Aune M1P
Nov 11, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #168 of 498
Hey friends,

I own the M1P for two days now. The best my music has ever sounded. I had A&K, Hiby and Cayin DAPs and a bunch of dongle DACs but nothing comes close.

However I experience a strange bug. Whenever I start the DAP and the music starts in shuffle mode (I mostly listen to my library in shuffle mode) the second song that is playing is always the same one.
Is there somebody who could help?

Thank you

Nov 11, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #169 of 498
i go back between this and the ibasso 170. things annoy me about the aune like limited favourite tracks, limited track name length etc. but then i love the simplicity of the player. speed of operation, retro look and feel.

and of course the sound is very good.

need to pick one to keep and one to sell.

Nov 11, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #170 of 498
On (Aune M1p) DAC filter

@DaveStarWalker @Scuba Devils

So, for context, I've researched DAC filters since a while now — purely as a hobbyist.

Researching the M1p, I stumbled upon DaveStarWalker's post re: filters which got me back into it.

In a nutshell, lots of DAC have filters and it seems that it's up to the integrator to decide whether to make them visible for the end user or not. This applies equally to desktop, portable as well as dongles.

On page 57 of the M1p's DAC datasheet (which is an ES9038Q2M), you'll see the different PCM filter's impulse response. This is where things get tricky for me — I struggle to find a layman's interpretation of the filters' effects.

The best I have found so far is here (you'll find similar graphs from AKM as well as other reproductions online) as well as a fairly comprehensible description of their effects here which I lightly adapted below. Note that they apply to ESS DACs but shouldn't be a far cry from other manufacturers.

Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter
This filter ensures a high-frequency response, but there is a lot of ringing that does not exist in the original sound source. The phase is in the correct position on the time axis, but pre-ringing occurs. However, the sound is powerful.
Slow Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter
Starting from around 18kHz, it attenuates gently, operating similarly to human hearing characteristics. The ringing is small. The sound may be a bit dry, but it reproduces the sound present in the original source. It may sound sharp.
Adodizing, Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter (as per the ES9038Q2M's datasheet, it should be the DAC's default filter)
Similar to Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter, but the ringing occurs for a shorter time, and the high-frequency band attenuates more naturally. It creates a powerful yet slightly smooth/natural sound.
Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter
It ensures a high-frequency response and suppresses pre-ringing. Rich post-ringing creates a good sense of reverberation and a full sound.
Slow Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter
Starting from around 18kHz, it attenuates gently, operating similarly to human hearing characteristics, and perfectly removes high-frequency sounds. It suppresses pre-ringing and produces less post-ringing. It delivers a sound close to the original, but compared to Slow Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter, it has a relatively more reverberation, creating a smoother sound.
Hybrid Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter
Similar to Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter, it doesn’t completely suppress pre-ringing. Instead, the phase position is slightly closer to its original position on the time axis. In most cases, it’s not easy to distinguish between Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter and this one, but there are golden ear listeners who notice the awkwardness. However, there are also golden ear listeners who think it sounds more natural.
Brickwall Filter
Similar to Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter, but with a higher cut-off frequency and more ringing. It is very difficult to distinguish the sound from Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter.

1.png
Source: taken and text slightly adapted from https://community.roseaudio.kr/t/dac-filters-in-rose-streamers/5111
I hope this was interesting — and for those in the know, please let me know if anything needs to be corrected.
thanks for this I too struggle with these.

still I have no idea which one to select haha

Nov 12, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #174 of 498
thanks for this I too struggle with these.

still I have no idea which one to select haha
I personally settled for Adodizing, Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter the DAC's default filter as per ESS's data sheet though I think the M1p has another default filter.

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #175 of 498
I personally settled for Adodizing, Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter the DAC's default filter as per ESS's data sheet though I think the M1p has another default filter.
ok thanks. i have it on HF (from your description):

i seems ok to me but cant really tell the difference tbh

Hybrid Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter
Similar to Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter, it doesn’t completely suppress pre-ringing. Instead, the phase position is slightly closer to its original position on the time axis. In most cases, it’s not easy to distinguish between Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter and this one, but there are golden ear listeners who notice the awkwardness. However, there are also golden ear listeners who think it sounds more natural

Nov 13, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #176 of 498
Hey friends,

I own the M1P for two days now. The best my music has ever sounded. I had A&K, Hiby and Cayin DAPs and a bunch of dongle DACs but nothing comes close.

However I experience a strange bug. Whenever I start the DAP and the music starts in shuffle mode (I mostly listen to my library in shuffle mode) the second song that is playing is always the same one.
Is there somebody who could help?

Thank you
@Blanka79 can confirm im experiencing the same behaviour. maybe its a bug @AuneAudio ?

Nov 20, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #177 of 498
aune For music we design. Stay updated on aune at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/auneaudioofficial https://twitter.com/auneaudio https://www.instagram.com/auneaudio http://www.auneaudio.com sales@auneaudio.com
Nov 20, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #179 of 498
Same.

For years, the M1s was my preferred DAC (over sp1000, 2000, N8 II, R8, etc., to name a few and about the most expensive ones). Technically and musically wise. Pure silence. Ultra black background. No coloration, super transparent. Natural in a single word.

It became my second set from now on.

Because the first one is built with the M1p and my endgame items and cable and tips... 👍

See my signature.

Problems solved : only musics. 🕺🎉🎵💃🎶

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back