Audiothechnica 950LTD
Feb 21, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #151 of 249
Sorry, I posted this earlier in post #78. The W5000 pads fit very well on the A950LTD. The thickness of the pads are different, so it's possible the sound will be different.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The plastic part on the A950LTD where the pad wraps around is much thicker than the W5000's. Installation is more difficult. One way is to start with the pad upside down and wrapping it over the thinnest part of the plastic first. Then slowly slide the pad around 180 degrees while continually pulling and wrapping it over the plastic. Note that the W5000's left and right pads are different and specific for each side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teNtiOn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's A950LTD comparing with K701/HD650 ? Do it need an amp ?

Hi, welcome to Head-Fi.

The A950LTD sounds OK driven directly from a 5G iPod, while I wouldn't do so with the K701 or HD650. The A950LTD does improve when driven by the RSA Raptor or AT-HA5000, though the difference isn't as much as the K701/HD650. I usually listen to the K701 with the Raptor and the HD650 with the Lehmann BCL or Lavry DA10. I think it's more likely for people to think the A950LTD sounds good enough with more modest amplification. You can think of it as being good enough to not need a fancy amp. The K701 and HD650 are more demanding and scale more readily.

The A950LTD sounds very different from the K701/HD650. The closed A950LTD has much better isolation and doesn't leak sound, unlike the K701. The A950LTD is more forward-sounding, closed-in and less expansive, while the K701 and HD650 are more distant-sounding, have better air and larger soundstages. At this point I prefer the K701 and HD650 over the A950LTD.

The A950LTD's bass impact seems a bit higher than the HD650's, though it doesn't have the HD650's warmth or smoothness. Both are relatively warm and dark-sounding compared to the K701, SA5000, RS-1 or AD2000. The HD650 has a more relaxing and liquid-like sound that's very enjoyable. I think both the A950LTD and HD650 lack some details, particularly in the upper-midrange area.

The K701 has a much different sound than the A950LTD. The K701's large soundstage, air and precise and delicate sound is almost diametrically opposite to the A950LTD's more closed-in, solid, bassy and iimpactful sound. This probably applies to the K701 vs. the L3000, A900LTD and A900 as well. I think the K701 is more neutral-sounding, though this may sometimes be a negative quality. The A950LTD generates more emotions and impact behind the music, especially electronica where its bass is much more fun and uplifting. It also does well with fast-paced dance music. I prefer the K701's superior air, soundstage and details for classical, downtempo electronica and slower paced vocals. The K701's midrange also sounds especially good with female vocals such as Patricia Barber.

The K701 is one of my favorite headphones; this can be inferred from the description of my preferences above. However, I often feel more involved and immersed in the music while listening to the W5000, L3000 and other headphones while the K701 can sometimes seem too bland, detached and overly clinical. Despite my claim that I'm more of an airhead than basshead, the K701's bass and lower midrange doesn't have enough slam and impact for some of my favorite types of music such as electronica chill out.

Feb 22, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #152 of 249
A reply to a PM asking about the AD2000 and A950LTD from an MS1 owner:

I used to own the Alessandro MS1; it's a great value and I think it is the best-sounding headphone around the US$100 range.

The AD2000 is open and will leak sound and have very little isolation, similarly to the MS1. The A950LTD has decent isolation and leaks very little sound.

I think the AD2000 sounds better than tthe A950LTD, and is worth the street price in Japan, about US$500. Value is ultimately up to each individual to determine for himself.

The AD2000, K701 and HD650 are close in overall sound quality, especially with well-matched amps and sources. Much will depend on one's preferences. I prefer the AD2000, though I often listen to the K701 and HD650 and like them very much.

If you don't have a good source or amp now, the AD2000 and A950LTD will serve better unamped. They are like the MS1 in this way, sounding OK directly from a portable player. If you like stronger bass impact and need isolation the A950LTD would be the better choice.

The AD2000 scales more than the A950LTD and sounds better to me with a good amp and source. It has a larger soundstage, better air and details, and better treble and bass extension. This also applies to the K701/HD650 vs. the A950LTD. I think the A950LTD is on a level below the AD2000, K701 and HD650.

However, if a closed headphone is necessary or desirable, then there's not much competition vs. the A950LTD. If your preferences are different from mine and you like a more forward and closed-in sound, then the A950LTD would be a better choice than the AD2000.

Feb 22, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #153 of 249
Why hasn't there been more posts in this thread? I feel lonely.
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #154 of 249
Quote:

frown.gif

hmmm...maybe because you're probably the first and only one here with this highly sought after headphone?
blink.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #155 of 249
OK, please disregard what I posted earlier about airyness, soundstage, imaging, blah, blah, blah and all that ethereal, flighty stuff.

I listened to several fast-paced electronica songs with the A950LTD and L3000 and I proudly admit it, I'm a basshead!
icon10.gif

Teh bass, OMG!
basshead.gif

Songs I listened to:

Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence (Bass Line)
Goldfrapp - Number 1 (Alan Braxe & Fred Falke Main Remix)
Sarah McLachlan - Vox (Tom Middleton Mix)
Enigma - Sadeness Part 1 (Violent U.S. Remix)
Massive Attack - Angel

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #156 of 249
Elephas

So are you saying you enjoyed both because of the bass present in each of them or just the L3000?

The reason you are so lonely is because your the only one with one so far. Just wait and all the detractors will be coming out the window at you.

I know they will be nice to hear.

Quote:

OK, please disregard what I posted earlier about airyness, soundstage, imaging, blah, blah, blah and all that ethereal, flighty stuff.

I listened to several fast-paced electronica songs with the A950LTD and L3000 and I proudly admit it, I'm a basshead!
icon10.gif

Teh bass, OMG!
basshead.gif

Songs I listened to:

Massive Attack - Angel

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #157 of 249
Quote:

icon10.gif

Teh bass, OMG!
basshead.gif

Songs I listened to:

Massive Attack - Angel

And you still prefer the W5000?
I have always been wondering about the large difference between the W5000 and the L3000. Now it looks like the A950LTD are somewhere in between....?

Feb 22, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #158 of 249
In sound profile, Yes...

But in quality you need the SK138 adjusted Fitz mods to get it into the right circle of quality. Maybe the A950LTDs will have that effectively in stock?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you still prefer the W5000?
I have always been wondering about the large difference between the W5000 and the L3000. Now it looks like the A950LTD are somewhere in between....?

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #159 of 249
Sorry, I got carried away a bit there. I'm still a bit dizzy.
smily_headphones1.gif

The W5000's sound seems more dependent on fit than the other ATs. I've adjusted its headbands to have more clamping force. The L3000's clamping force is still higher, though.

The A950LTD's sound also changes when pressed tightly against my head using my hands. It is more similar in this way to the W5000 than the L3000 or AD2000, which don't change as much when pressed in. On my head, the AD2000 and L3000 have the highest clamping force. Similarly to the W5000, the A950LTD's bass quantity and impact increases with higher clamping force. However, soundstage size is compressed and it becomes more closed-in and forward-sounding. I believe some people who experienced a thin and bass-light sound from the W5000 may have had sub-optimal fit. When new, my W5000 was very loose and could slide off my head.

As for bass, both L3000 and A950LTD have higher bass impact and quantity than the W5000. The L3000's bass is especially good, the best I've heard from a headphone. Its quantity is well-balanced with the rest of the spectrum, without being too dominant. There's zero boominess, muddiness or bloat. Bass details and texture are excellent; notes have a high degree of realism and three dimensionality. The notes are fleshed out, solid and have weight behind them. It's almost as if one can "see" the finely detailed textures on and around each note as it passed through air and feel the visceral impact.

The W5000's bass has a similar level of details as the L3000, but not as much impact, solidity or weight. The A950LTD's bass has similar impact and quantity, but doesn't have the details or textures. Without the high level of details, its bass is more one-note and has a lower sense of realism.

Also, the L3000 is more open-sounding and has bit larger soundstage than the A950LTD, though with more burn-in it seems the A950LTD is opening up and air is improving.

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #160 of 249
Quote:

Sorry, I got carried away a bit there. I'm still a bit dizzy.
smily_headphones1.gif

The W5000's sound seems more dependent on fit than the other ATs. I've adjusted its headbands to have more clamping force. The L3000's clamping force is still higher, though.

The A950LTD's sound also changes when pressed tightly against my head using my hands. It is more similar in this way to the W5000 than the L3000 or AD2000, which don't change as much when pressed in. On my head, the AD2000 and L3000 have the highest clamping force. Similarly to the W5000, the A950LTD's bass quantity and impact increases with higher clamping force. However, soundstage size is compressed and it becomes more closed-in and forward-sounding. I believe some people who experienced a thin and bass-light sound from the W5000 may have had sub-optimal fit. When new, my W5000 was very loose and could slide off my head.

As for bass, both L3000 and A950LTD have higher bass impact and quantity than the W5000. The L3000's bass is especially good, the best I've heard from a headphone. Its quantity is well-balanced with the rest of the spectrum, without being too dominant. There's zero boominess, muddiness or bloat. Bass details and texture are excellent; notes have a high degree of realism and three dimensionality. The notes are fleshed out, solid and have weight behind them. It's almost as if one can "see" the finely detailed textures on and around each note as it passed through air and feel the visceral impact.

The W5000's bass has a similar level of details as the L3000, but not as much impact, solidity or weight. The A950LTD's bass has similar impact and quantity, but doesn't have the details or textures. Without the high level of details, its bass is more one-note and has a lower sense of realism.

Also, the L3000 is more open-sounding and has bit larger soundstage than the A950LTD, though with more burn-in it seems the A950LTD is opening up and air is improving.

Thanks for elaborating on that. I guess (at least in this case) that you get what you pay for...Which does not mean that there is not a lot of fun to be had from the not-so-extremely-expensive stuff.
By the way, from the way you describe your phones I got to think you should really try the PROline 2500....
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #161 of 249
Ha ha, it's no use taunting me, I've already been thinking about the 750, 2500 and Edition 9. One reason was jealousy of all the activity in the Ultrasone thread.
biggrin.gif

I dislike the plastic and stiff construction of the Ultrasone HFI-2200 ULE and DJ1 Pro and thought their sound was unimpressive even when driven by a Corda Opera. Maybe the 750 and 2500 will do better; they seem be on sale locally for US$208.

Feb 22, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #162 of 249
Thank you very much Elephas

If A950LTD is a slight improvement over the A900LTD as you said and as there are many people here that have experienced these cans already, I have a question for them. At the moment the reference cans that A950LTD is compared to is L3000. I would like reading few words about W11JPN and if there are some similarities between them (A900LTD <-> W11JPN).

Feb 22, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #163 of 249
well it should sound better after burn in like many have said. but from the description Elephas has made it sounds to me the A950LTD is just like the old A900LTD.

Feb 22, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #164 of 249
Please, no need to thank me, I'm hoping more wallets suffer so I don't feel so lonely.
tongue.gif

Note that I don't have much experience with the A900LTD. I've only heard it twice, both times demo units in a shop. This is very different from owning a headphone long term and comparing it at leisure with other gear at home.

I don't really know how the A900LTD compares with the A950LTD. I assume they are very similar. We'll have to wait for someone to do a comprehensive comparison.

I haven't heard other AT woodies. I'm just comparing the A950LTD to the AT headphones I have. I do think it is similar to the L3000 and consider it a "mini-L3000" in some ways. The L3000 does everything better than the A950LTD, though, which is why I don't think most L3000 owners would be interested in it.

Well, maybe not everything. The A950LTD is lighter in weight and less expensive.

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #165 of 249
Quote:

frown.gif

Well personally, my interest in buying an A950LTD has dropped quite a bit. But that's mainly because I just won an eBay auction for an A900LTD @ $215 shipped!
3000smile.gif

And given what you're saying about the A950LTD and if it's true that you'd be hard-pressed to hear the difference between that and the A900LTD, I think I'm going to be happy with my purchase. Impact is a must for me. Angel will probably be one of the first tracks I play through them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Though I must agree with slwiser, once they're fully burned-in, I'd be really interested if you modded your 950s & hearing your thoughts on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back