Aune S17 pro
Nov 27, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #376 of 2,486
The sound quality is terrible at any setting below 56 out of 63. At anything less than 56, it sounds totally broken.
It's very strange. I don't notice anything close to that on my device.

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #377 of 2,486
So, the big problem for me with the Aune S17 "wonky" volume behavior is: It's not just about larger than normal jumps in volume. The sound quality is terrible at any setting below 56 out of 63. At anything less than 56, it sounds totally broken. Muffled in a thick haze. Then when going from 55 to 56, it suddenly sounds open and beautifully detailed as it should. Even though I would have thought that with this much specified power, 56 would destroy my headphones and ears. Which on some tracks such with expansive dynamic range such as the excellent Janis Ian Live Tattoo, I am as high as 60 out of 63 into Ananda Nanos which are not hard to drive.
So, there are actually at least 3 issues with my unit:
Wonky jumps in volume control.
Anything less than 56 out of 63 sounds totally broken-completely hazy and veiled.
And, it doesn't seem to ever make it to what I would have expected to be max specified power or listening level.
Sound quality was never the issue with my S17, it is excellent at any volume setting.
Have you already contacted the seller as this should be solved/replaced.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #378 of 2,486
So, the big problem for me with the Aune S17 "wonky" volume behavior is: It's not just about larger than normal jumps in volume. The sound quality is terrible at any setting below 56 out of 63. At anything less than 56, it sounds totally broken. Muffled in a thick haze. Then when going from 55 to 56, it suddenly sounds open and beautifully detailed as it should. Even though I would have thought that with this much specified power, 56 would destroy my headphones and ears. Which on some tracks such with expansive dynamic range such as the excellent Janis Ian Live Tattoo, I am as high as 60 out of 63 into Ananda Nanos which are not hard to drive.
So, there are actually at least 3 issues with my unit:
Wonky jumps in volume control.
Anything less than 56 out of 63 sounds totally broken-completely hazy and veiled.
And, it doesn't seem to ever make it to what I would have expected to be max specified power or listening level.
You are the first with that kind of problem, honestly

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #379 of 2,486
At the moment I have not encountered any type of problem, as I said previously. The only thing I noticed, however, is that within about an hour the temperature reaches 69C and, for protection, goes from 100bias to 50bias. An hour to get to the cooking point seems like a short time to me 🤣🤣🤣. However, I honestly don't find any differences between 50 and 100 bias

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #380 of 2,486
At the moment I have not encountered any type of problem, as I said previously. The only thing I noticed, however, is that within about an hour the temperature reaches 69C and, for protection, goes from 100bias to 50bias. An hour to get to the cooking point seems like a short time to me 🤣🤣🤣. However, I honestly don't find any differences between 50 and 100 bias
At an environment temperature of 21 Celsius mine never exceeds 56 Celsius at 100mA or 46 Celsius at 50mA.

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #382 of 2,486
It is coming on Winter here and I keep my house at 16C. I have seen a temp of 65 once at which point I turned the bias down to the 50ma setting but it usually stays around 62. 100ma does sound substantially different than 50ma for me. but that could also be exacerbated by what seems to be a different issue with the S17 having to run nearly wide open to give the listening level I prefer.
I would honestly consider just abandoning the thought of using this amp and get a Topping A90D but those are also proving to be very unreliable for a couple different problems. And, the issues with that amp often do not arise until 6 months down the road. Which makes me doubt that even if you get a good one, that even 3 years later it will still be working.

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #384 of 2,486
Do you use xlr connection with dac, which volume the dac preamp? Do you use xlr connection to the headphones? At what volume do you ear? Thanks
My S17 Pro is placed directly on top of my Gustard R26 DAC, connected via XLR. Headphones are HiFiman HE6se v2 via 4.4mm pentacon balanced at Volume 44 (100mA bias and Low Gain)

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #386 of 2,486
It is coming on Winter here and I keep my house at 16C. I have seen a temp of 65 once at which point I turned the bias down to the 50ma setting but it usually stays around 62. 100ma does sound substantially different than 50ma for me. but that could also be exacerbated by what seems to be a different issue with the S17 having to run nearly wide open to give the listening level I prefer.
I would honestly consider just abandoning the thought of using this amp and get a Topping A90D but those are also proving to be very unreliable for a couple different problems. And, the issues with that amp often do not arise until 6 months down the road. Which makes me doubt that even if you get a good one, that even 3 years later it will still be working.
Please check your placement and ventilation. At a room temperature of 16 Celsius a well ventilated S17 would never go over 60 Celsius, imo.

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #389 of 2,486
Please check your placement and ventilation. At a room temperature of 16 Celsius a well ventilated S17 would never go over 60 Celsius, imo.
It is sitting on its own place on a desk with nothing else near it. If I end up staying with a replacement Aune S17, I will make some taller feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back