Audirvana Plus 2.0
Jan 25, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #46 of 81
   I was taken aback slightly about their lack of response on the expected release date of their remote control app.

The apple IR remote up/down arrows control A+ volume control in 0.5dB steps

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #47 of 81
FWIW, there is a 77-page thread about A+ here, and the developers seem to be more active:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/audirvana-2-0-a-21673/

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #48 of 81

The apple IR remote up/down arrows control A+ volume control in 0.5dB steps

Thanks for this, unfortunately it doesn't help my setup. My iMac sits on my desk and is linked to the DAC > Tube Amp > Integrated AMP > Speakers. I can control the volume of my Integ Amp with the remote but I need a way to switch between tracks on A+. I need a playlist and track skipping, forward, backwards, pause, play, etc.

It would also be really sweet to get the album artwork on the remote app so you see what album and track is playing and what's up next.

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #49 of 81
  FWIW, there is a 77-page thread about A+ here, and the developers seem to be more active:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/audirvana-2-0-a-21673/

Excellent. Thanks for sharing, I will go through that thread today.

Feb 3, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #50 of 81
Hey guys,

I've been using Audirvana PLus 2.0.9 for maybe a week or two now.  I have no problem with the UI, it does take a while to get used (as with any new app) but I think I am having some issues with SQ.  Especially after reading some of the posts here.

I tried registering at the Audrvana forum (twice) to try and get some help there, but for some reason mods havent accepted me.

So the problem regarding SQ.  I am AB'ing FLAC files using Audrivana and VLC.  When I play the files on VLC they are vibrant, lively and intense.  On the other hand, when I play the exact same file using Audirvana the sound seems a bit flat and distant.  I think a good way of explaining it the VLC playback I am right in between the music, it hits me right in the face (or ears), but with Audirvana it feels a bit distant.  It's as if I am a few rows further back, while VLC I am right up there. 

I am thinking maybe it has something to do with the settings..  have checked mine against the user manual and everything seems ok.

Any suggestions?  It just feels like my experience is different from everybody elses.  At least from what I have read.

EDIT: also I am having a hard time believing a free app sounds better than an audiophile player.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #51 of 81
  Hey guys,

I've been using Audirvana PLus 2.0.9 for maybe a week or two now.  I have no problem with the UI, it does take a while to get used (as with any new app) but I think I am having some issues with SQ.  Especially after reading some of the posts here.

I tried registering at the Audrvana forum (twice) to try and get some help there, but for some reason mods havent accepted me.

So the problem regarding SQ.  I am AB'ing FLAC files using Audrivana and VLC.  When I play the files on VLC they are vibrant, lively and intense.  On the other hand, when I play the exact same file using Audirvana the sound seems a bit flat and distant.  I think a good way of explaining it the VLC playback I am right in between the music, it hits me right in the face (or ears), but with Audirvana it feels a bit distant.  It's as if I am a few rows further back, while VLC I am right up there. 

I am thinking maybe it has something to do with the settings..  have checked mine against the user manual and everything seems ok.

Any suggestions?  It just feels like my experience is different from everybody elses.  At least from what I have read.

EDIT: also I am having a hard time believing a free app sounds better than an audiophile player.

Do you have any non-default settings in VLC? Did you volume-match the AB test? Are you using any filters in Audirvana? Are you using DAC hog mode in Audirvana?
There are many settings in both programs, any one of which might explain differences. We need more info.

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #52 of 81

Do you have any non-default settings in VLC? Did you volume-match the AB test? Are you using any filters in Audirvana? Are you using DAC hog mode in Audirvana?
There are many settings in both programs, any one of which might explain differences. We need more info.

Hey, Thanks for your reply.

I think the only plugin that might be affecting VLC would be Perian.  

Adurivana Settings

Audio System:
Apart from choosing my DAC default settings with INT mode 1

Audio filters
Sample rate conversion iZotope 64-bit SRC
Quality: Best
Steepness 150 dB
Filter max length 500,000 samples
Cutoff freq 1.00 Nyquist
Anti-aliasing 200
Pre-ringing 1
Forced upsampling None

Audio volume
DAC Only
Max Volume level 100% 0 dB

No audio units.

SysOptimizer
Everything selected on Extreme.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by DAC Hog mode.

And apart from hearing, how do I confirm if they are volume matched?  I am not changing anything apart from swtiching apps basically.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #53 of 81

Hey, Thanks for your reply.

I think the only plugin that might be affecting VLC would be Perian.  

Adurivana Settings

Audio System:
Apart from choosing my DAC default settings with INT mode 1

Audio filters
Sample rate conversion iZotope 64-bit SRC
Quality: Best
Steepness 150 dB
Filter max length 500,000 samples
Cutoff freq 1.00 Nyquist
Anti-aliasing 200
Pre-ringing 1
Forced upsampling None

Audio volume
DAC Only
Max Volume level 100% 0 dB

No audio units.

SysOptimizer
Everything selected on Extreme.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by DAC Hog mode.

And apart from hearing, how do I confirm if they are volume matched?  I am not changing anything apart from switching apps basically.

DAC hog mode is called exclusive mode in Audirvana. Make sure that is selected.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #55 of 81
  Yes, exclusive access, direct mode and integer mode all selected.

I can't think of any obvious reason, but there are many small things you could try. It would really fool the thread to go back and forth for all of them, and might still not amount to anything. Sorry.

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #56 of 81
I am not knocking audirvana as I do love it. BUT, is there another program of equal audio quality that offers a few more user friendly features like:

1. Recently Added Music
2. Visual artist browsing similar to iTunes --- Nothing again the "power-user" interface of audirvana. It works and it works very well. Just not my cup of tea

Those would be the main features I am looking for. But, not willing to trade down to lesser quality app. I rather stick with audirvana in that case.

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #57 of 81
  I am not knocking audirvana as I do love it. BUT, is there another program of equal audio quality that offers a few more user friendly features like:

1. Recently Added Music
2. Visual artist browsing similar to iTunes --- Nothing again the "power-user" interface of audirvana. It works and it works very well. Just not my cup of tea

Those would be the main features I am looking for. But, not willing to trade down to lesser quality app. I rather stick with audirvana in that case.

Audirvana also has a 'visual' browse mode

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #58 of 81

1. Recently Added Music

1. Recently Added Music

Audirvana also has a 'visual' browse mode

I am still waiting on their iOS remote app they have been developing since Aug last year. I emailed them about release date but no response 
frown.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #59 of 81
I have both Audirvana+ 1.5.1 and 2 (latest version) running on my NOS system. I must say the SQ change is really obvious. There is more detail as the most apparent change. I am comparing 1.5.1 with iTunes Integrated mode, and set as Integer Mode 1 playing RedBook at native 44.1 and using version 2 as standalone.

My Audio Note tubed DAC is R-2R so plays native at 44.1 and up to 96K.

I will post back here with more listening, but so far I like it. The Album View is close to iTunes standard so I am happy with that. I miss view by date added, but will accept that for the jump in SQ on offer.

I read some posts saying thee $39 is steep. I find that ridiculous. I have paid thousands for Graphics software, $39 is what I wold pay for an iPad app or a plug-in. Audirvana+ as an audiophile player and sat in a 10K+ system - come on guys get real. A hifi fuse would cost more....

I agree with folk here, the iPad app would be really cool, if and when it comes out. I know a few users who would buy the app if it was as easy to use as iTunes with Apple Remote.

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #60 of 81
Update. Version 2 is really great! The clarity is better, it sounds like I am closer to the source somehow. Dynamics and slam are lightning fast. Everything is faster. I think version 1.5.1 with iTunes is more laid back and slower which may suit some tastes and systems. But in my setup I like the pace and closeness of the sound I am getting right now. 

I will try and explain my observations
1. High to very high frequency detail is clearer and cleaner. It has no grain  - just more detail
2. Mids are more textured and again sound faster.
3. Bass is the same in level as 1.5.1 but has more texture and start / stop / slam energy. It is more energised if that makes sense.
4. Ambiance and low level information is separated more from the whole of the sound i.e. more complex passages sound cleaner and easier to follow.

The best way to describe the SQ lift from 1.5.1 IMO is it sounds 'hard wired' or 'plugged into the mains' there is just more going on.

I will post back on my take on the interface. So far I can live with it and drop iTunes DB. I use screen share on an iMac and my music is on a Mac Mini.

One other thing I noticed, is tracks load quicker, almost immediate whereas 1.5.1 had a slight delay.

I think version 2 as a standalone is playing the music and missing out pretty much ALL Apple system low level code i.e. no messing.

If Audirvana+ 2 was 100%, I would rate Audirvana+ 1.5.1 integrated with iTunes as 93% and iTunes as a standalone as 85%.

I play AIFFs extracted from CDs using XLD, and play only at 44.1 RedBook native. No oversampling or up sampling or filtering. I have Audirvana+ set as Mode 1 INT (Direct).
My USB to SPDIF is a full stack M2Tech EVO with custom PS. My DAC is an Audio Note 4.1 NOS R-2R with 5687 tubed output, no filter, no oversampling. It sounds wicked.

One thing Damien could add IMO is a few extra Mode options for the Codec. There is Mode 1 which he recommends, Mode 2 for a slight treble drop, but to get system synergy for all digital systems it might be nice to have a few more. I tried EQ a while back, and all the options killed the sound, slowed it down too much, flattened it. I personally don't need EQ but it can help balance a system as long as it is doing it as base code level, not a bolt on.

Hope this helps someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back