Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Dec 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #91 of 8,309
Quote:
By the way I just popped in this tube into the Aune T1:

http://thetubestore.com/goldlione88cc.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/thetubestore_2236_171418052  (not sure how to insert an image, button won't work)

[size=medium]The Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/6922 is a premium grade selected small signal twin-triode that is a suitable replacement for all 6DJ8, ECC88, 6922, E88CC, and 7308 types. This tube features gold plated pins and is manufactured to extremely tight specifications, making it the highest quality current production E88CC/6922 available.[/size]

Holy Moley! You wanna talk about pop! This tube has put the Aune T1 over the lmit man, the highs are tight and the bass pops! Try this tube today!

Very cool! I just grabbed one of these:

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Matsu****a-%7B47%7D-National-PCC88-%7B47%7D-7DJ8.html

People seem to be making a big deal about them, I will check in here when they arrive and post my impressions.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #92 of 8,309
Quote:
As you can see, you are using LINUX, this is an OS X only issue, as far as I can tell. UNless you are incorrectly listing your OS. IF you can try this in OS X I am sure you will have the same issue.

Yeah, I know. It just seemed like you guys had problems in both Windows and OS X. Just wanted to tell that it wasn't hardware-related.

Quote:
So, I switched USB ports and BAM it works fine. 

Do you know what the difference is between the ports?

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #93 of 8,309
Nada I think it worked because when u switch USB ports its resets the LINE IN setting back to 16bit and I think I figured out u can't have line in and dac out both at 24 at once. Guessing though

Also I'm thinking of trying the little dot mk iii since i have an Odac already so any thoughts are welcome.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #94 of 8,309
Yeah, I know. It just seemed like you guys had problems in both Windows and OS X. Just wanted to tell that it wasn't hardware-related.

Do you know what the difference is between the ports?

I do not know of any difference. It's sort of a strange mystery between macs and some usb dacs I guess.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #97 of 8,309
Cant see why not, the two gain settings are more than enough. I use a low impedance phones right now but even so, i use the lowest gain setting and the volume never goes more than halfway!

I alos just got myself a nice pair of he-500s so well see!

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #99 of 8,309
Quote:
Let us know how you get on...
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, I've done a few things since last post:

First, I put in a Vintage 1975 Mullard E88CC tube into the Aune T1. Wowsa, talk about detail & warmth! This makes me feel like I'm wrapped in a warm blanket of music but not so much that I can't pick out every riff and lick. So there's that. Fantastic tube if you like a bit of contour to your music.

Second, I ordered an ODAC which was supposed to be here already but the USPS has probably lost it, so I can't speak to yet.

Third, I picked up a pair of HE-500 phones. Holy cow, are these things big and heavy! I had to add extra foam on the headband just to hold them up because, I guess, my head is very small. Oh well. As for the quality , they didn't blow me away at first, but now that I have some burn in hours, I can see what the hype is all about. I had to up the gain on the Aune T1 to the highest setting in order to power the HE-500s adequately, but it's worth it. Tight, tight bass is the word, and a virtually limitless soundstage. Are they an upgrade over the Aiaiai TMA1 phones I was using? Yes, but less of a direct upgrade and more of a sideway shift. Yes, the HE-500s are better sounding but they are more different than they are better. If you are thinking about the HE-500s id STRONGLY suggest trying them first at a show or store. Not only for sound but for physical fit, my neck hurts after long use due to the weight.

Fourth, I did research for a while and based on price/compatibility/future proofing (im getting HD650s for xmas), I decided to order a project Sunrise II headphone amp to go with the ODAC. To go with the PSII, I picked up a Vintage 60's Amperex 12AU7 Bugle Boy,small halo,gray plate,dimpled top, tube. It sounds like the one I'll most like.

So, as you all can probably personally attest to, I have gotten bit by the audiophile bug just like it happened with most here, I'm sure. :) As I get more upgrades in I will update you guys. Thanks for all the help.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #100 of 8,309
I recently got the Aune X1 mk2 DAC and am using it to send the analog line out to another vacuum tube amp; the Musical Paradise MP-301 mk3 with shuguang 6L6GC tubes. Problem is this is at the office and the MP-301 takes up too much space and i cannot use it to drive speakers, just my headphones (ATH-M50s). So now i'm thinking of bringing home the MP-301, to drive speakers mainly, and to get a more compact tube amp... this Aune T1 !
The headphone output on the Aune X1 works fine... But i just like the tube sound...

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #102 of 8,309
I wanted to let everyone know that I changed the thread title to reflect the fact that the Aune T1 has a Tube DAC with an amp. Not a tube amp :) 

P.S. I'm running a pair of Hifiman He-5LE from it, and it actually sounds pretty good! I will likely use the T1 as a DAC in the future with a more powerful amp attached an see how it compares to the internal amp. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #103 of 8,309
I wanted to let everyone know that I changed the thread title to reflect the fact that the Aune T1 has a Tube DAC with an amp. Not a tube amp :) 

P.S. I'm running a pair of Hifiman He-5LE from it, and it actually sounds pretty good! I will likely use the T1 as a DAC in the future with a more powerful amp attached an see how it compares to the internal amp. 

So just to be clear if I'm running an ODAC into the aune t1 I'm not using the tube? I thought I was

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #104 of 8,309
Quote:
BTW, both products are on sale right now at this Canadian store, in Ontario; Springwateraudio.com
https://www.springwateraudio.com/store/

I just ordered from them a few weeks ago. Good service and great price! So far i'm really liking the AUNE t1. I went with the 6922 tube based on peoples recommendations. The only headphones I've used are my dt990 250ohm and everything sounds great :) This is my first 'setup' so I don't really have a lot to compare it to other than plugging my headphones into my crappy onboard audio. 

Already tempted to try the [size=x-small]6N23P tube they are talking about on rockgrotto [/size]
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #105 of 8,309
I just received my Aune T1 today which came with a 6N11 tube yet i chose to use an Electro Harmonix 6922 tube which I have, I will use this for break in till i feel comfortable rolling. My AKG K240 Studio headphones are not a good match yet they sound OK. I buddy loaned me some Audio Technica headphones and they sound really good.

I am using my Mac mini 2010 SSD 8GB Ram, my Audiophile USB cable and i also have the Aune t1 using silver resolution interconnects going into a pair of AudioEngine A2 speakers.

How long does it take for the T1 to break in? Which tube seems to work well and also, which headphones mate well with the T1?

Thanks in Advance.

Liz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back