Aune S17 pro
Apr 8, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #2,056 of 2,227
Is there any truth to USB 3.0 providing better performance? I suppose it would make sense with higher bandwidth capabilities, but a quick search shows that Supra USB cables are 2.0. Saying that, DAC USB inputs seem to be 2.0 anyway, so maybe it's just more marketing gimmicks

edit: similarly, I'd be interested in seeing whether the output on the source itself has anything to do with it. I used to have audio artefacts all the time when I plugged it directly into my USB 3.0 port on my old Windows laptop, but since using Thunderbolt 4 I've not had any issues. there's gotta be a lot more variables beyond just cables that affect how the digital audio data is passed from source to DAC over USB

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #2,057 of 2,227
What if you have a integrated streamer/dac and you don't use a USB cable? How should you expect to improve your sound? With a 5 figure Ethernet cable from Ansuz? And if you use a nice USB cable between your dac and your streamer/pc shouldn't you also use a improved Ethernet cable? And what about the cables that your Internet provider uses between your modem and their servers? Maybe the only way should be to use a starlink kit, using a audiophile data cable between the antenna and the router. All these things have to be considered. Or we just can enjoy our music.
Forgot about the people who use their computers as streamers: what about the internal data cables inside your computer? Is there a solution for them?
Oh, the universe of what ifs, and maybe so's 🤷‍♂️

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #2,058 of 2,227
Some people are content to settle. Why buy an S17 when some ear buds can make sounds from your phone?
Good question. As someone implied before, a good usb cable makes more difference than a amp upgrade, so I'm considering selling the S17 Pro to fund a nice USB cable to use with my earbuds.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #2,059 of 2,227
Some people are content to settle. Why buy an S17 when some ear buds can make sounds from your phone?
Skip the ear buds, just listen through the speakers on your phone.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #2,061 of 2,227
Is there any truth to USB 3.0 providing better performance? I suppose it would make sense with higher bandwidth capabilities, but a quick search shows that Supra USB cables are 2.0. Saying that, DAC USB inputs seem to be 2.0 anyway, so maybe it's just more marketing gimmicks

edit: similarly, I'd be interested in seeing whether the output on the source itself has anything to do with it. I used to have audio artefacts all the time when I plugged it directly into my USB 3.0 port on my old Windows laptop, but since using Thunderbolt 4 I've not had any issues. there's gotta be a lot more variables beyond just cables that affect how the digital audio data is passed from source to DAC over USB

From what I've read in my time, USB 2.0 is generally enough for DACs cause that's enough bandwidth for audio, and a 2.0 cable is better cause there's less extra pins connected that would have potential for ground loops or anything else, but thats from stuff I've read once here and there.

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #2,062 of 2,227
+1 for the Excalibur USB cable....

Power-Cables.jpg

First ever "premium USB cable". Last premium USB cable I'll be buying. Not interested in looking for anything else.

I have it going from my PC to my Denafrips Iris DDC. DDC to Pontus DAC via Supra HDMI cable to I2S input. Signal going into DAC to Denafrips Headphone amp are extremely clean and quiet.
+1 for the Excalibur USB cable with similar setup Mac -> Supra Excalibur USB –> MUSICIAN Pisces DDC -> AVplay HD-300 I2S HDMI -> MUSICIAN Pegasus DAC. Heaven in ears... 😇

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #2,063 of 2,227
Fantastic to hear, many thanks! I have heard not-so-great things about Musician as a company, but ultimately if I'd be getting it second hand I don't see it being an issue. It's between Musician Pegasus and Ares 12th-1 for me now...
Those two are both great DACs, you wont be wrong with either of them. I would go for Pegasus between those two. It's a higher grade DAC (on the level of Pontus).

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #2,064 of 2,227
+1 for the Excalibur USB cable with similar setup Mac -> Supra Excalibur USB –> MUSICIAN Pisces DDC -> AVplay HD-300 I2S HDMI -> MUSICIAN Pegasus DAC. Heaven in ears... 😇
Can you still hear a difference between USB cables even with the MUSICIAN Pisces DDC and AVplay HD-300?

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #2,065 of 2,227
Fantastic to hear, many thanks! I have heard not-so-great things about Musician as a company, but ultimately if I'd be getting it second hand I don't see it being an issue. It's between Musician Pegasus and Ares 12th-1 for me now...
Yeah, I've heard a lot of negative things about Musician, all hearsay though. Basically, their units are said to be repackaged Denafrips designs (and the pictures of the internals, control arrangement, and back panel I/O seem to support that, but I'm no engineer) and I've read some horror stories about their customer service (or, more accurately, absolute lack thereof). And I just tried to look at their website and it doesn't inspire confidence that it is blocked by my antivirus as a suspicious site (not that it's shady, probably just poorly maintained with non-matching or out of date security certificates; I get the same message on some clearly upstanding sites, like the Hoboken NJ Public Library). But I agree that most or all of this is irrelevant if you are buying second hand. If buying new, I'd advise that sticking to Denafrips and its Vinshine distributer seems a safer route.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #2,066 of 2,227
I recently attended a "workshop" at a dealer near me. A salesman from Ansuz has gradually changed various cables

Some people experience a difference between cables and don't need "a salesman from Ansuz" for that. Other people don't experience such differences and therefore they don't need "a salesman from Ansuz" either. Devices differ in their input and output impedance and there are also devices which galvanically isolate their digital input (for example Holo DACs) so it depends on concrete devices in a chain how much can cables affect sound.

My recommendation: Borrow some cables from your friends or buy from a shop which allows easy returns (Amazon, ...). Try it yourself on your audio chain (and not on the chain of a salesman from Ansuz) if you experience a difference. That will tell you which category you fall into. Now you don't know.

Please don't reply here, better to continue in a cable thread if you have interest.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #2,067 of 2,227
I ended up ordering 10-foot Excalibur USB cable, after that order way placed, after I became concerned the 6-foot cable ordered would be too short. Turned out it wasn't, so when the 10-footer arrived, I returned it.... in exchange for another Supra LoRad copper power cord, as well as 3 meters (about 10-feet) of DIY supra LoRad cooper cable for a later power-cord build somewhere down the road.

Anyway, I slapped the spare copper cord on my DAC and moved the silver cord from DAC to the CD player. Moving the copper cord to the DAC added heft and tightened up the bottom. The silver cable to the CD player just opened in up there. So now when I play CD's I get more clarity and spaciousness while also having that wonderful bottom the copper cable is allowing the DAC to provide. Pure listening joy now :sunglasses:

For reference of where I'm coming from see this > post.

In a nutshell (and depending on your system/components) if you're one who loves a wide soundstage with lots of detail, you'd probably want the LoRad silver power-cord. If you prefer weight and heft in your music with tighter bass notes, and a more intimate (closer soundstage), the LoRad copper power-cord is best here. I prefer the latter.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:02 AM Post #2,068 of 2,227
Can you still hear a difference between USB cables even with the MUSICIAN Pisces DDC and AVplay HD-300?
To be honest, I did not make any comparisons as I firmly believe that every cable in the system (power, USB, inter, optical, etc.) needs to be of a certain quality that corresponds to the level of your gear. To me it is pointless to spend 500$ for whatever cable in my particular system but is also a big NO NO to stick with the original cables that came with the system. That said I never buy quality cables new for MSRP, I always buy them used with a decent 40 to 50 % discount and that makes me happy twice as much... 🙂 And secondly, DDC in does not replace the need of quality cables in the system. In fact it's quite the opposite - DDC brings more resolution to your system and with that it would make no sense whatsoever to bury that sound quality gain with a mediocre cables. A system is only that good as it's weakest point. That includes all cables in the system. That is my believe.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #2,069 of 2,227
If anyone is interested, I have a black Aune S17 Pro, no volume problems, no overheating problems, no cable problems, last batch from European Aune supplier with invoice and warranty. You can contact me. Thank you

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back