Audirvana Plus 2.0
Jan 8, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #31 of 81
  I am interested to hear from those that are using A+ on what tricks they are using to improve the experience with the player? I am currently waiting on the remote control app.

I'm not sure what kind of tricks you mean, but I use A+ in DAC hog mode, using the file's native Fs, and using the DAC's volume control rather than digital volume. I think that's all that's necessary for maximum sound quality. Other than that, there's not much to customize, apart from which columns to show, e.g. bit rate, file type, etc. I'm also on 2.0.8 now, btw.

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #32 of 81

I'm not sure what kind of tricks you mean, but I use A+ in DAC hog mode, using the file's native Fs, and using the DAC's volume control rather than digital volume. I think that's all that's necessary for maximum sound quality. Other than that, there's not much to customize, apart from which columns to show, e.g. bit rate, file type, etc. I'm also on 2.0.8 now, btw.

Thanks for sharing. That's great, so we both are running the same version of the software. My setup is A+ to Oppo DAC > Tube PreAmp > HP or AMP. There are a couple of things I found useful with A+ when compared to other players:

1) The auto sync feature into the A+ library. I setup a hi-res folder on my iMac with subfolders for each Genre - Classic Rock, Jazz, Rock, Blues, etc. I added these individual folders into the Library under preferences and when I drop albums into any of those folders they show up automatically in A+. This was a cool feature that speeds up adding music to the library.

2) The meta-data classification and album rating, albeit similar to iTunes, is useful in building dynamic playlists or smart playlists. The benefit is being able to run the playlist and be away from the Mac on the couch in front of the speakers.

What have you found to be the best features of A+.

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #33 of 81
  This was a cool feature that speeds up adding music to the library.

I also really liked this responsiveness. I wasn't expecting it! Delete an unwanted file from a music folder and A+ instantly removes it from the library too. Great!

One important improvement springs to mind: I am using Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 as my parametric EQ (as an Audio Unit). Unless your cans/speakers already have an ideal response, I can highly recommend this to anyone. It can make a HUGE difference. Pro-Q is a wonderful filter too. Can't praise it enough. I also sometimes use ToneBoosters Isone v3 as a crossfeed.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #34 of 81
Interesting insight on filters. I don't have anything installed and using the out of the box setup. Are those filters purchased? Which vendor or website? I will look into them. Thanks

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #35 of 81
  Interesting insight on filters. I don't have anything installed and using the out of the box setup. Are those filters purchased? Which vendor or website? I will look into them. Thanks

You can get free and commercial filters, of varying functionality and quality. Pro-Q 2 is the best parametric EQ that I know of, but not the cheapest.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #36 of 81
You can get free and commercial filters, of varying functionality and quality. Pro-Q 2 is the best parametric EQ that I know of, but not the cheapest.

I will do some research on filters over the weekend and try them with A+, thanks for the tip.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #37 of 81
v2.0.9 is now out

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #38 of 81
Jan 12, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #39 of 81
Release 2.0.9
  1. SysOptimizer: give explicit error message upon installation failure, especially for permissions issue
  2. Add warning message when asking to move library database to external drive
  3. Mount in background thread the network folders at startup
  4. Compute bitrate for SACD ISO
  5. Update libs: libFLAC to 1.3.1, libOgg to 1.3.2 ,WavPack to 4.70.0
  6. Bug fix:
    1. Fix missing WAV INFO tags leading to empty track title
    2. Fix issues reading DSDIFF tags
    3. Fix rare issue writing DSDIFF tags leading to damaged files
    4. Don't open library file if it is in Trash
    5. Fix orphan artists not deleted
    6. Fix allowing to delete synched folders on not connected devices
    7. Fix for removing artist, album,... of tracks that have been edited outside and whose artist, album,... has been removed
    8. Remove duplicate COMMENT tag in FLAC files when modifying the comment tag

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #40 of 81
Release 2.0.9
  • SysOptimizer: give explicit error message upon installation failure, especially for permissions issue
  • Add warning message when asking to move library database to external drive
  • Mount in background thread the network folders at startup
  • Compute bitrate for SACD ISO
  • Update libs: libFLAC to 1.3.1, libOgg to 1.3.2 ,WavPack to 4.70.0
  • Bug fix:
    • Fix missing WAV INFO tags leading to empty track title
    • Fix issues reading DSDIFF tags
    • Fix rare issue writing DSDIFF tags leading to damaged files
    • Don't open library file if it is in Trash
    • Fix orphan artists not deleted
    • Fix allowing to delete synched folders on not connected devices
    • Fix for removing artist, album,... of tracks that have been edited outside and whose artist, album,... has been removed
    • Remove duplicate COMMENT tag in FLAC files when modifying the comment tag

Thanks for the list, I will update tomorrow. Do you know if the Audirvana developers are on headfi? I want to know when they are releasing the remote control app. That will be a big plus for our setup.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #41 of 81
Jan 12, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #42 of 81
No idea, but you can keep an eye on the Audirvana forum.

I will send them an email tomorrow and ask. If I find anything useful I will report back. Cheers

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #43 of 81
I just sent an email to Audirvana asking when they will release the remote control app.  I also invited them to join this thread to share ideas. Here is an extract of what I sent:

"Hi,
On behalf of many music and Mac platform lovers we want to thank you for Audirvana+. I have been using your software for a couple of months and am very happy with the functionality, features, and stability of it.

When do you anticipate the Remote Control iOS app to be completed? What kind of features can we expect?

Also, I would like to invite you to join us in one of the head-fi threads and chime in with thoughts and developments, similar to what ifi audio have done with their products. Here is the link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/734465/audirvana-plus-2-0

Iif you already have a thread you contribute to on head-fi please send me the link.

Many thanks"

Let's see what they come back with.

Cheers

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #44 of 81
I've just upgraded to 2.0.9 after using 1.5.12 exclusively for some time. The new library management alone, with its clean tiled albums view, justifies the upgrade for me, but the improvements to sound quality are really something else. The low end is more full bodied and punchier, the upper registers smoother. The most apparent change though is in the soundstage. It's wider and there's greater depth, giving space to individual instruments and elements. Micro-details sparkle as a result. I have never heard the HD800 as open sounding, as resolving, yet as warm and textured. Slamming and musical and utterly engaging.

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #45 of 81
  I've just upgraded to 2.0.9 after using 1.5.12 exclusively for some time. The new library management alone, with its clean tiled albums view, justifies the upgrade for me, but the improvements to sound quality are really something else. The low end is more full bodied and punchier, the upper registers smoother. The most apparent change though is in the soundstage. It's wider and there's greater depth, giving space to individual instruments and elements. Micro-details sparkle as a result. I have never heard the HD800 as open sounding, as resolving, yet as warm and textured. Slamming and musical and utterly engaging.

That's great to hear. I was taken aback slightly about their lack of response on the expected release date of their remote control app. I was also disappointed with no response after inviting them to join this forum and listen to what we, the people, would like to see added in future releases.

This doesn't negate the fact that they have a pretty kick-ass and stable product. I have put it through the paces over the past 3 months and I can safely say that its really solid in both stand alone and integrated mode.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back