AudioValve Solaris universal amp
Dec 21, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #46 of 104
Does anyone have experience with the speaker outs of the solaris? Would it be better to get a pair of active speakers and hook it on the Solaris XLR pre outs or is the passive speaker out for 4-8 ohms speakers equally good?
I use the amp in my Solaris to power a set of passive speakers in my office. It sounds very good.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #47 of 104
There are two ways to connect speakers to the Solaris. I is you take a passive speaker and the jack on the back of the pole terminals of the Solaris, the mode switch is on STAX and then you have 2 x 12 watts at 8 ohms available on the speaker terminals. Or you can use the XLR PRE-OUT on the back side and connecting an active speaker. If you then pull the balance control you can activate these outputs and if you push the balance control back in, they are deactivated. If you use passive speakers, they should have an efficiency of at least 94dB, this is how our users use the Solaris with speakers.

Dec 22, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #48 of 104
There are two ways to connect speakers to the Solaris. I is you take a passive speaker and the jack on the back of the pole terminals of the Solaris, the mode switch is on STAX and then you have 2 x 12 watts at 8 ohms available on the speaker terminals. Or you can use the XLR PRE-OUT on the back side and connecting an active speaker. If you then pull the balance control you can activate these outputs and if you push the balance control back in, they are deactivated. If you use passive speakers, they should have an efficiency of at least 94dB, this is how our users use the Solaris with speakers.
Do you have some examples of speakers that are drivable with the amp? Because 94dB looks hard to find.

Dec 22, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #49 of 104
Do you have some examples of speakers that are drivable with the amp? Because 94dB looks hard to find.
The speakers I drive are 91db sensitive and they are very dynamic. Higher sensitivity systems would be more so, but anything greater than about 88db should reach acceptable levels with the Solaris amplifier power.

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #51 of 104
Thanks. So something like the Klipsch RP-8000F would work for sure wouldn't it?
I don't know anything abbot those but the web site says they have a 98db sensitivity rating, so yes sounds like a good match.

Apr 4, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #53 of 104
I've spoken some of my dealers / importers and they recomment following headphone for best match with our amps, and here is the list …

And happy Easter to all, Team AudioValve and Helmut

STAX MODE
Dan Clark Audio Voce
Stax Omega SR-007 Reference mk2
Stax SR-L700 mk2
Hifiman Jade 2
Stax SR-L500 mk2
SR-L500 Pro

Planarmagnetics
Dan Clark Audio Ether2
HEDDPhone
Dan Clark Audio AEON Flow2 Open
Dan Clark Audio AEON
Noir
Hifiman Ananda
Hifiman Susvara (7k€)

Dynamic headphones
Sennheiser HD800s
Focal Clear Pro & Pro MG
Focal Clear & Clear MG
Focal Celestee

Budget
iBasso SR2
Ollo Audio S4R
Focal, ( use reduce GAIN - 20dB )

Apr 4, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #54 of 104
And a lot of more headphones sounds perfect with Solaris :)

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #55 of 104
and now the list of headphones that our clientele also listens to - in loose order. These headphones absolutely belong to it, otherwise the list is not complete.

Focal Clear MG
HEDD
Meze Empyrean
Hifman HE1000 V2/SE
Stax SR-009 (S/BK)
AudioTechnica ATH ADX-5000

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #56 of 104
May I - again - add the Focal STELLIA to this Top-End List ?
One of the best Closed Phones, (and hence my closed supplement to the 009S)

Regards

Urs

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #57 of 104
I just purchased the Solaris. I'm wondering how I would setup the switches for Abyss 1266 TC? I see OTL which I would think isn't for Abyss as I'm use to OTL running 100 ohms and up.
Then there's imp mode which doesn't tell me anything.

May 17, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #59 of 104
Never mind found how manual is hidden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back