Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP with ESS9018KM + 2.5mm Balanced Out)
Jul 1, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #1,516 of 1,991
Well I had tested both of them by using Audio Technica ATH-M40x in the past...... these are my opinion

Aune M1s (Currently own)
-Highs, as we had mentioned tons of times in this thread Aune M1s has "Saber Glare" sound which means bright and sometimes a little harsh.......
-Mids is not emphasised and not very coloured.
-Lows extends quite a bit and is not as boomy.
-Imaging is where this device shines since it sound relatively "clear".
-Sound stage......... to be tested.

Cayin N3 (Had it exchanged over and over again due to internal circuit error and eventually gave up on it but I had a good time using it before it failed)
-Highs, nothing special..... in fact I found it to be a little rounded off on some occasion.
-Mids sounds warmer and you will feel more like you are in your home sweet home but don't get me wrong, it does not sound as warm as tube amps.
-Lows pretty airy..... I think that is all....
-Imaging is not as great as Aune M1s but better than Sony NWZ-A15.
-Sound stage......... forgive me......

I hope that this will help you a little...... also those description are based on my memory that I recalled so there might be a little error due to Cayin had released quite a few firmware upgrades.
awesomme bro i noticed you're malaysian where did you get you M1S from? i'm hard pressed between the two simply because i auditioned the m1s using balanced and loved it...but the lack of connectivity options is a real bummer iif it had bluetooth at the very least it would have been a done deal...still considering tho...i placed an order for the N3 but since it's awaiting stock i can change it to the M1S from the same shop but dunno cause if i get the aune then i need to get balanced cables for my e40s...that again brings up the cost...i dunno what the saber glare is since my current dap is a an apple ipod 4th gen...

Jul 1, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #1,517 of 1,991
awesomme bro i noticed you're malaysian where did you get you M1S from? i'm hard pressed between the two simply because i auditioned the m1s using balanced and loved it...but the lack of connectivity options is a real bummer iif it had bluetooth at the very least it would have been a done deal...still considering tho...i placed an order for the N3 but since it's awaiting stock i can change it to the M1S from the same shop but dunno cause if i get the aune then i need to get balanced cables for my e40s...that again brings up the cost...i dunno what the saber glare is since my current dap is a an apple ipod 4th gen...

Hey, hey, hey...my apology for not noticing that you are also from Malaysia....well I live in Selangor... and I used to often pay my visit to Stars Picker Store at Surian station if you go by MRT.... which state are you from?

Jul 1, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #1,518 of 1,991
Hey, hey, hey...my apology for not noticing that you are also from Malaysia....well I live in Selangor... and I used to often pay my visit to Stars Picker Store at Surian station if you go by MRT.... which state are you from?
nice man same..Pj in the house... yea h i got my N# from them was considering swapping since they're curently awaiting stock...is the m1s worth giving up on the extras ie bluetooth etc etc? i may need to find balanced calbes for my e40s i guess

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #1,520 of 1,991
nice man same..Pj in the house... yea h i got my N# from them was considering swapping since they're curently awaiting stock...is the m1s worth giving up on the extras ie bluetooth etc etc? i may need to find balanced calbes for my e40s i guess

Nice, but erm Aune M1s is a purist DAP so don't expect any bluetooth or wifi connectivity to be available.

are you using balanced out? if so what earphones or iems are you using bro?

My apology that I don't have an iem with balance jack...... well as for my earphone collection, kindly refer my profile page as I will update it as soon as I have received a new earphone. By the way, when are you visiting Stars Picker store, maybe we can have a meet up for fun?

Jul 1, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #1,521 of 1,991
Well I had tested both of them by using Audio Technica ATH-M40x in the past...... these are my opinion

Aune M1s (Currently own)
-Highs, as we had mentioned tons of times in this thread Aune M1s has "Saber Glare" sound which means bright and sometimes a little harsh.......
-Mids is not emphasised and not very coloured.
-Lows extends quite a bit and is not as boomy.
-Imaging is where this device shines since it sound relatively "clear".
-Sound stage......... to be tested.

Cayin N3 (Had it exchanged over and over again due to internal circuit error and eventually gave up on it but I had a good time using it before it failed)
-Highs, nothing special..... in fact I found it to be a little rounded off on some occasion.
-Mids sounds warmer and you will feel more like you are in your home sweet home but don't get me wrong, it does not sound as warm as tube amps.
-Lows pretty airy..... I think that is all....
-Imaging is not as great as Aune M1s but better than Sony NWZ-A15.
-Sound stage......... forgive me......

I hope that this will help you a little...... also those description are based on my memory that I recalled so there might be a little error due to Cayin had released quite a few firmware upgrades.

With all do respect I don't hear any "Sabre glare" in the M1s and have never done so in any Sabre device so ymmw. In my experience it's a myth, maybe from some early chip or maybe never, things have a tendency to be taken as truth in this hobby just because some people keep repeating them.

The only one I can remember bringing it up in this thread is you......

Jul 1, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #1,522 of 1,991
Not everyone agree with the "glare" on the treble of this DAP as we have different tolerances or perception of sound. For me, I don't find the highs to be that bright or harsh at all. Maybe it has to do with the gears that you used, @Ver JJ.

Jul 1, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #1,523 of 1,991
Not everyone agree with the "glare" on the treble of this DAP as we have different tolerances or perception of sound. For me, I don't find the highs to be that bright or harsh at all. Maybe it has to do with the gears that you used, @Ver JJ.

This mirrors my experience with it as well.

Jul 1, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #1,527 of 1,991
Yo, what gain setting are M1s club members using for iems? From a technical standpoint you should be using the lowest gain possible with the pot high as desired.
Screenshot_2017-06-23-12-19-07.png

Jul 1, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #1,528 of 1,991
With all do respect I don't hear any "Sabre glare" in the M1s and have never done so in any Sabre device so ymmw. In my experience it's a myth, maybe from some early chip or maybe never, things have a tendency to be taken as truth in this hobby just because some people keep repeating them.

The only one I can remember bringing it up in this thread is you......
so please tell because i'm new to this hobby and i would like to know if the M1s is worth ditching the extras as opposed to the Cayin n3? also i noticed that most people who receommend this DAP have a whole load of DAPs that they own in their page so is this a complimentary DAP or can it stand alone for a good 5 years? i must say when i demo'ed it against he fiio x5 iii i couldn't really tell the difference...to me at least...

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #1,530 of 1,991
Nice, but erm Aune M1s is a purist DAP so don't expect any bluetooth or wifi connectivity to be available.

My apology that I don't have an iem with balance jack...... well as for my earphone collection, kindly refer my profile page as I will update it as soon as I have received a new earphone. By the way, when are you visiting Stars Picker store, maybe we can have a meet up for fun?
yeah can do atm i'm not sure when i'll be heading down that way but will pm when i do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back