AUNE S6 DAC/AMP Combo
Dec 12, 2016 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

Aornic

Member of the Trade: Acorn Audio

Been messing around with this for a day now and I'm quite pleased with what I hear. This is Aune's new DAC/Amp combo, called the S6. It uses an AKM AK4495 DAC chip and had both balanced XLR and SE 1/4 outputs, a feature that I find quite useful due to relying so heavily on the former. The unit itself is quite handsome, and reminds me of audio gear from the 1990s - with a modern twist and, obviously, the latest technology.

The sound is not aggressive at all. I found it to be a more nuanced and refined version of the neutral sound that I'm used to from a headphone amplifier. The DAC had characteristics that I would describe as natural and not overly pointed or pushy with its reproduction of audio. The amp itself, although I've read that the unit is meant to pair with their S7 headphone amplifier primarily, provides a good amount of power to my current full-sized headphones.

With the picky Sennheiser HD800, I achieved my optimal listening volume at 60 on the dial. It was with this pairing that I heard the honest nature of the S6, as it did not add any noticeable colour to the sound - a feature I strongly desire to tame the treble-spiking tendencies of these headphones. Not my favourite pairing, but that has more to do with the headphones than the S6.

Now this is more like it. In my review, I strongly praised the Focal Elear's ability to sound good from practically any source - and the Aune S6 is no exception to this rule, to say the least. Detail and dynamics galore, the S6 plays to the headphones' strengths quite well and provides clean amping for it to shine with whatever you choose to listen.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this and will look into it more when I cover it in my full review. I have not heard any of Aune's products before, but this is a good first impression.

------------------------------

Thanks for reading. You can follow me at:

My website: http://aornic.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aornicreviews
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/aornic
Twitter: https://twitter.com/aornic1024
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jesuschristonxtc

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 86
Would be interested in seeing how this compares against a Schiit Jotunheim with DAC. As the pretty compete in the same market, with the Aune S6 being $69 more epxensive.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 86
Same here, interested in the comparison with Jotunheim vs this Aune S6

@Aornic I just received my elear and I am currently looking for a aftermarket xlr cable as yours orange displayed here, I would be interested to know where you got them? 

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 86
  Would be interested in seeing how this compares against a Schiit Jotunheim with DAC. As the pretty compete in the same market, with the Aune S6 being $69 more epxensive.

The Jotenheim, like other Schiit products, doesn't decode DSD. An advantage to the Aune S6 for those of us who have these format files.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 86
  This is an awesome combo!

The S6 is a nifty musical piece. Almost mid forward in comparison to many amps with the ES DAC chipsets.

This thing makes vocals pop. Plenty of power, my gawd, I can only imagine how powerful this will be when stacked with the S7!

I am encouraged you note it has plenty of power as the ratings listed here raise concern it maybe borderline for high impedance cans and planars such as the ZMF Ori you have pictured above, which many have found scales best with more abundant power. Can you elaborate any further on the pairing? Thanks, Hisoundfi!

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 86
I am encouraged you note it has plenty of power as the ratings listed here raise concern it maybe borderline for high impedance cans and planars such as the ZMF Ori you have pictured above, which many have found scales best with more abundant power. Can you elaborate any further on the pairing? Thanks, Hisoundfi!
I am not an expert on high end desktop amplifiers, but the power specs on the OP of that thread are decent, and more than enough power to five the Ori well. I am able to push the Ori well with some of my portable amplifiers. I was jamming that pictured setup all night, and don't think I turned it past 70 (out of 100) with any track I listened to. The sound was clean and controlled. With the Ori, if it's not getting enough juice it will sound sloppy, that wasn't the case at all with the S6.

Here's the best thing... I thought the IDSD worked as a great desktop replacement rig for the price. This new S6 is more dynamic and rich in the midrange and is under $600 USD. Aune is offering a lot of stuff for that low of a price.

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 86
I am not an expert on high end desktop amplifiers, but the power specs on the OP of that thread are decent, and more than enough power to five the Ori well. I am able to push the Ori well with some of my portable amplifiers. I was jamming that pictured setup all night, and don't think I turned it past 70 (out of 100) with any track I listened to. The sound was clean and controlled. With the Ori, if it's not getting enough juice it will sound sloppy, that wasn't the case at all with the S6.

Here's the best thing... I thought the IDSD worked as a great desktop replacement rig for the price. This new S6 is more dynamic and rich in the midrange and is under $600 USD. Aune is offering a lot of stuff for that low of a price.

Great to know, as I too have been using the Ori with iDSD, certainly drives it well but at times a bit sterile / clinical sounding, perhaps due to the Sabre DAC. A bit more warmth and mid-forward signature would be welcomed as long as it wasn't at the expense of giving up too much detail retrieval.

Also, have you tried DSD files with the S6, as native DSD decoding is a strength of the iDSD and I believe S6 does DoP. I think there is some debate as to whether DoP is equivalent sound quality to native decoding, but as they say....trust your ears and I'm glad you are enjoying this combo. I've been considering upgrading my iDSD to the Pro when released but it's likely to be $2000, and certainly S6 seems like a better value proposition...I've been wanting to try the Ori balanced and that savings could go toward a nice balanced upgrade cable for my Ori and perhaps a tube amp which the ZMF forums say synergize great with the ZMF's.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #14 of 86
This looks interesting! I'm wanting to get a all in one dac/amp to replace my separate components. Trying to decide between this and the Gustard a20h.

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #15 of 86
  The Jotenheim, like other Schiit products, doesn't decode DSD. An advantage to the Aune S6 for those of us who have these format files.

Indeed. 
  Same here, interested in the comparison with Jotunheim vs this Aune S6

@Aornic I just received my elear and I am currently looking for a aftermarket xlr cable as yours orange displayed here, I would be interested to know where you got them? 

Also, jotunheim's DAC is um, a afterthought rather than a main feature. This amp's DAC is the main feature.

I mean like if it ain't broke don't fix it is their ethos with the AK4495 rather using the AK4490 which they didn't have. AK4497 is expensive by the way ...
Ah and it supports DSD. Jotunheim like all other schiit products doesn't support DSD.

The S6 is a baby S16 without the FIFO feature (afaik) but with a mega power headphone amp section. And cheaper. It's a total win. (Also, it won't be a noisy meh that the X7s is)

This is an awesome combo!

The S6 is a nifty musical piece. Almost mid forward in comparison to many amps with the ES DAC chipsets.

This thing makes vocals pop. Plenty of power, my gawd, I can only imagine how powerful this will be when stacked with the S7!

As a user of multiple AKM-based DACs, they are indeed mid forward but I cannot think about anything but how sweet vocals sound with the AKM DACs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back