can only use/need about 3...I am up to 8

The Sylvania Black Plate

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #4,227 of 8,309
  Special thanks to LWRS10 for finding me a black plate last night...this one I GOT

Now I have to figure out how to sell the half dozen tubes I DONT WANT ..I can only use/need about 3...I am up to 8

The Sylvania Black Plate

I'm in the market for some nice DV336SE tubes ,congrats on the Sylvania 

BTW. the bamboo background looked familiar (I bought my Amperex from this seller..long story short
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/400628720480 
L3000.gif
 )

here is another black
http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-1970-Sylvania-Zenith-6AQ8-ECC85-black-plates-tube-New-Old-Stock-New-In-Box-/360482855666?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item53ee73daf2

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #4,229 of 8,309
Another tube review !

Sovtek 6H30Pi EB Cryo Single Super Tube - Brand new production - 4 stars (for now)

Being a NOS tube person, I was skeptical that a new production tube could compete in this class yet; I was willing to try it for comparison sake. I had appreciated the sound of the stock 6922EH tube and felt at the worst, they would sound alike even though they are a different tube. In fact, many sites selling this tube tell you not to use it in place of the 6922 as the audio device you use may not be suited for it. Fortunately, I already had prior advice that it was a good match for the AUNE.

When deciding to purchase, I was torn between the 6H30Pi from Sovtek and one from Electro Harmonix. As it turns out, both are identical and made in the very same factory. For some reason, the EH was listed as being a bit "warmer" which sounds silly considering they are supposedly the same. I chose the Sovtek because I was seeking detail as my system is warm enough.

I fired the tube up in my Aune and was immediately impressed by the detail I was seeking. Unlike the EH 6922 tube, the Sovtek presented it's highs beautifully without a hint of "edge" or "fatiguing upper range". The mid's and vocals were nicely forward and separation, soundstage and depth were excellent. Listening to the drums and the bass, I could hear the snares, high hats and kick drum very well. If I had to say anything negative, I could not call the low bass as crisp but I also could not say I did not like it. It was not dull and boomy but more like it had a strong presence. To me this is rare and if your system needed a kick in the bass (without being mired in mud) this might be the tube for you.

I also want to mention it is a beautiful looking tube. Its a taller than the 6922 and looking at the plates, pins and getter, there was nothing crude about it. It looked like a precision made unit. Also, I gave it 4 stars (for me) because the extra bottom while not muddy, was more than I needed and in comparison to ones over 4 stars, I had to give them an edge, but it may change as the tube breaks in.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #4,230 of 8,309
  Another tube review !

Sovtek 6H30Pi EB Cryo Single Super Tube - Brand new production - 4 stars (for now)

Being a NOS tube person, I was skeptical that a new production tube could compete in this class yet; I was willing to try it for comparison sake. I had appreciated the sound of the stock 6922EH tube and felt at the worst, they would sound alike even though they are a different tube. In fact, many sites selling this tube tell you not to use it in place of the 6922 as the audio device you use may not be suited for it. Fortunately, I already had prior advice that it was a good match for the AUNE.

When deciding to purchase, I was torn between the 6H30Pi from Sovtek and one from Electro Harmonix. As it turns out, both are identical and made in the very same factory. For some reason, the EH was listed as being a bit "warmer" which sounds silly considering they are supposedly the same. I chose the Sovtek because I was seeking detail as my system is warm enough.

I fired the tube up in my Aune and was immediately impressed by the detail I was seeking. Unlike the EH 6922 tube, the Sovtek presented it's highs beautifully without a hint of "edge" or "fatiguing upper range". The mid's and vocals were nicely forward and separation, soundstage and depth were excellent. Listening to the drums and the bass, I could hear the snares, high hats and kick drum very well. If I had to say anything negative, I could not call the low bass as crisp but I also could not say I did not like it. It was not dull and boomy but more like it had a strong presence. To me this is rare and if your system needed a kick in the bass (without being mired in mud) this might be the tube for you.

I also want to mention it is a beautiful looking tube. Its a taller than the 6922 and looking at the plates, pins and getter, there was nothing crude about it. It looked like a precision made unit. Also, I gave it 4 stars (for me) because the extra bottom while not muddy, was more than I needed and in comparison to ones over 4 stars, I had to give them an edge, but it may change as the tube breaks in.

Nice to see someone else finally had the balls to try a 6H30p tube. You summed up exactly my findings. Very nice tube, would pair very well with electronic style music or anything slightly bass heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back