Aune S17 pro
Mar 20, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #1,877 of 2,341
It would be a valuable information that the users who found out a difference regarding the operating temperature with different cables would test their units with no cables connected.
Without cables 100mA high gain: After 30 minutes 47 oC, 45 minutes 52 oC, 60 minutes 56 oC and stabilizes to 62 oC in 120+ minutes.

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #1,880 of 2,341
Also did the test, my room temperature was 23, and after 1h I get 57C (only RCAs connected)
IMG_8331.jpeg

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #1,881 of 2,341
Yeah.
For comparison my room -and starting temperature is 21 oC. You've got a "flying start". Cooler stand or something like that is a must I guess.
My unit is at 27C on boot. I have it raised in a stand and use two fans connected to 5 Volt USB (they operate at a much lower speed than if I use them connected to a dedicated transformer, and working at the reduced speed are completely silent). With these fans the maximum temperature it reached was 64C.

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #1,884 of 2,341
So it seems in March still the heating situation hasn't been addressed in newer batches of the S17 Pro - is it a lottery per unit or is it a 'feature'? If its a feature of this product then I am presuming this just how it is, and perhaps a later product upgrade will fix it, but Aune have a 12-18 month window on new products so not much point in waiting... 🤷‍♂️

Mine just went back, the volume control was crazy, half the time there was no adjustment at all then little jumps - a bit like someone mentioned way back in the thread! I'm hoping that was a one off (it was an open box deal so maybe earlier stock) as this is a really good sounding amp, but before mine went back it had already got up into the 60's and its only just spring here in the UK - so that's a worry too! I'm asking the reseller if they have more confidence in the later batches as it certainly is not their fault, and if they do then I will stump up full price and get one.

Of course the problem arises that later on, maybe a year or 18 months, when I fancy an upgrade, the reputation of the S17 might be so poor I won't be able to sell it on. I do think Aune need to address the overheating issue, maybe working directly with those effected to figure out the cause and a way to rectify it... the company have a good reputation and this situation is pulling it down. I certainly won't be installing fans or attaching heat sinks... that's a job for @AuneAudio to address surely, I really hope they will?

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #1,885 of 2,341
Also did the test, my room temperature was 23, and after 1h I get 57C (only RCAs connected)
IMG_8331.jpeg
After 4h of use it’s at 67c, using an XLR forzaworks cable and HE1000v2, room temperature is 24c now, I think everything that gravitate around the amp can influence the temperature dissipation, I mean RCA/XLR cables, HP cable, HP impedance and obviously room temperature, as different combinations of cables/HPs are producing different temperatures, so far I haven’t crossed the 69c but it’s close now and it will be annoying changing to 50ma

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #1,886 of 2,341
Wanted to share my solution for the temp issue, got a slim noctua fan ,some metal feet and a usb to fan connector adapter that has a switch from ali express.
Stuck the feet and the fan to the bottom and the switch to the back with double sided tape, the fan comes with a low noise and an ultra low noise adapters (they lower the RPM of the fan), im using the low noise one at the moment and the fan is basically silent, the results are as follows:
In my 21-23C room using XLR, High gain and 100ma on my DCA E3s the amp gets to around 66C, when i switch the fan on, after about 20 minutes it goes down to 55C and stays there, i bet if i didnt use any of the low noise adapters id shave a few more degrees but i dont really see the need.

Adapter

Feet

(for some reason the links only work if i use middle mouse to open a new tab)

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-20 at 20.38.22.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-20 at 20.38.22 (3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-20 at 20.38.22 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-20 at 20.38.22 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-20 at 20.38.22 (4).jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #1,887 of 2,341
Wanted to share my solution for the temp issue, got a slim noctua fan ,some metal feet and a usb to fan connector adapter that has a switch from ali express.
Stuck the feet and the fan to the bottom and the switch to the back with double sided tape, the fan comes with a low noise and an ultra low noise adapters (they lower the RPM of the fan), im using the low noise one at the moment and the fan is basically silent, the results are as follows:
In my 21-23C room using XLR, High gain and 100ma on my DCA E3s the amp gets to around 66C, when i switch the fan on, after about 20 minutes it goes down to 55C and stays there, i bet if i didnt use any of the low noise adapters id shave a few more degrees but i dont really see the need.

Adapter

Feet

(for some reason the links only work if i use middle mouse to open a new tab)

This is probably the cleanest and least intrusive solution I've seen yet for controlling the temps on this amp so far. Great Job dude and thanks for sharing this with us.

Edit: Btw, how did you attached the feet under the amp and how did you get rid of the original small rubber feet that the amp comes with?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #1,888 of 2,341
So it seems in March still the heating situation hasn't been addressed in newer batches of the S17 Pro - is it a lottery per unit or is it a 'feature'? If its a feature of this product then I am presuming this just how it is, and perhaps a later product upgrade will fix it, but Aune have a 12-18 month window on new products so not much point in waiting... 🤷‍♂️

Mine just went back, the volume control was crazy, half the time there was no adjustment at all then little jumps - a bit like someone mentioned way back in the thread! I'm hoping that was a one off (it was an open box deal so maybe earlier stock) as this is a really good sounding amp, but before mine went back it had already got up into the 60's and its only just spring here in the UK - so that's a worry too! I'm asking the reseller if they have more confidence in the later batches as it certainly is not their fault, and if they do then I will stump up full price and get one.

Of course the problem arises that later on, maybe a year or 18 months, when I fancy an upgrade, the reputation of the S17 might be so poor I won't be able to sell it on. I do think Aune need to address the overheating issue, maybe working directly with those effected to figure out the cause and a way to rectify it... the company have a good reputation and this situation is pulling it down. I certainly won't be installing fans or attaching heat sinks... that's a job for @AuneAudio to address surely, I really hope they will?
Hi, thanks for your interest in the S17 Pro:) You mentioned the open-box unit you tried has volume issue, then it should be from a very early batch. We've solved it right after we got that feedback.

Please also refer to the posts below:

Thanks everybody for all the feedback and support. We are so glad and thankful that you like the sound of the S17 Pro which we made with our heart:)

To reply to the issues you may be concerned about:

1. The volume control of the S17 Pro is composed of an R2R chip and has 64 steps. The S17 Pro is mainly designed for large headphones. When we received user advice on volume, we took it seriously and have optimized the volume curve.The units now all use the new volume curve. If you are an earlier buyer and if it bothers you, please contact us via Email sales@auneaudio.com for a volume upgrade.

2. The S17 Pro is pure Class-A. Both 50mA mode and 100mA mode are class-A. There’s no Class-AB.

3. The 100mA mode of the S17 Pro is like the GT mode in a car, where the maximum throttle is engaged, and the car's continuous extreme mode also leads to significant power consumption. In 100mA mode, there’s 0.2A per channel, even without headphones connected. The temperature rises noticeably faster compared to 50mA mode. High ambient temperatures and low impedance headphones can cause even faster temperature increases. Setting the jump to 50mA at 69 degrees is to ensure the stability of the device, similar to the restriction of maximum engine speed in a car. As long as the temperature is below 69℃, you can enable the 100mA mode again.

4. Any true Class A amplifier will have thermal noise due to the continuous presence of 100mA static current. The S17 Pro is already a well designed one, with a noise floor of only 4μv which is extremely low. And, as the S17 Pro is just an amplifier, if the front-end equipment has a noise floor, it will cause the S17 Pro to exhibit noise as well. If you are experiencing severe issues, please check your front-end audio source.

Hope the information helps.

Thanks for all your support. May music and joy always be with you:)

Hi, firmwares can only optimize volume and cannot modify current.

As the S17 Pro is a pure class A headphone amplifier, if a cable is too long and lacks sufficient internal insulation, it may increase the overall load and potentially generate more heat. (High ambient temperatures and low impedance headphones can cause temperature increases too.)

The temperature sensor of the S17 Pro is fixed on the heat sink of the transistor, so it measures the temperature of the output transistor. The screen displays the real-time temperature of the hottest core component.

The picture below shows the temperatures of the chassis when the S17 Pro displays 60 ℃.

1709199857473.png

Actually, some home routers' internal core components can reach 70 ℃ too. We set the jump to 50mA at 69 ℃ that keeps the temperature of the core components below 69 ℃. In fact, it is safe for the core output transistors to operate below 80 ℃.

However, if you encounter any abnormal situation or excessively high temperatures, it may be a defectiveness issue. Please contact your distributor, and we will ensure your satisfaction:)

aune For music we design. Stay updated on aune at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/auneaudioofficial https://twitter.com/auneaudio https://www.instagram.com/auneaudio http://www.auneaudio.com sales@auneaudio.com
Mar 21, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #1,889 of 2,341
This is probably the cleanest and least intrusive solution I've seen yet for controlling the temps on this amp so far. Great Job dude and thanks for sharing this with us.

Edit: Btw, how did you attached the feet under the amp and how did you get rid of the original small rubber feet that the amp comes with?
I used thick double sided tape to attach both the feet and the fan, and to remove the original feet i just used a thin screw driver to pry them off, they are stuck on with strong glue, on the pic of the bottom you can see i stuck them back on between the bigger feet just in case id ever need then again for some reason, doubt it though.

Mar 21, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #1,890 of 2,341
Hi, thanks for your interest in the S17 Pro:) You mentioned the open-box unit you tried has volume issue, then it should be from a very early batch. We've solved it right after we got that feedback.

Please also refer to the posts below:
Thanks for your reply, yes my reseller is now exchanging the open box item (which was reduced in price so I knew exactly what I was buying, but the volume control and the heating were too much to cope with! 😊) and a new unit is on its way to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back