Aune M1P
Oct 29, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #151 of 465
Hi. I just received a m1p a couple of days ago, and I'm quite delighted by the simplicity and quality of its sound.
I'm however concerned, as I could not get it connected with Bluetooth (not even identified) by the different sources I was considering to feed it (including Samsung S20FE, S21FE, tab A8 and iphone SE 2020). Cayin N8ii is identified by the m1p (only as a potential receiver - not as a source), but no music could be shared. The previous owner, which has a recent iphone, had no such issues .
I already had the same concern when doing a test 2 months ago with a different m1p which I had the opportunity to test for a few minutes.
I'm definitely enjoying its sound... but as streaming is my main source, I require some functional BT.
Does anybody here have any idea / feedback on what could be the root of this BT non-connexion / how to fix it ?
Thanks in anticipation
how are you trying to connect it? ive had no such issues. are you trying to connect it as source or receiver? see the options in the settings. also i think if you hold the down button on the circle it goes into Bluetooth

Oct 29, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #153 of 465
20231026_172612.jpg

Oct 29, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #154 of 465
I was trying to connect mine recently to a TWS but couldn’t get it to work either.

Also, I discovered when pushing down the button on the wheel to activate Bluetooth, that it also pushed the volume up to around 70, a good 40 clicks above my usual listening level and potentially enough to certainly hurt if not damage my ears - thankfully I noticed the volume without the IEMs in my ears. I must check the settings again to see if this can be changed, a default volume for Bluetooth?

Oct 29, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #155 of 465
I was trying to connect mine recently to a TWS but couldn’t get it to work either.

Also, I discovered when pushing down the button on the wheel to activate Bluetooth, that it also pushed the volume up to around 70, a good 40 clicks above my usual listening level and potentially enough to certainly hurt if not damage my ears - thankfully I noticed the volume without the IEMs in my ears. I must check the settings again to see if this can be changed, a default volume for Bluetooth?
I go to 'settings/bluetooth'. Bluetooth is indicated as 'on'. Then, i switch 'Bluetooth Mode' to Sink (tried also with 'Source', which is the mode under which N8ii was detected). Then, i click on the center button on 'Bluetooth scan', and nothing but N8ii appears.
if the m1p is the reciever then put it on sink and then you need to connect it it using your other device. search for it on your iphone etc and connect that way.

youre doing it the wrong way round

Oct 29, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #156 of 465
if the m1p is the reciever then put it on sink and then you need to connect it it using your other device. search for it on your iphone etc and connect that way.

youre doing it the wrong way round
ive just tested. go to settings > bluetooth, turn on bluetooth and set to sink

IMG_20231029_133752.jpg

do not go to bluetooth scan

then pick your other device up and pair a new device to scan for it (NOTE at this point i had to flick bluetooth off and on again on the m1p for it to show up in the list while searching)
Screenshot_20231029-134052~3.png

click on the aune M1P option and pair.
Screenshot_20231029-134924~2.png

once paired go back to your m1p and hold the down button down until BT receiver appears. start streaming music to it.
IMG_20231029_134130.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #157 of 465
ive just tested. go to settings > bluetooth, turn on bluetooth and set to sink

do not go to bluetooth scan

then pick your other device up and pair a new device to scan for it (NOTE at this point i had to flick bluetooth off and on again on the m1p for it to show up in the list while searching)

click on the aune M1P option and pair.

once paired go back to your m1p and hold the down button down until BT receiver appears. start streaming music to it.

Many thanks @cliffjnr. That worked fine, exactly as you depicted !
Thanks again for the detailed explanations. Let's go to enjoy my 'usual' Qobuz playlist with M1P !

Nov 3, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #158 of 465
On (Aune M1p) DAC filter

@DaveStarWalker @Scuba Devils

So, for context, I've researched DAC filters since a while now — purely as a hobbyist.

Researching the M1p, I stumbled upon DaveStarWalker's post re: filters which got me back into it.

In a nutshell, lots of DAC have filters and it seems that it's up to the integrator to decide whether to make them visible for the end user or not. This applies equally to desktop, portable as well as dongles.

On page 57 of the M1p's DAC datasheet (which is an ES9038Q2M), you'll see the different PCM filter's impulse response. This is where things get tricky for me — I struggle to find a layman's interpretation of the filters' effects.

The best I have found so far is here (you'll find similar graphs from AKM as well as other reproductions online) as well as a fairly comprehensible description of their effects here which I lightly adapted below. Note that they apply to ESS DACs but shouldn't be a far cry from other manufacturers.

Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter
This filter ensures a high-frequency response, but there is a lot of ringing that does not exist in the original sound source. The phase is in the correct position on the time axis, but pre-ringing occurs. However, the sound is powerful.
Slow Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter
Starting from around 18kHz, it attenuates gently, operating similarly to human hearing characteristics. The ringing is small. The sound may be a bit dry, but it reproduces the sound present in the original source. It may sound sharp.
Adodizing, Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter (as per the ES9038Q2M's datasheet, it should be the DAC's default filter)
Similar to Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter, but the ringing occurs for a shorter time, and the high-frequency band attenuates more naturally. It creates a powerful yet slightly smooth/natural sound.
Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter
It ensures a high-frequency response and suppresses pre-ringing. Rich post-ringing creates a good sense of reverberation and a full sound.
Slow Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter
Starting from around 18kHz, it attenuates gently, operating similarly to human hearing characteristics, and perfectly removes high-frequency sounds. It suppresses pre-ringing and produces less post-ringing. It delivers a sound close to the original, but compared to Slow Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter, it has a relatively more reverberation, creating a smoother sound.
Hybrid Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter
Similar to Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter, it doesn’t completely suppress pre-ringing. Instead, the phase position is slightly closer to its original position on the time axis. In most cases, it’s not easy to distinguish between Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter and this one, but there are golden ear listeners who notice the awkwardness. However, there are also golden ear listeners who think it sounds more natural.
Brickwall Filter
Similar to Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter, but with a higher cut-off frequency and more ringing. It is very difficult to distinguish the sound from Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter.

1.png
Source: taken and text slightly adapted from https://community.roseaudio.kr/t/dac-filters-in-rose-streamers/5111
I hope this was interesting — and for those in the know, please let me know if anything needs to be corrected.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #159 of 465
With my Ringo's, and M1p, my preferred filter is the fast roll off : maximal transparency, speed, linearity. Best pairing.

With my Fh9's, and M1s, this is the minimum phase filter : less transparent but more analogue like. Best pairing.

Only one rule : listening carefully, then decide. 😉

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #160 of 465
@Scuba Devils How would you rate your M1p compared to your other DAPs now that you solved the file sorting issues?

I'm considering it but I'm torn as I have had only good experiences with ESS DACs yet the overwhelming sound description of the M1p seems to veer towards the neutral/cold/analytical.

As someone whom didn't like the Lotoo PAW 6000 as I found it to be way too transparent for me, would you advise against the M1p?

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #161 of 465
@Scuba Devils How would you rate your M1p compared to your other DAPs now that you solved the file sorting issues?

I'm considering it but I'm torn as I have had only good experiences with ESS DACs yet the overwhelming sound description of the M1p seems to veer towards the neutral/cold/analytical.

As someone whom didn't like the Lotoo PAW 6000 as I found it to be way too transparent for me, would you advise against the M1p?

Yes I definitely think you’ll find it too transparent - I sold my P6K a few months ago but from memory I’d say that was a touch warmer even vs M1p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back