Aune S17 pro
Dec 8, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #571 of 2,487
Behold the beauty of logarithmic scales!
As requested the measured SPL dB(A) 1 kHz values with some well-known headphones of different sensitivities at lower volume ranges on the aune S17pro. Same settings as for the HE6se V2 above (XLR input from ADI-2, all in LOW GAIN) with the exception of keeping it in the 100mA setting to check the temperature (currently at 66 deg C after the tests).
All on the balanced 4.4mm output (including the Beyer DT880 600 Ohm which I modded long time ago). I was to lazy to write down every volume step - the 2clicks=2dB steps are very consistent (I did however test this time how reproducible they are coming back from other volumes to the same setting... and they yield the same SPL within +- 0.1 dB).

I learned from this test that the Focal Clear ("pro" = OG with other colour) and the Sennheiser HD 660s have exactly the same sensitivity which somehow surprised me.
The DT880_600(bal) generates a SPL of 99.4 dB(A) at max. volume in LOW gain. Thus driving them all is no problem for the S17pro even in Low Gain - and they all sound very well driven with enough authority and control.
The most sensitive one of this bunch, the Meze 109pro is loud enough for me at vol=18..22 and faint enough at vol=01 (however not completely quiet; music is still listenable)... sensitive IEMs thus might require more digital volume reduction (I am not an IEM guy before someone asks :wink: ).

Vol (Low Gain)SPL(1 kHz) HE6seMeze109proFocal Clearhd660shd800sdt880_600_bal

... now I would like to go back to listening to music on my S17pro, not to 1 kHz tones :wink:

EDIT:
It is running now for more than 7 hours in 100mA mode and is fairly constant at 67deg C. No fallback to 50mA up to now. Will move it from the current very well ventilated area to a little bit more confined space - hope it keeps that temperature behavior after that.
Thank you! A very workable amp with good range.

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #573 of 2,487
Hmmm. I ordered my S17 on November 15 (it shipped on the 16th) directly from the official Aune store in China, so I wonder what version I got. In any case, I'm not too fussed about the volume control issue. Regardless of which version I may have, I've found that every headphone I've tried with the S17 (Arya Stealth, ZMF Aeolus, Focal Elex) all work well in low gain at roughly 35-42.

I am a little concerned about the heat issue. So far, I have not had a problem; even after 4-5 hours of warm-up and use, I've never seen a temperature above 65 and it usually stays around 63. I stuck on .89 inch (about 22 mm) rubber feet as soon as I unboxed the S17. But it's winter now and my apartment is pretty cool (and I often have a window cracked during the day for fresh air). But in the summer, even with the AC making it comfortable for me (and I hate heat) I know my apartment is significantly warmer than it is now. Well, I'll find out in 6-7 months (if I make it, as I tend to say since hitting 70 this fall).
You can easily notice if at any given volume setting weather it takes 2 clicks to make a change, or 4. The reason why I nave been so adamant about the wonky volume control issue is also how should it be that I am listening to Ananda Nano at 56?

I am going to order another S17 today and compare them side by side before I send the malfunctioning one back.

The 100ma overheating issue is not a big deal for me since I find it hard to tell much difference to 50ma. More power hungry headphones might notice it more.

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #574 of 2,487
Yes exactly. The units have effectively 32 physical output volume steps and they are now distributed equally over the volume indicator range of the 64 different values (including 0) as I meant with every other step increases the SPL by 2dB. The first batch(es?) obviously had a different volume curve with slower increase at lower volume numbers and sudden jumps at higher ones. That was not to the liking of the users (not surprising) and that is corrected now.

"The first batch(es?) obviously had a different volume curve with slower increase at lower volume numbers and sudden jumps at higher ones. That was not to the liking of the users (not surprising) and that is corrected now."

Perhaps they did that (the first batch?) to accommodate IEM users where lower volume region is more important?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #575 of 2,487
You can easily notice if at any given volume setting weather it takes 2 clicks to make a change, or 4. The reason why I nave been so adamant about the wonky volume control issue is also how should it be that I am listening to Ananda Nano at 56?
Thanks. It might be the power of suggestion, but I'm listening (rather loudly) to The Ramones ATM and the volume does indeed appear to increase every second step (the even numbered ones) at least at my mid-30s to low-40s listening range. That does seem weird and crazy to have to get that high on the volume range on the Ananda Nano, even allowing that the Nano is much less sensitive than the original Ananda. It's now the same sensitivity as the Arya Stealth (94), which is plenty loud for me around 40 in low gain.

BTW, how's the weather in Syracuse? I went to college about 40 miles south; when it wasn't cold and snowy, it was cool and rainy. Good S17 weather.

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #578 of 2,487
I am perplexed by someone calling units with the original (initial) volume curve/programming "bad units, malfunctioning units".
It's just a volume curve setting chosen by the manufacturer at the time. It's not a hardware failure.
Now if your car behaves in the way for climate control where it might not be suitable for certain driving condition say out in California vs cold time in Maine (most of them are controlled by programming now), you will call that fine and move on? Nope... it is combination of software and hardware as whole product. That argument that hardware is fine might have been fine back in time of tube amp without any IC or programmable circuit involved in system. We are well beyond that now.
I am waiting to receive my S17 to see how I feel about this fiasco. Only reason I got S17 in order was since I do enjoy S9c quite a bit and expect similar enjoyment from it.

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #579 of 2,487
violin xxs.jpg

Dec 8, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #580 of 2,487
BTW, how's the weather in Syracuse? I went to college about 40 miles south; when it wasn't cold and snowy, it was cool and rainy. Good S17 weather.
Cloudy and 50F for tomorrow had lake snow once. 4 inches here that day but 12inches on tug hill plateau. Back to green grass now

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #581 of 2,487
I have an very early unit as my one is already since October with me, and it is the version with the big steps I know found out after this discussions here.
And .. I love this Amp, it is so greatfull with my headphones as I never have them heard playing like this before. Just Wow!
I already gave my Singxer SA-1 to my sun, no need anymore :wink:

The Volume steps never botters me I only found out about it here, but as my friend recieved his S17 just 2 days ago, and I was really wondering what is going on in this discussion here, and what is with my unit, I packed my S17 in the car and drove 2 hours to visit my friend to check the two S17 at his place.
And I am just back: Yes his volume knob has finer steps, we found out with white noise, at music playing it was not easy to find out for me at first
The sound is totally the same good fidelity with both, to check also on more then 56 we lowered the DAC output, and yes also it is totally same, just sound perfectly. We also checked with temp. All the time on the same level, even the starting from 22 to 50, they raise number by number in the same time.

So we are both lucky owners of the great S17 Pro now. I will think about reprogramming my unit, but I think there is no need as for me it is no issue at all.
I also have the Aune X7s which is Class A also and Aune X1s, it plays since long time in my office, and the quality is just great, and there was never any issue.

If anyone has one of these faulty S17 they are stuck with and is tired of the issues, I would be happy to buy it for $400.
As I really dont understand why you are making everybody so nervous about this amp, as it also was for me for some hours only. You already told here in 26. Nov. that you already have initiated an return for your unit, but also asking to keep it and get just a little refund, claiming nobody answering for this. And now 2 weeks later you still have it and writing almost every day about wonkie units. From my ethical point, if I make a return desiccion it is not my unit anymore and I send it back not making it more older. And now you ordered another one to compare.
Then everybody can read the statement that there is the posibility to just reprograme the R2R, and you just could have done this with your unit, but no just state that:
Sounds like spin to me.

Aune can say anything they want now about the wonky volume behavior as being intentional so as to avoid having to repair this situation under warranty.
Yes if somebody want a reprogram they do it, what I think it is a little better then warranty, and no there are no 400 USD Wanky Units.

For me I would be so much like to discuss about how it sounds in comparrison to other Amps, and how it works with this and that headphone.
I think we all no about the story now, there was an old and a new programming of the R2R volume controller, it is not an issue and not an default, just do settings, and yes it gets hot , Class A hot, and sounds unbelivable good and the haptic of the unit is upper class.
Maybe Sendler s first unit really has a deffect above 56, but I think thats it.

Dec 8, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #582 of 2,487
I have an very early unit as my one is already since October with me, and it is the version with the big steps I know found out after this discussions here.
And .. I love this Amp, it is so greatfull with my headphones as I never have them heard playing like this before. Just Wow!
I already gave my Singxer SA-1 to my sun, no need anymore :wink:

The Volume steps never botters me I only found out about it here, but as my friend recieved his S17 just 2 days ago, and I was really wondering what is going on in this discussion here, and what is with my unit, I packed my S17 in the car and drove 2 hours to visit my friend to check the two S17 at his place.
And I am just back: Yes his volume knob has finer steps, we found out with white noise, at music playing it was not easy to find out for me at first
The sound is totally the same good fidelity with both, to check also on more then 56 we lowered the DAC output, and yes also it is totally same, just sound perfectly. We also checked with temp. All the time on the same level, even the starting from 22 to 50, they raise number by number in the same time.
This is really good to know that the new version and the old version have the identical sound quality. Thank you for taking the time to do this. I will do the same next week when I get both amps here to check side by side before sending the first one back. And next to the A90D and a SPL Phonitor SE that I have an opportunity to also try.

As far as just "having my original unit reprogrammed", The Germany distributor is the only one I have seen mention this. The rep I am in contact with from Aune headquarters in China did not offer me any option to just have it reprogrammed. She said she would take it back and send me a new version S17. I can do the same with the arrangement that I have now with Amazon and I am not worried about a dely of a couple weeks before sending it back because there is apparently no distributor in the USA. Just Amazon store. So the old amp will likely have to go back to who knows where for any repair, even if it is just a flash.

I will be interested to see if anyone who does send their amp in for reprogramming will get the same one back or if it will also just be exchanged.

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #583 of 2,487
For the overheating...just try to change the headphone cable. I noticed that with two cables I have it reaches the 69 Celsius while with Forza Audioworks (ad example) it doesn't. Xlr 4pin balanced. I noticed that when I disconnect the two cables I used, in just 4 minutes the temp fall down about 4-5 degrees. Maybe some cables, I honestly don't know why, causes some "short"?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #584 of 2,487
Some people are just a business' nightmare. They buy multiple products with no intension of keeping them or buying a bunch and keeping only one. Buy, return, buy return. Driving up the cost and possibility reducing availability for the rest of ethical Comsumers. Some companies would be reluctant to conduct business in certain regions of the world.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #585 of 2,487
Some people are just a business' nightmare. They buy multiple products with no intension of keeping them or buying a bunch and keeping only one. Buy, return, buy return. Driving up the cost and possibility reducing availability for the rest of ethical Comsumers. Some companies would be reluctant to conduct business in certain regions of the world.
Since there is no longer any brick and mortar sales for high end audio, there is no way to audition anything other than mail order.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back