Auditioned HD650 and LCD-2
May 23, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
Is there any other cheaper alternative to the LCD's?

From what I've heard HD-400 and MadDog modded T50RP. I haven't had time to compare the HE-400 with LCD-2 (but I liked the HD650 slightly more when compared to the Sennheisers, the new rev of HE-400 was a bit too bright for my taste), and I haven't listened to the T50RP. A cheaper alternative is also HE-500 which should sound very similar with a cheaper pricetag.

Edit: I noticed you already had the Hifiman and the T50RP, guess you liked the LCD-2 more than them?

May 23, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #17 of 22
From what I've heard HD-400 and MadDog modded T50RP. I haven't had time to compare the HE-400 with LCD-2 (but I liked the HD650 slightly more when compared to the Sennheisers, the new rev of HE-400 was a bit too bright for my taste), and I haven't listened to the T50RP. A cheaper alternative is also HE-500 which should sound very similar with a cheaper pricetag.

Edit: I noticed you already had the Hifiman and the T50RP, guess you liked the LCD-2 more than them?

Yes I did. I found the HE 500's to be boring and the he 400s treble spike was unbearable. The Mad Dogs come the closest to sounding like the LCD's but they sound too congested.

May 23, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:
Take everything you love about the HD650 and refine it. Pull back on that mid-bass colouration, and extend the sub-bass. Polish the upper mid/low treble grain and open up the upper registers. Add a taut and snappy response, and a precise and expansive soundstage. Maintain that level of musical involvement. That's the HD800.

Curious, why did you decide to sell your HD800?

May 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #19 of 22
Hi All, new here and have been lurking for many months on the LCD 2 related threads and this particular one is very interesting.  

I have the HE-500 and find them to be exemplary on it's lush midrange and decent upper end.  With so many positive reviews on the SQ of the LCD 2.2's, it has gotten to the point where I want to make a move selling the 500 to get the LCD.  I am thinking that these two cans is similar with the LCD besting the 500 on subbass/bass region and being slightly veiled as compared to the 500.  Soundstaging wise, would you say the 500 has an edge?  I don't have any other cans with the exception of an old pair of Senn HD580 to compare the 500's to but it would have been an unfair comparison anyway.

For those of you who have the 500, it is worth shelling out that extra $300 for a "lateral" move toward the LCD's?  Does the positive SQ attributes combined with the negative (ie shelved high end) of the LCD 2.2 justify spending an additional $ compared to the HE-500?  

Thanks in advance, All.

May 23, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #20 of 22
After listening much more to these two headphones, I still like the HD650 better for its overall sound signature. There is just something that I don't like about the LCD-2.2. I think there is a little spike around the 1 kHz range that I don't like. It is something in the upper midrange/lower treble that sort of hurts my ears on certain recordings and sounds unnatural to me.

They are for sale by the way! More than $100 off the new retail prices Audeze has for the Rosewood version and they were just manufactured in March.

May 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:
Hi All, new here and have been lurking for many months on the LCD 2 related threads and this particular one is very interesting.  

I have the HE-500 and find them to be exemplary on it's lush midrange and decent upper end.  With so many positive reviews on the SQ of the LCD 2.2's, it has gotten to the point where I want to make a move selling the 500 to get the LCD.  I am thinking that these two cans is similar with the LCD besting the 500 on subbass/bass region and being slightly veiled as compared to the 500.  Soundstaging wise, would you say the 500 has an edge?  I don't have any other cans with the exception of an old pair of Senn HD580 to compare the 500's to but it would have been an unfair comparison anyway.

For those of you who have the 500, it is worth shelling out that extra $300 for a "lateral" move toward the LCD's?  Does the positive SQ attributes combined with the negative (ie shelved high end) of the LCD 2.2 justify spending an additional $ compared to the HE-500?  

Thanks in advance, All.

I liked the LCD-2 better, even if the HE-500 is a more balanced option.  It is a personal preference.  You should try to get both at the same time, compare, and then pick the one you like best.  Can be very hard to make a choice based on memory or other people's opinions.

Also, since you are trying to find headphones that sound good to you, try not to think of different sound signatures as good or bad (like a slight treble roll-off), as you could miss out on some great sounding gear.  I personally like the soft treble of the LCD-2 and HD650 headphones.  I ended up with just the HD800 simply because I listen to mostly classical and acoustic music now and it is a better headphone for those in my listening experience.

May 23, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #22 of 22
Thanks for the response and I appreciate your suggestion.  I agree in comparing cans at the same time.  With mostly accoustic guitar music and vocals being the majority of what I listen to, I may have to venture into the HD800 also but it is a little out of my budget at this moment since buying the HE-500 not too long ago.  

They are also many online stores that one can purchase Audeze's but has anyone tried buying direct from Audeze? Their return policy? And how would one know whether the can they bought has been used and simply re-packaged to sell like new (I know it's unethical but it happens).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back