Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Nov 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #3,376 of 8,309
I think richard is talking about the synergy between T1 and he-400, so unless you own he-400, I don't see how this would be bad news for you. He is saying that hifimediy is less bright (and softer) than T1 so it tames the treble of he-400 and therefore has better synergy. If you are using T1 you should definitely try one of the better tubes available / try to work the synergy issues with tube rolling (if you have any). I prefer to roll tubes rather than DACs.

And who is saying that MM stack would be better than T1? You shouldn't feel bad reading one or two negative comments when this thread is full of positive reviews and happy customers. You should also make your own impression actually using and experimenting with the product. For people who has followed this thread for a long time know that:

a) T1 has enough juice to drive even some of the more power hungry headphones (see the gain settings for optimal performance)
b) if T1 amp power is somehow insufficient you can always get better amp and use T1 as a dac only
c) T1 is on the bright side, so if you own med/treble heavy cans such as HD 800, AKG K/Q series, Grados, audio technicas etc. you should try mellow sounding tube
d) T1 performance excels many rivals in it's price range and can even compete with products costing twice or more as much
e) T1 is NOT tube amp, so those of you looking to get that thick tubey sound might get disappointed

Good comment, Salvatore. It's interesting how easy it is to become defensive when someone says our choice is not for them (or their headphones). I'm pleased enough with the T1 that my next step will be on the headphone side from the HD558 to HD600, but I'm planning to stick with the T1.

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #3,377 of 8,309
Good comment, Salvatore. It's interesting how easy it is to become defensive when someone says our choice is not for them (or their headphones). I'm pleased enough with the T1 that my next step will be on the headphone side from the HD558 to HD600, but I'm planning to stick with the T1.

I never be so happy with T1 and HD600. Except the bright sound from EH 6922 tube. Waiting for my OG Amperex feels like ages.

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #3,378 of 8,309

I think richard is talking about the synergy between T1 and he-400, so unless you own he-400, I don't see how this would be bad news for you. He is saying that hifimediy is less bright (and softer) than T1 so it tames the treble of he-400 and therefore has better synergy. If you are using T1 you should definitely try one of the better tubes available / try to work the synergy issues with tube rolling (if you have any). I prefer to roll tubes rather than DACs.

And who is saying that MM stack would be better than T1? You shouldn't feel bad reading one or two negative comments when this thread is full of positive reviews and happy customers. You should also make your own impression actually using and experimenting with the product. For people who has followed this thread for a long time know that:

a) T1 has enough juice to drive even some of the more power hungry headphones (see the gain settings for optimal performance)
b) if T1 amp power is somehow insufficient you can always get better amp and use T1 as a dac only
c) T1 is on the bright side, so if you own med/treble heavy cans such as HD 800, AKG K/Q series, Grados, audio technicas etc. you should try mellow sounding tube
d) T1 performance excels many rivals in it's price range and can even compete with products costing twice or more as much
e) T1 is NOT tube amp, so those of you looking to get that thick tubey sound might get disappointed

I am entirely okay with these remarks.... aune t1 is an excellent dac and amp combo for the price.... Very difficult to have these qualities and versatility for this price......My remarks concern only the synergy with the he400 and the comparison with the hifimediy dac..... The price of this dac is almost three time less and i have listened only  the synchronus version which is very good....... I will update you when i have listened the asynchronus version of this dac ... I will not sell the Aune T1 for two reasons : its an excellent combo amp/ dac and the pairing with Ath m50 and the marvellous fostex th-7b (80 dollars) is excellent......Mr Salvatore resumed perfectly the many advantages of the Aune T1...... But there is also this dac Hifimediy and for the price this is very interesting..... I now have this two dacs  the Aune and the Hifimedyi and they are very good .....i will not seek for other dac... I think that the cost for having better one will be best invest in another amp .......My reason for posting these remarks here are not for complaining about the aune but for exploring others possibility for the synergy with the He 400 my headphones of choice.....and for the price of one or two tube rolling investing the money for a very good dac with better chemistry with the he 400...... The Hifimediy is portable dac..... This is  an advantage..... The Aune t1 has more versatility and i repeat it is one of the best dac for the money.......

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #3,379 of 8,309
Still, have to make note - seems that you are excluding tube rolling to find good synergy with HE-400 + the fact that Aune T1 has bright sounding amp. Your synergy-finding seems to be mainly getting rid of treble harshness. Or is there something else wrong with sound? You haven`t given us any detailed comments about sound with Amperex OG + HE-400 compared to hifimediy DAC. 

Hey fellas the HE-400 sounds excellent with the Aune T1--you just need to find a tube that synergizes with it for maximum enjoyment.

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #3,380 of 8,309
the sound of the amperex orange globe is better for me than the sound of the famous bugle boy... more interesting sound spatialization...... and these two are better than the original tube of the Aune..... Each tube has is sounding personality but i cannot afford to buy other tubes  for experimenting.. I want to listen to music
not tubes.... and the amperex orange is in the opinion of almost all here one of the very good sounding tube and i am ok with this tube.... The hifimediy dac cost the price of one or two tube rolling  and i decide to try that for diminushing the tizz of the He 400.... At 40 dollars for the portable synchronus dac this is a success.... I own two different excellent dac now    hifimedyi plus the aune t1.... and i decide to try the asynchronus version for the price of 60 dollars....... I will communicate the  result of my experiences here ....... For now the pairing of the amp section  of the Aune with the hifimediy dac are very good...... But i decide to compare with another amp because the he 400 are difficult to drive for a sound without to much harshness .... i will receive the bravo ocean monday ..... My goal is not tube rolling without end its to look for two excellent systems i will use ....... amp/ dac Aune T1  ( very good combo)   hifimediy asynchronus dac , and the bravo ocean...... I will try all combinatoric possibilities of association and synergy with my 3 pairs of headphone....The hifiman he 400 for the price is the beginning of audiophile listening.......The ath m50  are very good i like the bass and the global sound and for a price  less than the he 400 very good choice and marvellous synergy  with the aune...... The fostex th-7b ( i pay in a canadian store 50 dollars) are  also marvellous and have more tridimensionality than the ath m50... I am satisfied with all my choices....

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #3,381 of 8,309

Yeah people are often asking for the best product when they should be asking for the best synergy. Been to several hifi meetings with my headphones and tested different amplifiers. Some of them have been better than T1, but you definitely start hitting those diminished returns with more expensive products. Trust me folks, T1 is very nice product for the money (another good price over performance dac/amp is Fiio E17. No tube rolling but you get EQ instead). At least I'm happily driving my K702 anniversaries with T1.

People who has problems with piercing mids / treble could either look for Ultron tubes or do what richard did and try some other dac. Just to warn you though you usually gain and lose something. In my experience smoother treble / mids could also mean soft less detailed sound.

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #3,383 of 8,309
Mind recommending a tube? I''m purchasing these headphones this Christmas.

I was afraid I'd get asked this question! I haven't listened to the T1 HE400 combo in a long time so I cant give fresh impressions but... I find the HE400 needs some help with sucked out mids so if I recall correctly I used the Rocket Logo 6n23p. I didn't have a Genalex Gold Lion at the same time I had the HE400 but I suspect that it would sound really nice too.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #3,387 of 8,309
Waiting impressions about Vali + T1 DAC combo ;P Hope this will be awesome!

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #3,388 of 8,309
I've finally heated some 6n23p and 6n27p.

Nothing to add for the 6n23p. Incredible highs, crystal clear and very smooth and detailed, but nothing else. A good but "unfinished" tube.

6n27p is another story. This tube has a good soundstage, average details, a good tonal balance, and is a bit on the lower end. Great beginning.
But what is that dynamic !? What are those bass !? It is very tight, detailed, punchy with great dynamic, effortless. The mids are respected, and are good to my taste.
I don't have much to say, it's a GREAT tube, cheap, easy to listen to and very enjoyable. The best tube i've heard so far, and definitely a must have.

Next step, Amperex orange globe :wink:

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #3,389 of 8,309
I'm noticing something interesting.

Since last week, I've been using my Head-direct EF1 as an output stage for the Aune, and I personally find it amazing. Great synergy, even without matched tubes.

Just for fun, I swapped its 12AU7 for the 6922 in the Aune. 

I've noticed that the 6922 glows MUCH brighter in the EF1. Conversely, I've noted that the 12AU7 is a lot dimmer in the Aune.

Is this because the Aune has a lower voltage running through the tube?

EDIT: Also, Coil, I've done your mod with the gels, for red LED glow in the AUNE. Will post photos later - thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back