Audition of New Ultimate Ears Triple.fi-10 Pro
Apr 4, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #46 of 63
The superior soundstage and imaging is worth the price of these alone. This morning when I was listening to "Half Life of Absolution" from Pat Metheny Groups live "The Road To You" cd there is slow pulsating interlude of soloing with some subtle high hats in the far right channel. Not only do you here the high hats in the far right channel but a slight reverberation back over to the left channel that just gives it a huge and spacious sound.

I've heard this song 100 times on IEM's but have never noticed that trait. I think it is THIS feature that makes these IEM's take some getting use to. IEM's that have a crisp and forward in your face kind of sound can not do what I describe above. But it's still a personal preference thing. I just love a big and spacious sound with as much detail and clarity that can be expected (with that type of sound). It's a real fine line and balance between the two. I think the TFP's do it well.

Apr 4, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #47 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The superior soundstage and imaging is worth the price of these alone. This morning when I was listening to "Half Life of Absolution" from Pat Metheny Groups live "The Road To You" cd there is slow pulsating interlude of soloing with some subtle high hats in the far right channel. Not only do you here the high hats in the far right channel but a slight reverberation back over to the left channel that just gives it a huge and spacious sound.

I've heard this song 100 times on IEM's but have never noticed that trait. I think it is THIS feature that makes these IEM's take some getting use to. IEM's that have a crisp and forward in your face kind of sound can not do what I describe above. But it's still a personal preference thing. I just love a big and spacious sound with as much detail and clarity that can be expected (with that type of sound). It's a real fine line and balance between the two. I think the TFP's do it well.

I agree. I think the soundstage of most of the UE line is one of the most underappreciated features of these cans. They have the best soundstage of any iem I have heard.

Apr 4, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Pielet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree they have the best soundstage, but that soundstage doesnt seem to have much depth.

Interesting point. I think I agree, at least in regard to the UE-10 pro. The L-R imaging is very good, but a bit shallow. I think the depth is better in the dual-driver offerings, but I need to go back and listen. Maybe this has to do with the more forward presentation of the triples.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #51 of 63
They are awesome for all kinds of music. I am just stating a quality that I noticed. I'll always have something to say about any piece of audio gear. This is the only thing that I think could be improved for my type of listening. By no means does this say there is a problem with the Triples. like all equipment/systems, we know there is always room for improvement, something can always be improved upon (we hope!)

It ALWAYS a matter of personal preference!

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #52 of 63
Yea, I don't see how you can go wrong with any kind of music.

I also agree with what a previous poster/review said regarding the layers. Previous IEM's I've had seem to separate but compartmentalize the various instruments, like there was a blackness around each instrument. Not necessarily a bad thing...kind of like sitting in the center of the band in the studio. With the TFP's, you still hear all of the separation but it's all layered and fused together as like a whole orchestration. It's hard to desribe but when I read it in the post/review I could tell exactly what was meant. But again, this is a preference thing. Some may like it, some may not but there's no question it makes these IEM's sound like headphones.

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #53 of 63
I've recently gotten a pair of these also, burned in for around ~60 hrs now through regular listening and ~24h of pink noise.
I do think that they sound *alot* better than when they came right out of the box, or maybe my ears just adjusted to them.
Either way, when I first got them I was quite disappointed, but after playing it some I'm much happier with the way it sounds now.
(iHP-140 -> iBasso P1 -> TF10)

I mostly agree with what's said here, the instrument separation / soundstage is really nice on these, and the highs are crispy clear.
No complaints about the bass either, it's enough to make me bob my head sometimes on a bass heavy song, I was a little surprised that these small cans could produce such bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

IMO the fault (if it has any) lies with the mids, vocals are not as forward as I would like them to be, since the lows and highs are so prominent, the mids are much less in your face.
These things are great for songs with alot of instrumentals, they really shine there, the sound separation and how clear the highs are is definitely a strong part of the TF10.
They can sound very, very good as well on vocal orientated songs that only have a few background instruments, say piano music, or new age stuff.

Where they fall short is when instruments just somewhat drown out the vocals and turn the singer into a quasi background singer.
I'm exaggerating, but just to make my point clear.
I'm starting to wonder if I might've been happier with the E500's instead, since the midrange seem to be a strong point on those.
But because they are so crazy expensive around here, I'm not buying them. (no cc, so ebay is not really an option)
~600 Euro (nearly 800 USD
biggrin.gif
) is pretty much the standard price around here, for that price I could nearly get UE 10's, haha!
But I hope to upgrade the amp / IC in the near future, and see how things go from there.

The TF10's don't exactly have my kind of sound, but they still sound so good that I can forgive whatever flaws they have.

Apr 4, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #54 of 63
While the E500 midrange will be better, everything I have read tells me E500's will also be a little muddier and less detailed on the high end than TFP and I don't think I could deal with that.

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #55 of 63
The triple.fi is truly the most amazing headphone or earphone I have ever listened to, but the sound improves BIG-TIME with an amplifier. The sound of these earphones improve dramatically when using an amp(probably more than any other headphone/earphone). Im using the Ray Samuels SR-71 with my TF10's right now and they sound AMAZING!! You definitely need an amp if you want the most out of these. IMO the mids come right into place when using an amp.

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #56 of 63
Jeez...who has all of these IEM's? Two weeks ago I received #549/1000. These can't just be sitting on stockshelves can they? Just so few posts compared to E500. I thought these came out about the same time but I guess E500 was sooner and has saturated the market more. Actually...since E500 was first, the high-end buyers chose the one that was available and didn't want to wait (for TFP).

Anyway, I look SO FORWARD to listening sessions with these things. Everything is just so fricken perfect with these IMHO! I honestly have zero gripes with the sound of these. Initially I wanted more razor sharp detail but now I find the detail about perfect and so un-fatiguing. It's the whole package with these. Everything going together, so layered and smooth and the most 3-D sound I have ever heard from any other headphone/IEM.

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #57 of 63
Spyro, thats quite a turn around! You seemed to hate them at first!

I own #792/1000, but alas they broke (!) when I was swapping the cables over to do the UE ear mod thing (I find them more comfortable that way). The bottom of the left phone shot out when I tried to remove the cable and snapped the wires! I'm just waiting for UE to replace them.

Anyhoo, I notice you said they are laid back... Well, I find them slightly tiring compared to the E500s, BUT I have to say I don't use amplification and my sources are my computer and my Archos, so I don't have top-notch equipment.

I'd be interested to hear what amps people are using. I'm contemplating the tomahawk or the hornet (although the latter looks quite bulky!)

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBob1971 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spyro, thats quite a turn around! You seemed to hate them at first!

I own #792/1000, but alas they broke (!) when I was swapping the cables over to do the UE ear mod thing (I find them more comfortable that way). The bottom of the left phone shot out when I tried to remove the cable and snapped the wires! I'm just waiting for UE to replace them.

Anyhoo, I notice you said they are laid back... Well, I find them slightly tiring compared to the E500s, BUT I have to say I don't use amplification and my sources are my computer and my Archos, so I don't have top-notch equipment.

I'd be interested to hear what amps people are using. I'm contemplating the tomahawk or the hornet (although the latter looks quite bulky!)

Yes, no doubt. I guess I had to wean myself off the hyper-detail I was so used to with ER-6i, ER-4 and E4. Depending on the recording sometimes I crave a little more sparkle but I think everything else about these more than makes up for it.

Tiring?? What does that mean? Like fatiguing...too much detail? Or like boring? Not sure what you mean. It is the huge 3D soundstage that makes these sound so laid back (and spacious).

I am not using an external amp. I am using strictly with a 1st gen Nano and also with a higher amplified Sony boombox/mini system and the sound is nearly identical out of either.

Apr 14, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the E500 midrange will be better, everything I have read tells me E500's will also be a little muddier and less detailed on the high end than TFP and I don't think I could deal with that.

that is true, but but so ise the case with the e500s midrage which make the midrange in the tfp seem slightly muddy by comparison. When u factor everything they are both in the same level.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #60 of 63
I love all the people talking about burn in on IEMs. IT DOSENT EXIST! You would be much better off instead of wasting your time "burning in", listing to your phones learning their sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back