Auditioned Sennheiser HD-26 PRO
Sep 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #46 of 141
Sounds the same as the decades-old HD25?
So are you saying the new HD25 Aluminium sounds better than the HD26?

I have the aluminiums, they have a very similar sound signature to the HD 25-1 II except with tighter, more sophisticated bass and better sub-bass extension because of the aluminium cup (to me that is).

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #47 of 141
I have an amperior and an HD25-13, and I swapped the cups around (so the amperior drivers in plastic, and the HD25-13 drivers in aluminum) and strangely thought they sounded better that way. Granted, the cup damping is different as well, so it's more than just the cup materials at play.

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #48 of 141
  I have an amperior and an HD25-13, and I swapped the cups around (so the amperior drivers in plastic, and the HD25-13 drivers in aluminum) and strangely thought they sounded better that way. Granted, the cup damping is different as well, so it's more than just the cup materials at play.

Both sounded better? Wasn`t the Amperior more sloppy in the plastic cups?

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #49 of 141
Not really. I thought the stock amperior was actually a bit edgy in the treble, and the plastic cup with the acoustic foam trimmed that down a little bit. Conversely, the HD25-13 felt a bit stuffy, but it seemed cleaner in the amperior cup.

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #50 of 141
  Not really. I thought the stock amperior was actually a bit edgy in the treble, and the plastic cup with the acoustic foam trimmed that down a little bit. Conversely, the HD25-13 felt a bit stuffy, but it seemed cleaner in the amperior cup.

Very good. You kept the damping material in the aluminium cup? Also what amp are you using with the -13 ?

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #51 of 141
Yeah, I left the stock damping in the aluminum cup. I tried a couple different things but they didn't sound right or accentuated the treble which I didn't like. The aluminum cup has much less "air" in it than the plastic cups as it has a foam insert which fits perfectly into the machined aluminum, plus the stock circle of white felt on top. The plastic cups actually have six chambers inside with nothing inside them. I usually stick a piece of acoustic foam in each of them, them swap out the white felt for a fuzzy velour or leave it out entirely.

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #52 of 141
  Yeah, I left the stock damping in the aluminum cup. I tried a couple different things but they didn't sound right or accentuated the treble which I didn't like. The aluminum cup has much less "air" in it than the plastic cups as it has a foam insert which fits perfectly into the machined aluminum, plus the stock circle of white felt on top. The plastic cups actually have six chambers inside with nothing inside them. I usually stick a piece of acoustic foam in each of them, them swap out the white felt for a fuzzy velour or leave it out entirely.

Interesting. Ya kept the stock cable on that HD25-13?

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #53 of 141
I have a silver cable on mine actually, not because I necessarily wanted the silver... just that I don't have any other cables available (aside from the stock Amperior one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back