Audition of New Ultimate Ears Triple.fi-10 Pro
Mar 29, 2007 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
One of the few benefits of traveling around the country as I have been doing for the past couple of years is that once in a while I have an opportunity to visit audio stores and occasionally audio vendors facilities. This week I was lucky enough to visit Ultimate Ears in California and audition their consumer product line. I was greeted by Chuck Reynolds the Director of Sales and following a tour of their custom products facility I settled in to listen to the Super.fi products. I listened to songs that I am familiar with from Chuck's ipod. I was anxious to listen to the new triple.fi-10 but I am glad I started with the Super.fi-3 studio. BTW I have been traveling with the Etymotics ER-4S for a number of years which I use as a reference point.

The Super.fi-3 is a single driver unit and it is a real step up from any of the standard ear buds that come with any portable device. This would be a great entry unit for most users. The mid range was very clear and well defined. The highs and lows were there but they were not as dynamic as my Etys or their other products. As an entry into higher end listening these would be a great start.

Next I listened to the Super.fi-5 Pro (There is also a Super.fi-5 EB extended Bass that I did not listen to, perhaps another time). The Super.fi-5 Pro is a dual driver unit and a considerable step up in the listening experience. The sound is full and rich and there is a definite improvement on the response to the highs and lows. The perceived sound stage is also dramatically increased over what I heard with the -3's. As I was listening I thought to myself that I could be happy with these. Excellent isolation and great sound; what else could I ask for? Well my question was quickly answered when Chuck had me try the new Triple.fi-10 Pro.

The new Triple.fi-10 Pro adds another driver for a total of 3. It took only a moment for me to hear the differences from the -5 that I had just been listening to. My first impression from the first song on was that it seemed like they had taken the sound of the 5's and expanded it. The sound stage also seemed wider. In my opinion these are the best sounding earphones I have heard. They surpass my Etys in every category. The bass is full and the songs I listened to compared favorably to my amped Sennheiser 600's. In the short time I had to listen to these I was truly impressed. After hearing the Triple.fi-10 Pro's I changed my opinion a bit. I would be satisfied with the Super.fi-5's but having heard the new -10's there would be that gnawing desire to upgrade eating away at me. Here is a link to the Triple.fi-10 Pro:

http://www.ultimateears.com/superfi/...ueMetallic.htm

When I told my wife about my visit I heard her normal refrain: "So what is this going to cost" I told her I was just thinking and had not decided yet. I think though that the UE-10's may be in my future; maybe we will discuss it this weekend when I go home.

Mar 29, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new Triple.fi-10 Pro adds another driver for a total of 3. It took only a moment for me to hear the differences from the -5 that I had just been listening to. My first impression from the first song on was that it seemed like they had taken the sound of the 5's and expanded it. The sound stage also seemed wider. In my opinion these are the best sounding earphones I have heard. They surpass my Etys in every category. The bass is full and the songs I listened to compared favorably to my amped Sennheiser 600's. In the short time I had to listen to these I was truly impressed. After hearing the Triple.fi-10 Pro's I changed my opinion a bit. I would be satisfied with the Super.fi-5's but having heard the new -10's there would be that gnawing desire to upgrade eating away at me. Here is a link to the Triple.fi-10 Pro:

http://www.ultimateears.com/superfi/...ueMetallic.htm

When I told my wife about my visit I heard her normal refrain: "So what is this going to cost" I told her I was just thinking and had not decided yet. I think though that the UE-10's may be in my future; maybe we will discuss it this weekend when I go home.

What is interesting to me about the triple-fis is that they do not loose their fullness (really size of the image) and imaging even at fairly low volume levels. With most other headphones some to a lesser degree than others, the lower the volume the smaller the imaging gets along with collapsing of the soundstage depending on how low you go. I like them for their fullness and the ability to maintain it, where to me, it makes them sound closer to full sized headphones in that regard.

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 63
Quote:

They surpass my Etys in every category.

Careful, that's fightin' talk around here...
etysmile.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Careful, that's fightin' talk around here...
etysmile.gif

I have been an Ety user for years so it does take a good sound to change my mind.

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been an Ety user for years so it does take a good sound to change my mind.

I do want customs... really, I do...
but the Tri.Fi (yes, yes, we all know....yadda yadda yadda PJ) are the best universal IEMs around in my opinion, and yes, I have heard the E500 and IMO they blow em away. The highs are so much richer and smoother and don't roll off.... The bass is amazing, maybe not as much as the SF5pro when amped with a good LOD, but in some ways, maybe even more so. I won't even listen to my tri.fi without an amp and a good LOD. But for $399, if you've got the cash, the best IEM out there, again, why do I have to say IMO, but they are, bar none.
The best part about them is their transparency. They WILL reveal every subtle nuance as well as every BENEFIT and FLAW in your overall system. Every change you make, whether it be cable or amp or power supply: you will hear with your Tri.Fis... Midrange is much improved over the SF5pro which I loved and lived with for a long time, but since the Tri.Fi I just can't go back. The SF5pro have that upfront in your head type Grado feel, but the Tri.Fi are much more laid back with a much wider soundstage. By far, their best trait is the upper end (treble)... so smooth, smoother than many a pair of good fullsize cans.
For those of you who care that you look like a smurf while wearing them, shame on you, it is about sound quality. Admittedly, Westone and Shure are more comfortable universal IEMs. But when it comes to sound quality the tri.fi are second to none, probably only surpassed by the UE-10, which may or may not have as much bass.
Jeez, it feels like I've made this same exact post in several threads over the past few days.
But unlike any other IEM I have ever listened to, not only will they take time to get used to (if you are coming from the SF5pro, or any other equally-classed IEM) but they DO have a burn-in factor (which several people at UE have confirmed and agree with). It really takes about 10 - 25 hours for the Triple.Fi to get to their optimal sound, and I'm not sure why, but they do. For the first 10 hours, they sound very veiled, but after that, they open up some, and by the 25 - 40 hour mark, they are at their best.
Just make sure to pair them with a decent amp and cable. If you just plug them into your iPod, you have no idea the potential of these bad boys. The better the equipment you add to your rig, the better they will sound, and they won't conceal anything. It's all there in black and white, and every shade of grey in between.
UE's have a slightly recessed midrange (moreso on the SF5pro than the tri.fi) but I like my sound that way. I don't want the vocals to overpower the music. If you are looking for an IEM that is most prominent in the midrange, than Ultimate Ears products may not be for you.
Anyway, if you get them, pair them up with a good portable amp (power supply really helps, i.e. GV6m + Elpac 24V, which makes it sound like a desktop amp) and a good copper or silver cable. You will be very pleased.
(Next time I may purchase a good copper cable, because the Qables silvercab is made SO well, it is almost TOO revealing and a little harsh at times, but then again it may just need more break in time).
Enjoy your purchases!

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 63
Thanks for the impressions John.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 63
As far as the smurph look or the way any other pertruding IEM's look, I don't see what the big deal is? To me, a bluetooth phone earpiece looks far more ridiculous than a pair of IEM's.

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 63
Thanks for the review. I'm also somewhat of an Ety fanatic. The ER-4S is able to surpass even my custom Sensaphonics in some regards, particularly in the upper midrange clarity and treble extension department. I'm sort of at a crossroad trying to decide if my next IEM will be the UE-10 Pro or a universal model like the E500, Westone 3, or the Triple.fi. Most of the reviews I've read of the E500 lead me to believe that they'll leave me wanting more. Reviews like this one make me think I might be happy just saving myself several hundred dollars and getting the Triple.fi, instead of the UE-10 Pro.

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE's have a slightly recessed midrange (moreso on the SF5pro than the tri.fi) but I like my sound that way. I don't want the vocals to overpower the music. If you are looking for an IEM that is most prominent in the midrange, than Ultimate Ears products may not be for you.
Anyway, if you get them, pair them up with a good portable amp (power supply really helps, i.e. GV6m + Elpac 24V, which makes it sound like a desktop amp) and a good copper or silver cable. You will be very pleased.
(Next time I may purchase a good copper cable, because the Qables silvercab is made SO well, it is almost TOO revealing and a little harsh at times, but then again it may just need more break in time).
Enjoy your purchases!

Just want to point out that the UE-10 pro lacks nothing in the mids, but I would agree that the UE-5c has slightly recessed mids, and definitely agree that the sf5pro has recessed mids.

Also, fwiw, I have noticed no differences with various cables.

Mar 30, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 63
I just received mine today. Beautiful IEM's...

Sound: What the &%#*&!!........Where are the highs?? Compared to the reviews I would think I have a defective pair??

I tried every tip...with Ipod alone unamped and with a more powerful mini-system and everything seems there (big bass, nice soundstage and mids) but the highs seem completely veiled???

Reference point is E4 and ER-4p/s.

Out of box ER-4...hell, even E4 has much more detailed highs compared to this. I will let them burn in overnight but I am not impressed at the moment. And coming from Etys...it ain't no fit issue. I know how to insert them.

Stay tuned...I will report back.
frown.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #14 of 63
Do they have the same fit as the Super.fi 3. I bought a pair of Super.fi 3 to check out the fit hoping to upgrade to the Super.fi 5. No matter which tip I used, either straight in or with the F/S mod, they were unbearably painful after 20 minutes. The posts were just too big around and too long. They dug into the side of my ear canal. It's a shame because everything I read about the Super.fi 5 makes me think they're the best value in IEMs. My wife would have a fit if I spent the money on the triple.fi.

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to point out that the UE-10 pro lacks nothing in the mids, but I would agree that the UE-5c has slightly recessed mids, and definitely agree that the sf5pro has recessed mids.

Also, fwiw, I have noticed no differences with various cables.

Monkeyman,

At one point in time, I thought the whole cable thing is nonsense, but truthfully it isn't. I went from a little simple cardas cable LOD to a Qables Silvercab and it revealed a whole other layer of spatial imaging, treble detail (that is almost sometimes too harsh, but that is taming itself at it is "burning-in", which is a term I don't like to use since there is no way to prove or disprove it. But FWIW, I can most certainly hear the difference in a good cable vs. a decent cable, and it's quite significant. To the lamen, they may not be able to hear it. But some of us are such "Audiophile" purists, that even a 1% or 2% improvement sounds like a huge step up on the head/high-fidelity ladder.
And I truly wish it was just placebo, because I say why not change the cables leading from the amp to the headphones? Why does the iPod to the amp get the only high end treatment? Perhaps it's because it's a lower powered signal and needs better conductivity... I don't know.
But I have A/B'd those cables so many times, and every time I do, it is the same result. The Silvercab is just a better and more spatial sounding, richer cable. Kudos to Hans for making such a wonderfully (and relatively cost effective product when compared to other high-end cables). He is introducing a GoldCab line soon, which should sound incredible.
I'm surprised you don't hear differences in cables. Maybe you already have really good LODs, but if you compare one with a cheaper one, you should be able to tell the difference.
I think my next investment will be the Headroom Desktop Amp with the onboard DAC... as far as their pricey power supply, I don't know about that.
This hobby is just freakin endless, it never stops... you just want more and more and better and better.
I know however that if I could replace the DAC in my iPod with a Burr Brown, I would be more than happy and probably be done with the upgraditis for some time.
If anyone, I'd like you to do a comparison of the Triple.Fi to the UE-10 and see what you think.... if it's worth the extra $500 for the custom...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back