Audiothechnica 950LTD
Feb 23, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #166 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that's mainly because I just won an eBay auction for an A900LTD @ $215 shipped!
3000smile.gif

!!! you person lollllllllllllllll

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #168 of 249
Thank you Elephas
rs1smile.gif
And I would like to ask you about the different of Grado Rs1 and Ath a950ltd. Now I have Rs1 and like it's bass,high,mid and dynamic but it not comfortable and it weak soundstage. What about Ath a950ltd compare to Rs1
rs1smile.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #169 of 249
Hi, welcome to Head-Fi.

Just for you, I listened to the A950LTD vs. the RS-1.
smily_headphones1.gif

The A950LTD has a warmer, smoother and darker sound than the RS-1. Soundstage size is smaller and midrange is more forward-sounding; vocals sound "closer" to you inside your head and everything sounds more closed-in. Bass quantity and impact is higher. There's more bass slam, though it's also looser and boomier than the RS-1's tighter and more detailed bass.

The RS-1 has more air and higher treble energy. Its highs are crisper and sharper. Overall it is more detailed. Acoustic guitar sounds especially good and realistic. At higher volume levels there's some tendency to become a bit harsh with lower quality recordings.

The A950LTD has a fuller-bodied sound that's more relaxing and smoother than the RS-1's more involving and higher energy sound. The RS-1 has a distinctive sound that can be very exciting with some fast-paced music. The A950LTD also does well with fast electronica and dance, though in a different way; its stronger bass and smaller soundstage makes it seem more like the music is being generated in the middle of your brain.

I prefer the RS-1 over the A950LTD. Note that my A950LTD is still burning in and hopefully will improve. Also, my RS-1 has been recabled.

Here's the A950LTD in battle vs. the RS-1. It is being driven by the AT-HA5000 while the RS-1 is driven by the Raptor. Source is the same, ALAC > foobar ASIO SRC Resampler 176.4 > RME HDSP 9632 > Chord DAC64.
A950LTDvsRS-1.jpg

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #172 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nenso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow.. omg.. Elephant man.. what do you NOT have? So far every single headphone you showed me was on my wants list.. omg do you have the K701s and HD650s too?

That's funny. He has those too.
icon10.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #173 of 249
Quote:

****.. !@#$ you! since I was bidding against you....

very_evil_smiley.gif

If it makes you feel any better, just remember that they're on their way into the loving arms of a Head-fier, and not some random schmuck in Slovenia. I'll treat them right.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #174 of 249
lol.. ok.. =\ wearedo u better take care of them >.<

Elephas, do you think AT make good headphones compared to Grado? I mean.. seriously the build quality is awsome.. and yea.. what do you like more?

Edit: Oh yea, where do you live? just wondering if u would tell me =\ im vancouver

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #175 of 249
A900LTD vs. A950LTD review (it's in Chinese though)
http://vienneng.blogspot.com/2007/02...s-a950ltd.html

Crappy Translation
He likes the A900LTD better. He mentions that when he first compared them, he couldn't distinguish between the two. Later, he says the A900LTD sounds brighter. The A950LTD doesn't sound as detailed, but it sounds more balanced. No mention of how many burn-in hours, so take it with a grain of salt. He mentions that other people have said the complete opposite.

I see a lot of amps that I want, but don't have
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #176 of 249
BTW, what's the finish like on the A950LTD? From the pics it looks like a more matte black, versus the more metallic-ish finish of other A-series headphones. For that matter, what's the A900LTD's like? From what I can glean, it looks like a dark bronze-like metallic finish, maybe slightly greenish under some light? The A-series headphones in general seem to have a finish that's hard to photograph well. There was a thread on here recently with a guy who was surprised by his A700's metallic-flecked finish.

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #177 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, no, no, not Elephant man.
frown.gif

See the avatar: baby elephant

OT: Elephas - What does a baby elephant symbolize; what is its significance?
Have you seen the movie "The Protector" (sp?), the one about the white elephant...it was sad!

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:53 AM Post #178 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A900LTD vs. A950LTD review (it's in Chinese though)
http://vienneng.blogspot.com/2007/02...s-a950ltd.html

Crappy Translation
He likes the A900LTD better. He mentions that when he first compared them, he couldn't distinguish between the two. Later, he says the A900LTD sounds brighter. The A950LTD doesn't sound as detailed, but it sounds more balanced. No mention of how many burn-in hours, so take it with a grain of salt. He mentions that other people have said the complete opposite.

I see a lot of amps that I want, but don't have
frown.gif

The photos in the blog were taken in the audio shop where I also listened to the A900LTD and A950LTD and purchased the A950LTD.

Addendum to user18's translation (the blog is in Cantonese):

He prefers the A900LTD's color. Both headphones don't show fingerprints. He thinks the A950LTD, like the W5000, doesn't look as good or as refined as the A900LTD.

Soundwise, the A900LTD is brighter and clearer and has better layering of the soundstage. The A950LTD has thicker-sounding and more solid bass. The A950LTD's vocals and instrumentals are more even in depth, while the A900LTD's vocals are more forward-sounding.

He listened to them with the same setup I did, the CDP transport > Lavry DA10 > AT-HA5000. He thinks Audio-Technica's "Japan-style" bass is too thin and lacks weight. He also tried them with the Corda Opera, which he preferred and thought it had a richer and fuller sound.

--
Snacks: the baby elephant has no special significance. It's supposed to represent my cute, cuddly and vulnerable online persona.

Feb 24, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #179 of 249
Quote:

Elephas, do you think AT make good headphones compared to Grado? I mean.. seriously the build quality is awsome.. and yea.. what do you like more?

Edit: Oh yea, where do you live? just wondering if u would tell me =\ im vancouver

I like the higher-end AT headphones. I don't think their less-expensive ones are good. AT produces a lot of headphone models, much more than Grado. They seem to introduce several every year. At the US$250 and lower price range I like the Alessandro MS1 and Grado HF-1, though the HF-1 is no longer in production.

No, I don't live near you, and am very glad of that. I still feel hurt because you called me "Elephant man."
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #180 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The photos in the blog were taken in the audio shop where I also listened to the A900LTD and A950LTD and purchased the A950LTD.

Addendum to user18's translation (the blog is in Cantonese):

He prefers the A900LTD's color. Both headphones don't show fingerprints. He thinks the A950LTD, like the W5000, doesn't look as good or as refined as the A900LTD.

Soundwise, the A900LTD is brighter and clearer and has better layering of the soundstage. The A950LTD has thicker-sounding and more solid bass. The A950LTD's vocals and instrumentals are more even in depth, while the A900LTD's vocals are more forward-sounding.

He listened to them with the same setup I did, the CDP transport > Lavry DA10 > AT-HA5000. He thinks Audio-Technica's "Japan-style" bass is too thin and lacks weight. He also tried them with the Corda Opera, which he preferred and thought it had a richer and fuller sound.

--
Snacks: the baby elephant has no special significance. It's supposed to represent my cute, cuddly and vulnerable online persona.

oh gosh~ u read cantonese so well....=v="

sorry, when i read my blog again,
my blog's wording really is a bit misleading...

I mean A900ltd doesn't have "fingerprints problem"
A950ltd did show a little fingerprints after I played for a while,
yet, 950ltd is already much better than A1000 in the same aspect.
orphsmile.gif

Actually, I love ATH headphone very much =) [ a fan of ATH xDD]
and I like how Japanese headphone style in presenting music (currently I'm using 007 + KGSS)
BUT personally I really DON'T like ATH (or Japanese?) headphone AMP

maybe rewrite in this way then it would be 100% what i really feel :
>> I think Audio-Technica's headamp "Japan-style" bass is too thin and lacks weight

Thx so much for your translation, Elephas & user18~!!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back