Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Jan 3, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #3,826 of 8,309
Can you maybe describe more what`s exactly is better than Amperex 7308 about this Mullard ECC85 tube? Maybe it is better only for your taste/cans/music combination? 

It has more detail, a bigger soundstage, a more airy, and a slightly warmer sound. The treble is smoother while still being more detailed. the bass is cleaner and tighter, while not losing any presence. Guitars really sound bigger with this ECC85.

For me there was not a single tradeoff. I also hardly ever use my Aune with headphones, all of this was in my main system. I can dig my cans out when I get home if you would like.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #3,827 of 8,309

Quote:
  Ok. I by accident found a tube that sounds leaps and bounds better than any other tube I have tried in this thing. And I have tried quite a few. All the normal ones everyone is trying here.....

So if anyone else wants to give it a shot, buy a Mullard ECC85 off the 'bay. You will not be disappointed. 

Here are some pics of 2 different ECC85's I have tried so far. A mid 60's Siemens and this Mullard. Both sound great, with a slight edge to the Mullard.

They might work but different specs...someone who knows the electrical better than me should look at these - They have the same pinout but ~~ECC85 pulls more heater current, and is meant for higher anode voltages - . I am not saying its wrong and you have been running it for 3 days but would hate to see a puff of smoke, flames, etc....

ECC88

ECC85

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #3,828 of 8,309
I will pull my Aune apart and see how the circuit is loaded and designed. This will tell me if it can handle the extra heater current. The extra Mu doesn't seem to matter much, as it sounds fantastic. The higher plate(anode) voltage does not matter at all on the Aune side, only matters on the tube side and it seems to work fine on the lower voltage. I will check and see how the grid/cathode is loaded also. Seems the Aune might not be optimised for the 6922 anyways.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #3,829 of 8,309
  Muffled? in a bad way? 

Yes. I guess it doesn't sound muffled, it's just that one can clearly hear the audio quality difference between 320 and FLAC with this set up.

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #3,830 of 8,309

They might work but different specs...someone who knows the electrical better than me should look at these - They have the same pinout but ~~ECC85 pulls more heater current, and is meant for higher anode voltages - . I am not saying its wrong and you have been running it for 3 days but would hate to see a puff of smoke, flames, etc....

Generally, if the heater circuit can handle the extra draw, it is ok to sub an ECC85/6AQ8 for a 6DJ8.   I've got some that run well in my Aune and others that don't quite play well.   I also run them in my Lyr at times.

-Mike

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #3,831 of 8,309
I will pull my Aune apart and see how the circuit is loaded and designed. This will tell me if it can handle the extra heater current. The extra Mu doesn't seem to matter much, as it sounds fantastic. The higher plate(anode) voltage does not matter at all on the Aune side, only matters on the tube side and it seems to work fine on the lower voltage. I will check and see how the grid/cathode is loaded also. Seems the Aune might not be optimised for the 6922 anyways.

It is probably not an issue since the ECC85 was made for higher voltage...but you would know better than I would especially regarding the heater current...if anything it probably just under drives the tube but sounds great ..am I wrong ? Does the unit put out higher heater voltage than the ECC85 is used to ?

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #3,832 of 8,309

It is probably not an issue since the ECC85 was made for higher voltage...but you would know better than I would especially regarding the heater current...if anything it probably just under drives the tube but sounds great ..am I wrong ? Does the unit put out higher heater voltage than the ECC85 is used to ?

IIRC, the Russian 6HN1(6N1) everyone uses draws more than the ECC85. Don't quote me yet, I have to look that up. 

Under driving the tube would not be the correct term to use. Think of it as the plate voltage can be up to a certain voltage...it can be lower. Heater voltage would not change, just the current draw the Aune sees.

*EDIT*

The 6N1P draws 600ma on the heater circuit, more than the ECC85/6AQ8. So we are good there.

*EDIT EDIT*

Might want to explore the 6DT8 tube also. Let me see if I have any around....

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #3,833 of 8,309
Is it true that touching a broken tube can kill a person? Due to the volts or amps or something.

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #3,834 of 8,309
Is it true that touching a broken tube can kill a person? Due to the volts or amps or something.

What? Why would you ever use a broken tube first, and second, why the hell would you want to touch it?  Driver tubes will hurt.....bigger final output tubes will KILL you.

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #3,835 of 8,309
lwrs10..TROUBLE MAKER !!! Sure, now you have to go an introduce a whole new line so guys with OCD like me have to buy more !!! LOL

Just bought one on a hunch...about sound that is...

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #3,836 of 8,309
  can someone tell me little more  (year )about the tube on the left ,it has this metal bend inside "A6 9C" (SIEMENS E88CC 6922 RODE K2 MIC )
this one have single support thin halo getter in comparison to A-frame solid/flat disc next to it (both made by Valvola /both have pinched top) it's also little taller 

spacequeen7, you can see more from this page onwards at tubemongerlib for the variations of Siemens E88CC tubes: http://www.tubemongerlib.com/gallery2/v/6922/?g2_page=8

can't really see the presence of the logo from the one you show, seems likely to be from the 80s.. quoted from quartz acoustic product info: "As the appearances of Siemens E88CC tubes underwent some significant changes through the production dates, one identifiable trait is the presence of the old Siemens logo on the tube itself. 80s, and even some later 70s productions have no such logo."

here is a pic from the Siemens I had.. it is an A-frame variant..

not sure how different the tube you shown is different from mine.. but you can see more of my impressions at post #3667.. I really like this tube now especially I have added a modded Fostex T50rp to my inventory.. the absolute details and spaciousness drawn from the tube really complement the ortho very very well...

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #3,837 of 8,309
I'd like to ask if you guys don't mind, before I'm purchasing the Aune T1.

Without any regard to cost, would the Aune T1 be a better choice over the Audinst HUD-mx2?
The Audinst HUD-mx2 is similar to the ODAC+O2 combo:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684861/audinst-hud-mx2-vs-odac-o2-vs-graham-slee-bitzie-a-few-portable-dac-amps

Thanks

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #3,838 of 8,309

NOS means New Old Stock. And for 20-30$ I would certainly go for Amperex OG (OG means orange globe logo) 6DJ8 from eBay. Or some other tube that is recommended by DT-880 users.

Like so?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Tubes-6DJ8-ECC88-Amperex-Test-110-115-/350639692868?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item51a3c11c44
*fixed

That`s fake amperex!

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #3,839 of 8,309
  That`s fake amperex!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-Amperex-Holland-6DJ8-ECC88-Gray-Plate-Top-O-Tube-82-80-/121244596138?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c3abdb7aa
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-Amperex-Holland-6DJ8-ECC88-Grey-Plate-Top-O-Tube-77-84-/151199650219?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item23343391ab
?

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #3,840 of 8,309

IIRC, the Russian 6HN1(6N1) everyone uses draws more than the ECC85. Don't quote me yet, I have to look that up. 

Under driving the tube would not be the correct term to use. Think of it as the plate voltage can be up to a certain voltage...it can be lower. Heater voltage would not change, just the current draw the Aune sees.

*EDIT*

The 6N1P draws 600ma on the heater circuit, more than the ECC85/6AQ8. So we are good there.

*EDIT EDIT*

Might want to explore the 6DT8 tube also. Let me see if I have any around....

Wouldn`t say so. Only few ppl have them here with Aune T1 and someone had poor distorted sound with his NOS 6N1P tube.
6N23P / 6N27P are drawing around 310-330mA current and and all those different tube types I have are around that. Tube with highest current I have is ECC189 which is around 365mA. Also ECC88 seems to be 365mA actually. Would be interesting to get answer from superlux about how much mA Aune T1 can handle.

Just heads up, wouldn`t be sure about those noticeable higher currents because it might work ok but it puts higher drain on Aune T1 and might eventually kill some internal components. But so far I haven`t had any problems with my ECC189 and ECC85 is by numbers only ~70mA higher though, it might be just the "limit" for Aune.
Who knows, just be warned. I won`t add this tube type to my tube list yet because we need more information. 

Also about Mullard ECC85 sounding better than Amperex 7308 - it`s totally subjective and may not be the case with everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back