Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 opamp configurations list
Apr 19, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #271 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by KMT000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. I've seen you made a serious mod on your HD2. I'm also interested to get more out of my card. I use 2*LT1364 + LM4562 ATM.

Also seen you'd buy RCAs from kácsa. Are you from hungary? That'd be awesome.
eek3smile.gif

Yes, Im from Hungary. The RCS jack i posted before wouldn't fit.
The only compatible is a trough hole solder type not PCB mount or the one that is only available from AMB Audop Shop, same as CUI RCJ-041 but with gold-plated contacts:

h_pcbrcajack.jpg

May 12, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #272 of 492
earfanatic,

the pictures of your mod no longer appear. Can you post them again ? At least without the diagram it's fairly hard to guess what the setup is.

bye

May 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #273 of 492
Oh... it was on a server that was not mine.

Anyway, I made a hi-res photo with a note on it:

I know the resistor values were different before, but I checked the circuit again and this is right.
Mine uses that earlier setup since then so it is okay, but this is the correct one.
(this is why i masked the resistor colors to ensure misreading of the values for experts
biggrin.gif
)

May 28, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #275 of 492
I have this Prodigy HD2 Advance DE card after listening through M-Audio 7.1 and 5.1 driving Klipsch Ultra 5.1 and 2.1 respectively.

Not a headphone guy, rather feel the highs via the cheek bones and the bass blowing past the hairs on my skin although I have set of Senn HD 280 Pro and some cheap ear canal Klipsch S-2s.

I gather I want AD797BNZ sitting in the socket closest to the output jacks and LT1028AC sitting in the remaining sockets? Or if the LTs are troublesome use LT1357. Do I have that arrangement correct? Not a bass freak but enjoy well placed lows.

Stock card is a bit weak on bass range or maybe just weak period and the highs are quite clear along with the mid-range but not outstanding.

May 29, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #277 of 492
Thanks for that. I'll figure out what DAC output is later.......just minor details.

While I'm thinking about it, Ebay seller of the HD2 DE card said at onetime he was thinking of using the card in the/a PCI X slot (5v) versus the regular PCI slot (3.3v), according to specs the card can handle the extra volts. Would a guy gain anything by running 5 volts through the card? Of course I haven't bothered to check to see if the notches would even allow it to seat in a PCI X slot.

Or maybe I should have bought one of these......
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Audiotrak-Prodigy-HD2-Burson-Special-Edition-Soundcard_W0QQitemZ270538153653QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_ComputerComponents_SoundCards?hash=item3efd549eb5

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #279 of 492
I found some LT1363C8 and AD797BN and ordered 2ea for a total of 4 (new). Might be three weeks coming from Hong Kong. Better than coming from China proper, if you know what I mean. Hopefully they aren't knockoffs cause it would take another three weeks to return them.

Meantime,  Prodigy HD2 Advance seemed a little weak with output or just not quite right. Pulled it out (and no it won't fit any other slot) noted the Op-Amp as OPA 2604ap/OPA 2134pa. Stock stuff. Under the magnifying glass OPA 2604ap wasn't seated all the way, took care of that and plugged it back in. Sounds a bit better now as I listen to Jethro Tull 'Thick as a Brick' (that is one complex arrangement) through Klipsch Promedia 2.1s. If the Hong Kong delivery pans out as the real thing with improved sounds, I just might have to breakdown and buy Prodigy 7.1 Hi-Fi to feed my Ultra 5.1s.

My old M-Audio Revolution 7.1 has one DIP Op-Amp  24LC02B-323-0213, maybe it's worth trying to dress up its output since it's using Envy 1724/24HT (pre-VIA buyout).

I swear the HD2 was unused and is just now burning in with my use. Is there a procedure on burn in? Anybody? Link?

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #280 of 492
Admitted, I am definitely too lazy to read everything back but I might want something less shrill than 2 x LT1364/1x LT1361. That without soldering coz im left handed times two. Any suggestions guys?

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #281 of 492

Quote:
Earfanatic, any updates on your mod? Are you planning to upgrade the power supply as well?

Thanks for asking sonda2008 ! I had a lot to do lately, and couldn't manage to work on the soundcard.
I posted some schematics in the diy HD2 forum about the circuits thats all.

As soon as I can I will finish the job. I wont change the power supply though. I don't think that's a good idea, as the most high voltage the computer supplies is 12V and if You use that raw 12V from the PSU then You loose regulation.
There is absolutely no point in using 12V regulator on 12V supply. For a Burson opamp maybe if You can get 15V supply... or more that's a solution. For me, as I don't have Bursons, The 9V supply is enough for the opamps as the output level is already 3V and most amplifiers are designed for lower voltages.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #282 of 492
I have an HD2 Advance DE sound card that I purchased a year ago when I built my audio pc and was not have with the sound.  I then read in the HD2 forum that 3-THS4032’s would make a big difference which they did, however, although much improved the card lacked the dynamics of my CDP and the bass seemed to magnify sub harmonics.  After reading this thread I implemented Earfanatic’s resistors and LT1028 + AD797 and while I was working on the card I installed Cardas RCA’s in place of the stock aluminum jacks.  I must say that from the get-go the card finally produced sound that was comparable to the rest of my system.   As Earfanatic stated, I had to reduce the volume output of Foobar by 6db to match the output from my other sources.  As stated elsewhere in this thread vocals/mid-range is super, chilling really and the highs match ..with the THS4032’s cymbal crashes were…well they were “CRASHES” without definition,  with the 1028/797’s you hear the impact of the drumstick hit the cymbal and the cymbal shimmering that follows.  The bass a little “light” volume wise but is as punchy as anything else in my system and certainly much more so than the THS4032’s which seemed a slight bit muddy.  The biggest factor is the dynamics…my audio pc has never had dynamics to match  the rest of my system until the 1028/797’s in fact I have to by careful of the volumes I run because loud passages are really loud.

Now for the CONS..The output frequency response  seems to hump around 500hz and maintain above that giving the “light” feeling to the bass.  I haven’t measured it as I don’t have equipment to do so and if I did room reflections etc would make the data useless.  Since I can somewhat control the frequency balance of my tri-amped system with my Marchand XM-9, I am able to flatten the output to compensate for the rise the 1028/797 give the system.  The down side is that when I go back to my CDP or DVD I have to rebalance  the system … not a real big pain but makes comparing sources a bit challenging.

Bottom line I’m happy with the changes to the HD2 and the sound …as I said above I can now say the audio pc sounds as close to my CDP so that if I don’t know which is the source I can’t tell which is which.  Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and in particular Earfanatic for providing the pictures and even someone like me could follow.

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #285 of 492
No idea, but I think you may wanna try all the "unity gain stable" opamps before settling on LT1028. I've had weird problems w/ this opamp on the HD2 and Firestone Spitfire(when my fridge turns on or someone turns off my bathroom neon light, I get a loud glitch), and some skilled DIY ppl have told me that this is a very very sensitive opamp that doesn't accept mediocrity...so using it on a SMPS in a computer case is begging for problems IMHO. Or at least, get someone w/ an analog oscilloscope to triple-check for oscillation. LT1028 is not your average rolling opamp
very_evil_smiley.gif

OTOH, that's the opamp advised to be used in the PCM1794 datasheet...and yes, it's very colored but very impressive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back