AudioValve Solaris universal amp
Mar 30, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #31 of 104
If to consider dynamic headphones only, is Solaris the full equivalent of RKV 3, or are there any additional improvements in Solaris?

Thanks!
Here is an earlier reply from the manufacturer:

Solaris and RKV3 are basically identical amplifiers, but twice as powerful as luminaries. We switched to a different tube type 3 years ago from PCL805 to ECL65 / 6F5P.

The PCL 805 tube was no longer available worldwide and ECL85 has been able to secure many thousands of pieces for us.

So today, the performance data are slightly higher in comparison to the models before 2015.

Luminare has 2 x ECl85 per channel and delivers about 8 watts per channel. The two larger products bring have 12 watts per channel.

Since the chassis of Solaris and RKV 3 are almost identical except for the STAX function, it can be assumed that both sound the same.

Overall, the larger amplifiers are sovereign, because they have more reserves.

We still have some sources of information about Luminare, Solaris and RKV 3 available for you to visit.

They are partly German, partly written in English and give impressions from other users.

: https://audiovalveforum.de/upload/forum/

and a big german forum

https://www.open-end-music.de/vb3/forumdisplay.php?f=225

Apr 12, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #33 of 104
I would like to thank the friend owning mkv3. He recommend using the low impedance mode to drive high impedance headphones! How Brilliant!!! I was annoyed by the lack of body with my susvara, but the low impedance does improve a lot!

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #34 of 104
Jun 18, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #37 of 104
Ableza is of course right when he says "use your local dealer" - but, hardly anyone has Solaris at his warehouse in the USA, so I recommend the so-called "short way" of an order on the homepage our shop, or contact us directly by email. But also my Europe - PREMIUM dealer in Amsterdam is a super guy, named Stefan from https://www.headphoneauditions.nl/ - he can also offer you suitable headphones for the Solaris. That would be my idea for you to get Solaris quickly.

And then there's the PRE-GAIN. I would like to mention that many users would also like to use low impedances (<50 ohms) on the Solaris in OTL mode and so that you do not hear any background noise, I have implemented a further reduction in the gain since 2020. This rotary switch on the front now has 4 setting options instead of 2 gain settings in the new models.

solaris front 2020.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #38 of 104
Do we know if anyone has reviewed Solaris w/ Susvara ? I am on a hunt for an amp for my Susvara + Dave.

Jun 22, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #39 of 104
Do we know if anyone has reviewed Solaris w/ Susvara ? I am on a hunt for an amp for my Susvara + Dave.
Hi, I am playing the Susvara on the Solaire in the shop, fed by the Mscaler / Dave and it's the best I've heard the Susvara play on tubes, so far. If you can make it to Amsterdam you should come by and have a listen! Cheers, Stefan

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #42 of 104
I really enjoyed the brief encounter I had with the Solaris at the Gramaphone in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

What an amazing amplifier.

If I could afford it I would have one.

Nov 14, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #43 of 104
we are happy Daniel, that you like the amp. However, the smaller Luminare is not really worse, ok - a little less power, but it still has almost the same features and cheaper. By the way, we posted a short video yesterday that shows you how to mount a STAX socket. We produce it ourselves for Luminare and Solaris, have fun with it, regards Helmut

assembling a STAX socket ....

Nov 14, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #44 of 104
@rkvfather Im not here saying your products are not worth what you charge. I simply cannot afford them.

Even $7,000 CAD is out of reach for me.

It’s not you, it’s me.

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #45 of 104
Does anyone have experience with the speaker outs of the solaris? Would it be better to get a pair of active speakers and hook it on the Solaris XLR pre outs or is the passive speaker out for 4-8 ohms speakers equally good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back