Aune M2 | AK4490 Dac | Class A amp | Dual Crystek USA Clocks |
Feb 11, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #301 of 824
@BarraNice to see you have been caught. Does the B1 really bring something with iems? I already have the Lotoo Paw Gold and Mojo stack, so I'd rather keep a lighter DAP but I am curious.

M2 Stacking Thoughts

At first, second, and third listen, using my Hidition NT6pro I was excited to hear a DAP that didn't need an amp to sound its best -"wow, no need for a stack here". But then I started listening with my HD700 and more so with my LCD2.2 and found that stacked, it reached desktop SQ allowing high volumes with no fatigue or distortion. Not only that, unlike cheap amps that get louder, brighter, and fatiguing with volume, this stack just makes the sound bigger, more detailed, and moves me closer to the action as I raise the volume. Being greedy for that last ounce of SQ, now I am unsure and will be going back to the NT6pro to finish my tour turn to see if it is worth the weight. In my use case, I am mainly using it in bed at night to fall asleep after obsessing about SQ for a while so weight doesn't overly matter, but here are some notes that might be useful:

• B1 Stack Value: I value the M2 for it unique clean transparency with the best treble I have ever heard. No fatigue what so ever while providing full on treble goodness in detail and reach - plus that tight punchy bass and rich plucky textured mids. Adding the B1 provides these values:
    1. Allows Higher Volumes: At higher volumes, the M2 starts to strain and gets that treble glare where it can become fatiguing. My interest in the M2 pro is to see if it resolves this with with an even better clock so your S version may be different. With the NT6pro being around 50 ohms it is easy to drive so I don't really typically play that loud given the CIEM isolation preferring to listen at low volume - so no issue for easy to drive CIEMs. This may be different for harder to drive CIEMs.
    2. Hum: Mim - Since I don't have a hum with my NT6pro, I cannot test this, but the stack may remove the hum with some of your low ohm CIEMs that you were complaining about - or it could make it worse.
    3. Mobile or Jamming: When moving around outside or enjoying a particular song, I do like to turn the volume way up for a short while. This is where the stack is of value to me with CIEMs and I will be testing further in the next couple of days.
    4. Full Size Cans: So, while borderline for CIEMs, it is absolutely a value for full sized cans. Easily justified for me given my LCD2.2 which they drive wonderfully and best my much more expensive and elaborate desktop in the pairing. They will bring my LCD2.2 out of retirement.
    5. Family Signature: The nice thing about the B1 is that it adds power and finesse without changing the perfected SQ that M2 already has. Considered using my BH2 instead, but it changes the signature away from what I like about the M2.
  • Stacking Considerations: The M2 and B1 make a pretty stack as they were built to stack together at the same size and shape.
    1. Looks: The B1 is much prettier than the M2 adding looks to the equation.
    2. Weight: They are very heavy together. The M2 is heavy alone and the B1 is equally as heavy so portable use requires planning.
    3. Brushed Aluminum: The brushed metal on brushed metal has a damaging feeling/sound like grinding teeth. If I was to stack them with bands, I would absolutely need some cushion between to avoid damage. Velcro would probably work better, but is unclean when not stacked.
  • Battery: Probably a non-issue given the same battery life as the M2, but at 7 hours (or less with an LCD2.2), an extra battery pack becomes a consideration to keep going throughout the day for long term use or flights making it a triple stack. Battery packs like mine are big and heavy adding to the already considerable weight. For me laying it next to me in bed, no problem except for maneuvering to find the forward button given my button pushing habits.

However Mim, given your spending habits, the B1 at $150 is pocket change for you and a no brainer that would work best with your harder to drive CIEMs. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #304 of 824
Thanks a million Barra. I am using the M2 as a portable solution, and planning on using it as a source for the Shure Kse1500.

I would still try the B1 just for the SQ but I like to use the M2 with the 846 which is low impedance...so does not make much sense.

Wow, stepping up for the electrostat. Jude seemed to think highly of it, but it fell off my radar. Anxious to hear what you think.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #306 of 824
Never abandoned it, just fell off an overly full plate and had not been reminded until now. Will definitely have to do some reading to catch up. :rolleyes:

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #307 of 824
  Playing with the tour M2 and B1 and have to say that I am really impressed. Guess I have to buy each now. While the M2 has the power to go stackless with my CIEMs and my HD700, the B1 brings my LCD2.2s to life in a way I have not heard before outside of a YGG/ROK stack without changing the Aune family sound that I am diggin. The Aune family signature - "dynamically musical transparent" - is very different from what I am used to hearing and definitely beats my AK100ii/BH2 stack even with just the M2 alone. Add the B1 and it is in another league. Maybe I am just used to the MOJO style signature (my typical preferred), but I have been hesitant to buy it as it is not much different from what I already have with my AK/BH2 stack. Don't hate me for saying this, but I am liking the M2/B1 stack SQ better than what I have heard the few times I have auditioned the MOJO. 

The real question is the M2 vs. the Pro. I am not seeing anyone other than @hakushondaimao that has heard them both side-by-side. I would really like to hear some detail on the SQ differences. Are we just splitting hairs trying to come up with a difference knowing it is supposed to be better, or is the SQ actually better in an obvious blind tested sort of way? Or is it just different and not necessarily better?

I know you've reviewed the geekout v1 and like it a lot. How does the M2 compare, at least from memory?

I have the geekout 450 and am very happy with the SQ and am hoping to get as close to it as I can in a DAP without spending too much.

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #308 of 824

Playing with the tour M2 and B1 and have to say that I am really impressed. Guess I have to buy each now. While the M2 has the power to go stackless with my CIEMs and my HD700, the B1 brings my LCD2.2s to life in a way I have not heard before outside of a YGG/ROK stack without changing the Aune family sound that I am diggin. The Aune family signature - "dynamically musical transparent" - is very different from what I am used to hearing and definitely beats my AK100ii/BH2 stack even with just the M2 alone. Add the B1 and it is in another league. Maybe I am just used to the MOJO style signature (my typical preferred), but I have been hesitant to buy it as it is not much different from what I already have with my AK/BH2 stack. Don't hate me for saying this, but I am liking the M2/B1 stack SQ better than what I have heard the few times I have auditioned the MOJO. 

The real question is the M2 vs. the Pro. I am not seeing anyone other than @hakushondaimao that has heard them both side-by-side. I would really like to hear some detail on the SQ differences. Are we just splitting hairs trying to come up with a difference knowing it is supposed to be better, or is the SQ actually better in an obvious blind tested sort of way? Or is it just different and not necessarily better?

I know you've reviewed the geekout v1 and like it a lot. How does the M2 compare, at least from memory?

I have the geekout 450 and am very happy with the SQ and am hoping to get as close to it as I can in a DAP without spending too much.

I had purchased the GO720 after reviewing both the 1000 and 450. What I liked about the GO is that it had a very tubey sound quality which when discussed with the GO staff at RMAF made them giggle as their HQ is filled with tubes from the GO creator. While not as euphoric as a full sized tube amp, it did provide an easy to listen to signature. This was my go to DAC/AMP for my HD700 until I got a new cable that allowed me to use my balanced desktop which easily outdid its SQ. I have since sold the GO. 

The M2 on the other hand is all about transparency, clarity, and dynamics which is a very different presentation from the GO lineup. They are complementary in that they allow you to hear your music library in a different way which makes it fun to re-listen. The M2 has a punchier bass per memory and bell like clarity that - well allows you to hear the most delicate bells - plus the resonance from them. It takes a bit of listening and running through songs before it sinks in just how clear the signature is as you start to pick out new sounds in familiar songs - yes, the old cliche. 

While my GO720 was bested by my desktop, the M2/B1 stack is not as it provides desktop performance that has brought my LCD2.2s out of retirement. Like a desktop setup, the Aune stack requires good recordings to get the best out of it, but the high res files are superb with it.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #309 of 824
  I had purchased the GO720 after reviewing both the 1000 and 450. What I liked about the GO is that it had a very tubey sound quality which when discussed with the GO staff at RMAF made them giggle as their HQ is filled with tubes from the GO creator. While not as euphoric as a full sized tube amp, it did provide an easy to listen to signature. This was my go to DAC/AMP for my HD700 until I got a new cable that allowed me to use my balanced desktop which easily outdid its SQ. I have since sold the GO. 

The M2 on the other hand is all about transparency, clarity, and dynamics which is a very different presentation from the GO lineup. They are complementary in that they allow you to hear your music library in a different way which makes it fun to re-listen. The M2 has a punchier bass per memory and bell like clarity that - well allows you to hear the most delicate bells - plus the resonance from them. It takes a bit of listening and running through songs before it sinks in just how clear the signature is as you start to pick out new sounds in familiar songs - yes, the old cliche. 

While my GO720 was bested by my desktop, the M2/B1 stack is not as it provides desktop performance that has brought my LCD2.2s out of retirement. Like a desktop setup, the Aune stack requires good recordings to get the best out of it, but the high res files are superb with it.

Thanks! You're not making it easier to resist this. What about power? Does it sound as punchy as the Geekout? 

Very much looking forward to someone doing a blind A/B of the M2 and the M2Pro.

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #310 of 824
Alright Head-Fi, for anyone that cares, here is my Aune Review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/aune-m2-32bit-dsd-portable-music-player/reviews/15263

Good enough that I am going to buy the stack - the only question is reg or pro.

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #311 of 824
Feb 16, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #312 of 824
Hallo an alle da draußen die mir weiter helfen könnten.Erhielt vor einer Woche mein neues M2 Aune Spieler.Leider spielte es noch eine MP3 Datei aus, noch eine Wav Datei.Sagte ich mir vielleicht liegt es an der jetzigen 1.10 Programm Version.Kopierte die 1.21 auf eine 2GB Micro karte setzte sie in den M2 und aufladen auf Ja gedrückt.Das Gerät machte nur eins und zwar die Meldung anzeigen(warte TF Datei ist am aufladen).Das ganze über Stunden hinweg bis der Akku alle war.Was muss also ein Neuankömmling in dieser Situation ganz am Anfang machen damit die neue Version und die Formate abgespielt werden können machen?

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #314 of 824
Hallo, in alle zu mir auf mein Problem die richtigen Antworten müssten. Wenn meine neue Aune m² Spieler hat vor einer Woche erhalten. Gesucht 1,10-1,21 upgraden. Nichts als die Ankündigung auf dem Bildschirm in der Upgrade-Prozess Warte TF ist in Last. Die Stunden. Nichts tat sich. Um die Batterie zu Ende war. Eine Datei, MP3 nie in Wav spielt das Gerät kümmern. Keine Ahnung, was da ist falsch. Kannst du mir helfen? 

Feb 16, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #315 of 824
Hello, in all to me on my problem the right answers would have. If my new Aune M² of player has received one week ago. Wanted from 1.10 to 1.21 upgraden. Nothing but the announcement on the screen in the upgrade process wait TF is in load. The hours. Nothing did itself. To the battery to ends was. A file MP3 never mind in Wav plays the device. No notion what is wrong there. Can you help me? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back