Aune S17 pro
Dec 6, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #542 of 2,487
Hi All,

Please find attached a message from Aune Distribution Austria/Germany and Aune-Store.com:
For convenience I also included the contents below. For questions you can contact them or Aune directly.

“Message from Aune Distribution Austria / Germany and Aune-Store.com :
Even as a distributor or dealer, we are not always informed about every step at all times. The fact is that there was and to our knowledge there is not a single faulty unit.
Aune has reacted to the feedback on the volume control in the product cycle and implemented a different, finer programming of the R2R volume controller. The hardware is always the same, but the programming is different.
Buyers and reviewers of the S17 Pro are for the most part extremely satisfied with their amps with both the one and the other programming of the R2R controller.
As a distributor and dealer in Germany and Austria, we offer each of our customers excellent service in all matters and look forward to hearing from our customers and are sure that we can meet their needs and take care of customers who prefer a finer tuning.
Customers worldwide can contact Aune directly with any questions or concerns (sales@auneaudio.com) and will observe great service.
If there are any uncertainties regarding new orders, we will of course be happy to clarify these at any time. First of all, you will receive the variant of the programming with the fine gradations from us.
Since a message was also written in the forum that the S17 Pro is 100 € cheaper at Hifi Go, you should first do some proper research and as soon as a European address is entered in the shopping basket there, the price rises to the European level as taxes have to be paid in Europe.
Aune is a brand with very high quality and reliable products and there is probably no need to discuss about sound and the price-performance ratio. Also we as a Distributor and Aune as a brand will provide customers with great product service.”

Attachments

• Message from Aune Distribution Austria.pdf
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #543 of 2,487
"Aune has reacted to the feedback on the volume control in the product cycle and implemented a different, finer programming of the R2R volume controller. The hardware is always the same, but the programming is different."

Why would Aune have all of the hardware in place but then intentionally program it to only change volume every 5 clicks, and make a big jump at 56, and the change in medium jumps every time from 56 to 63?

Sounds like spin to me. I sent a message to Aune directly and they never got back to me.

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #544 of 2,487
Got the amplifier five days ago. I'm currently using it with an ifi micro Signature as a Dac via RCA and a Hifiman Arya v2 via 4.4 Pentacon.
I like the sound of the device very much. The difference to the ifi micro is audible, but not gigantic.
I reach temperatures between 64-67 degrees Celsius in 100ma operation. But never above that so far. That means no forced downshift to 50ma yet. I hear at max approx. 42 in H / 50 in L mode.
So far I have not noticed any noticeable behaviour of the volume control in the 50-60 range often mentioned here. No jumps or similar. If the volume control is turned, the conversion takes place in almost real time.
The fact that the screen cannot be switched off or dimmed is a real omission on the part of the developers

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #545 of 2,487
I looked briefly through the ad copy and owners manual and didn't find it written anywhere that the volume control was supposed to have 63 even steps or whatever. So without anything official ever documented in writing or if they removed it from any online documentation. Aune can say anything they want now about the wonky volume behavior as being intentional so as to avoid having to repair this situation under warranty. I am surprised that none of the half dozen professional reviewers said anything about this. When I get a chance I'll have to go back and see what they said about the new R2R volume control. Which is a noteworthy big deal.

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #547 of 2,487
I looked briefly through the ad copy and owners manual and didn't find it written anywhere that the volume control was supposed to have 63 even steps or whatever. So without anything official ever documented in writing or if they removed it from any online documentation. Aune can say anything they want now about the wonky volume behavior as being intentional so as to avoid having to repair this situation under warranty. I am surprised that none of the half dozen professional reviewers said anything about this. When I get a chance I'll have to go back and see what they said about the new R2R volume control. Which is a noteworthy big deal.
Sorry, R2R volume control is settled for 63 steps
https://www.audiodesignguide.com/VolumeNew/index.html

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #551 of 2,487
If the volume has 63 steps, maybe, that's the R2R used in S17...
Aune states that the volume control chip is from JRC but I can't find anything on it. This reviewer noticed the big jump in volume between 55 and 56. He estimated it to double in loudness and called it 3db but when I match volume with digital volume control in the player it is more like 7db indicated. There is a 3db jump every 4th click as in 47 to 48, and then 48-51 do nothing, then 51 to 52 jumps 3db ect. All the way up and down. Until you get to 56 which jumps 7db. And then each click from there up to 63 jumps 3db.

All of this just makes me wonder how much more beautiful this amp could really sound if the volume section was working correctly.

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #552 of 2,487
All of this just makes me wonder how much more beautiful this amp could really sound if the volume section, cooling area etc, was working correctly.
Oh well 🤷🏻‍♂️😒:
D842FF90-8958-404C-9AA0-33842A023F1E.jpeg

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #553 of 2,487
I have installed loudspeaker spikes under my unit to provide some airflow.

Didn't help, still reaches 68 degrees and downshifts to 50 mA mode. I'm furious and feel robbed. It is winter, how will it behave during summer ???

It's obviously a badly engineered product, shouldn't have let it into the market. FU Aune, and all the paid liar testers on Youtube.

aune.jpg

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #554 of 2,487
I have installed loudspeaker spikes under my unit to provide some airflow.

Didn't help, still reaches 68 degrees and downshifts to 50 mA mode. I'm furious and feel robbed. It is winter, how will it behave during summer ???

It's obviously a badly engineered product, shouldn't have let it into the market. FU Aune, and all the paid liar testers on Youtube.

aune.jpg
Can't you return it, if you are this unhappy with it?

Dec 7, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #555 of 2,487
Received it finally and I am very happy with it and probably I was a bit lucky with my unit. Silver unit, 220V and my S/N is in the 3-hundreds. To assess the volume behavior, I placed my HE6se V2 on my miniDSP EARS and measured the SPL for each volume step. The HE6se V2 ist connecteted to the 4.4mm balanced output.
The S17pro is in LOW GAIN mode and at 50mA amperage. It is fed by XLR from my ADI-2 DAC (which has its Line-Out damped by 3dB and the windows volume is at 96/100) with a 1 kHz signal (resulting in a level of -23.0). The temperature ranged from 50 to 55 deg C during the test (standing on extra feet).

My results:
1. I would go deaf if I would put the HE6se at maximum volume on my head. People were walking on the moon when I was born and thus my hearing is definitely far from good but I cannot understand that anyone could stand this volume for more than a second. I don't want to imagine what it would generate in High Gain at max.
2. The SPL increases with every other volume step in a nearly perfect 2.0 dB step width.
3. There is no volume jump with my unit.

Here the SPL db values for the relevant volume range:

So for my unit, everything works perfectly. Temperature behavior will be monitored by me... and sound quality (at 100mA) is outstanding - subjectively better than my Burson Soloist 3x GT (in stock configuration). So I guess it is safe to say that the newer units are behaving well.

auneS17pro--2LM02wqFR0ONDfvJCZLXkQ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back