Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 opamp configurations list
Mar 28, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #243 of 492
what strikes me more here is that the burson are under fed voltage wise, and nothing is done about it.
So they just mounted 3 bursons and changed the L shaped Cinch for wired connections to straight RCA, with hand wiring. They spaced a bit the RCA though
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #245 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.I find it highly ironic how internal soundcards are always made of huge compromises..

You always complain about the computer. Why dont make a better shielded computer for the sound card? I know, standalone DACs are always better but those aren't my thing.

What makes "noise" in a computer?
-PSU
-HDDs
-Shielding problem

-nothing we couldn't improve :wink:

Mar 28, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #247 of 492
well the linear PSU cannot output more than 200/250mA, and there's a 200mA fuse in the Spitfire...OTOH, the SMPS wallwart can output 500mA so I should be able to put a higher fuse and use the wallwart from what Firestone told me...but I really don't wanna use a SMPS anymore.

Andrea told me that I should remove the fuse, and measure the DC current going through...and if it's <150mA it would work w/ the Burson.

that sounds troublesome tbh, as I like the 1028AC in there anyway...and I've got my eyes on a second hand Cute Beyond + linear PSU, I really dig Firestone's stuff...great sound w/ some good opamps
smily_headphones1.gif

RMAA looks great as usual: http://www.firestone.idv.tw/rmaa/Cute_Beyond.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by earfanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-PSU
-HDDs
-Shielding problem

it's a lost cause, output toslink off the computer, use a proper linear PSU. done.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #248 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by earfanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You always complain about the computer. Why dont make a better shielded computer for the sound card? I know, standalone DACs are always better but those aren't my thing.

-PSU
-HDDs
-Shielding problem

-nothing we couldn't improve :wink:

Actually, NO stand alone isn't always better. I would say it depends on the units being tested.
Many of the people that whine about internals of a PC really don't understand the topic. First, if the internal was so noisy as they try and suggest the PC would never start up.
Also, if there was a bunch of noise present it would also be present on the card and we know many internal sound cards can measure better then many external DAC's.
You can always improve the internals, use some shielding on your card etc. That is always good but many make a mountain out of a molehill in this respect. You can use ERS paper, faraday ideas to shield to card from the "noise" but I doubt you would hear a big improvement.
If I have an internal card that measures better for noise and distortion then the external unit, where is the "noise" problem?
I have tested many DAC's and many soundcards and I still say neither is inherently better as it still depends on the unit.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #249 of 492
Hi there,

From 2x LT1364 + LM4562NA, I went to the 4x797BR and a Burson on buffer combo, it seems that I now need to mod a little more my card to feed the Burson.

What should I buy ? Regulators, right ? Which ones ? what is the next step for me ?

Considering I'm new in soldering could someone (leeperry?) explain me the way to go please ?

Thanks.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #250 of 492
Bonjour mon ami
wink.gif

you'd need to ditch the 9V LM regulators for 12V, and possibly use higher end parts...they won't really regulate anything(as they need 3V overhead to do so), but they'll feed ±12V to the Burson(and the AD797B has a pretty high PSRR anyway)...as the Burson is grossly underfed at ±9V...±12V is really a minimum, and ±18V is more advisable.

and I guess you got an old ESI unit? you might wanna upgrade the caps too, and possibly crossflash it to use the VIA generic drivers.

I'm sure Slash47 would be able to advise you about the right regulators to use if you'd PM him
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #251 of 492
Merci !

I will start with swapping regulators (9V for 12V).
While reading a french forum, someone said you need to replace both 7805 and 7905
for LM7812 and LM7912 (or, LM7810 and LM1910).

And yes, I did got the HD2 SE but am using VIA generic drivers.

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #252 of 492
My HD2 is coming soon.
I plan to try out the ADVANCE --- 2x OPA2134 + OPA2604 configuration, but i'm confused about the different type of the opamp with the same name, namely OPA2604AP. (with a dot) and OPA2604AP, op amp type is low noise another one is wideband, the price is different too
confused_face_2.gif

which one should i get?

I plan to buy from farnell

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #254 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by m4a1rifle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My HD2 is coming soon.
I plan to try out the ADVANCE --- 2x OPA2134 + OPA2604 configuration, but i'm confused about the different type of the opamp with the same name, namely OPA2604AP. (with a dot) and OPA2604AP, op amp type is low noise another one is wideband, the price is different too
confused_face_2.gif

which one should i get?

I plan to buy from farnell

There is an opamp thread where you can get some suggestions and information from people that have tested the opamps you are interested in.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #255 of 492
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should stay away from those 2134/2604 anyway, they're cheap and sound BAD....find some proper replacements.

Ya i have read your opinion that it sounds boring, i buy the LITE version so i guess this is a affordable upgrade for me, well for now
wink.gif
and the proper replacement i have in mind is more than twice it's price and require some sholdering...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is an opamp thread where you can get some suggestions and information from people that have tested the opamps you are interested in.

I have read this whole thread, they only mentioned the model name like "OPA2604" but if you could click this link to farnell you can see that there are 2 version of "OPA2604" namely OPA2604AP. (with a dot) and OPA2604AP, wideband and low noise type... both are also "OPA2604", but which one should i get? i know the "A" is the quality as in S>B>A, and "P" is package type MDIP-8, but the "." (dot), and wideband/low noise no one mentioned about it before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back