Aune S17 pro
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #2,071 of 2,360
Is anyone using the S17 Pro with IEM's?
I'm very much considering this amplifier, but as I've got a few decent IEM's lately, I wonder if the noise floor/ gain settings on the amp is good for IEM use?

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #2,073 of 2,360
OK, I’ve changed to low gain and 100 MA, and I have to admit this does sound better and less in your face. I may switch depending on genres!

edit: temps peak at 55c, completely fine by me

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #2,074 of 2,360
right now I have SMSL HO200, considering S17 Pro but would like to know if there is anything else in same price point but used/second-hand that can outperform Aune in terms of sound ?
If you're in the US or a country that Drop ships to, I would recommend you be on the look out when they do a batch of violectric HPA V222, it's like $900 usd when it comes on sale on drop but that's definitively a step up from the aune S17 and it's going to be brand new. Something used?, I'll be on the look out also for a Schiit MJ3.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #2,075 of 2,360
Is anyone using the S17 Pro with IEM's?
I'm very much considering this amplifier, but as I've got a few decent IEM's lately, I wonder if the noise floor/ gain settings on the amp is good for IEM use?
I'm not a big IEM guy but I have a set of moondrop's starfields and it works fine with zero hiss or background noise on both 50ma and 100ma modes. Didn't test on high gain tho.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #2,076 of 2,360
If you're in the US or a country that Drop ships to, I would recommend you be on the look out when they do a batch of violectric HPA V222, it's like $900 usd when it comes on sale on drop but that's definitively a step up from the aune S17 and it's going to be brand new. Something used?, I'll be on the look out also for a Schiit MJ3.

I am in EU

thanks, Shiit looks very good in terms of ports but it is an expensive unit and Vioelectric is for sure nice but 330 Eur more than S17 Pro

I am looking as well on some other brands like Atoll or Soncoz SGA1 as I read good opinions about it

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #2,077 of 2,360
Did you directly compare the V222 with the S17? Could you describe why it would be a step up? What's the difference in terms of sound?

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #2,078 of 2,360
Did you directly compare the V222 with the S17? Could you describe why it would be a step up? What's the difference in terms of sound?
I haven't heard the V222, but I'm not sure that everyone would agree that it is a definite step up from the V222. Ichos reviewed and liked both a lot and thought they were very close. Though I admit that I'd probably go for the V222 at $900. But at its full MSRP, which is almost double the S17, it might be a different story.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #2,079 of 2,360
I haven't heard the V222, but I'm not sure that everyone would agree that it is a definite step up from the V222. Ichos reviewed and liked both a lot and thought they were very close. Though I admit that I'd probably go for the V222 at $900. But at its full MSRP, which is almost double the S17, it might be a different story.
I read this evening the Raal 1995 thread, in which someone said that the just to market coming totl headphone Raal Immanis sounded unexpectidly good with Aune set in some of these big audio happenings. A 700$ amp with 9000$ headphones.
I have Aune S17pro and Violectric v340 and I wouldn't put one above the other sonically. Violectric has 5 year warranty so it's quality should be good. But the sound: both are good, in a bit different way.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #2,080 of 2,360
I am in EU

thanks, Shiit looks very good in terms of ports but it is an expensive unit and Vioelectric is for sure nice but 330 Eur more than S17 Pro

I am looking as well on some other brands like Atoll or Soncoz SGA1 as I read good opinions about it
Singxer SA1 might be a good alternative, there's some people that have had both amps and some prefer the SA1 over the S17 and it's less expensive, so this is a good alternative, but in reality it's going to come down more to your personal preferences.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #2,081 of 2,360
I haven't compare them but there's people around this thread and in this forum that say it's indeed a step up, how much of a step up it is?, well I think we're entering the realm of ever increasing diminishing returns, I don't imagine the V222 or the MJ3 being several times better than the S17, it's going to definitively be an upgrade and a noticeable one but I imagine it's going to be like moving from a RTX 3080 to a RTX 4080, reaching for comparisons to the pc gaming world, there's a measurable increase in performance but it's not something out of this world. You have to keep in mind than when people in this forum say something it's way better, we're talking about audiophile differences, that means, if you grab a person out of the street and put a pair of headphones on their head and ask them to tell you the difference between this amp and that dac combo vs this other combo, they're not going to be able to tell you there's any difference at all, people are going to stretch A LOT how much "sound quality" and "performance" you're gaining moving from x or y electronics box over to this other you currently have, 30%, 40%, 50% and even more when in reality this are more like tonality shifts and slight improvements at best to suit different tastes and we're most likely just dealing with increases in actual performance that might just barely be above margin of error, if even that.

So unless you have a very specific reason why you need the upgrade for your specific use case, besides FOMO or audio nervosa, don't fret about it and be happy with what you currently have.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #2,082 of 2,360
I haven't compare them but there's people around this thread and in this forum that say it's indeed a step up, how much of a step up it is?, well I think we're entering the realm of ever increasing diminishing returns, I don't imagine the V222 or the MJ3 being several times better than the S17, it's going to definitively be an upgrade and a noticeable one but I imagine it's going to be like moving from a RTX 3080 to a RTX 4080, reaching for comparisons to the pc gaming world, there's a measurable increase in performance but it's not something out of this world. You have to keep in mind than when people in this forum say something it's way better, we're talking about audiophile differences, that means, if you grab a person out of the street and put a pair of headphones on their head and ask them to tell you the difference between this amp and that dac combo vs this other combo, they're not going to be able to tell you there's any difference at all, people are going to stretch A LOT how much "sound quality" and "performance" you're gaining moving from x or y electronics box over to this other you currently have, 30%, 40%, 50% and even more when in reality this are more like tonality shifts and slight improvements at best to suit different tastes and we're most likely just dealing with increases in actual performance that might just barely be above margin of error, if even that.

So unless you have a very specific reason why you need the upgrade for your specific use case, besides FOMO or audio nervosa, don't fret about it and be happy with what you currently have.
Exactly my worry. I am not even sure that I will be able to hear the difference between Singxer and Mjolnir, and especially between aune and MJ. And if I will be able then I don't know which type of sound I like. I am looking to buy my FIRST amp and for me two finalists for the purchase are Aune s17 pro and Schiit Mjolnir.
From all the high-level discussions my main takes are:
- MJ3 is better because it will push any chain equipment that I will bring later to it's limit and opens all of its perks (as well as issues). Plus warranty and quality are better (and it still needs cooling). Looks better then Aune (subjectively) and manufacturer's name is more interesting (subjectively). The sound in terms of perceived quality can be different to Aune but they are different views on the very good sound. Schiit build quality is believed to be excellent so there is a chance to use it for longer than 10 years.
- Aune is better because it can hide some imperfections of the chain. It covers the majority of headphones that I would ever buy and use. It costs two times less. Sound wize it should be as good as MJ3 but a different sort of good. Fewer talks about "YOU WILL NEED A DAC FOR 6K NZD just to make sure you are satisfied with a beast)

- MJ3 is not good, because you need a cooler on top of it. It is believed to be so resolving, so many people are finding that they must buy DAC that is 3-4 times more expensive than the amp, in order to be satisfied with its performance. It is a Huge beast that will be difficult to put properly on my computer table. It is twice more expensive
- Aune is not good, because you need a cooler under it. It can be some quality control issues resulting in a potential return which should be sent to Chinese distributor (I will be ordering directly from aune in china). warranty is less and based on potential QC control issues there is a chance that it will not serve as long as MJ.

I know, it is a silly problem that I've made for myself... I'm more then sure that I will be happy with any of two. just want to understand which one will make just a touch happier and whether it will be because it sounds "more" or costs less )

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #2,083 of 2,360
I've got a bit too add.

I heard the MJ3 (at the Schiit table with a Yggy) at a meet about 5 months ago and thought the Feliks Echo 2 was much better with my HD-600 and a borrowed HD-800S. I didn't like it with my HE-6 SE either. Too bright.

I've heard the S17 Pro a few times and it's good, maybe a tad under my Rag 1. From memory the v-281 is better than my Rag 1 or the S17 Pro - but I do not know if the new Violectrics are a match for the V-281. If so, then that Drop suggestion seems interesting.

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #2,084 of 2,360
Exactly my worry. I am not even sure that I will be able to hear the difference between Singxer and Mjolnir, and especially between aune and MJ. And if I will be able then I don't know which type of sound I like. I am looking to buy my FIRST amp and for me two finalists for the purchase are Aune s17 pro and Schiit Mjolnir.
From all the high-level discussions my main takes are:
- MJ3 is better because it will push any chain equipment that I will bring later to it's limit and opens all of its perks (as well as issues). Plus warranty and quality are better (and it still needs cooling). Looks better then Aune (subjectively) and manufacturer's name is more interesting (subjectively). The sound in terms of perceived quality can be different to Aune but they are different views on the very good sound. Schiit build quality is believed to be excellent so there is a chance to use it for longer than 10 years.
- Aune is better because it can hide some imperfections of the chain. It covers the majority of headphones that I would ever buy and use. It costs two times less. Sound wize it should be as good as MJ3 but a different sort of good. Fewer talks about "YOU WILL NEED A DAC FOR 6K NZD just to make sure you are satisfied with a beast)

- MJ3 is not good, because you need a cooler on top of it. It is believed to be so resolving, so many people are finding that they must buy DAC that is 3-4 times more expensive than the amp, in order to be satisfied with its performance. It is a Huge beast that will be difficult to put properly on my computer table. It is twice more expensive
- Aune is not good, because you need a cooler under it. It can be some quality control issues resulting in a potential return which should be sent to Chinese distributor (I will be ordering directly from aune in china). warranty is less and based on potential QC control issues there is a chance that it will not serve as long as MJ.

I know, it is a silly problem that I've made for myself... I'm more then sure that I will be happy with any of two. just want to understand which one will make just a touch happier and whether it will be because it sounds "more" or costs less )
I would recommend instead of focusing on the subjective aspects of this question and diving straight into to weeds it would be better if you first ask yourself, what's your budget? even if money it's not a question for you, you should put a limit on how much are your willing to spend on a DAC and Amp, specially if it's going to be your first dive into this endless rabbit hole.

Second would be: what headphones do I have or want to get and given that, what kind of power do I need to drive them to their fullest potential, within reason of course.

If this is your first experience with high end personal audio, going straight away for the MJ3 might not be a good idea because you're not going to be able to appreciate what this amp brings to the table, I would suggest you go for something more modest like an magni unity or something like that, and then decide if you want something more and better.

Also you should considere if your needs would be better serve with a desktop solution or a more portable one.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #2,085 of 2,360
Second would be: what headphones do I have or want to get and given that, what kind of power do I need to drive them to their fullest potential, within reason of course.
third and most importantly, what do your ears like when listening to music?

it's all well and good talking about graphs and neutrality but if your ears hate what it produces, then your ears hate what it produces. navigate from what you've liked in the past and build from there

opinions are opinions so it's important to try and seek opinions from people who share similar tastes to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back