Audiothechnica 950LTD
Feb 24, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #181 of 249
Elephas, another question for you:

Do you think the W5000 earpads provide more room for the ears than A900LTD/A950LTD ones? (the last 2 use the same pads, right?). In my case, with A900LTD, my ears sometimes touch the driver cover, which becomes annoying after a while, and I was wondering if I can remedy that with W5K pads.

Also, did you experience any sound change when you switched the pads?

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #182 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by vnwn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my blog's wording really is a bit misleading...

The style was a bit confusing to me.
wink.gif

Anyway, nice to see you here, though I disagree with you on some points about the A950LTD, W5000 and AT-HA5000 amp.
icon10.gif

--

Ahriman4891, you must have elephant-like ears.
tongue.gif

The A950LTD earpads are thicker than the W5000's, with more padding in them. When the W5000 pads are installed on the A950LTD, there's less distance between the drivers and ears.

As for sound, I don't really know yet. I've installed the stock pads back on the A950LTD and the W5000 pads on the W5000.

Feb 24, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #183 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahriman4891, you must have elephant-like ears.
tongue.gif

You know, they say ear size correlates positively with... nevermind
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Well, good that I don't have to spend $50 on a pair of pads. Thank you!

Feb 24, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #184 of 249
Quote:

The style was a bit confusing to me.
wink.gif

haha...i can understand this.

pls forgive me for being Team kuso....xDD

Quote:

Anyway, nice to see you here, though I disagree with you on some points about the A950LTD, W5000 and AT-HA5000 amp.
icon10.gif

Actually if u know what type of music that i'm listening to...
then u may understand why i dun like ATH headamp...=)

- Mandarin pop 30%
- American pop / Hip pop 40%
- Canton pop 30%

Besides, the price of 950ltd in HK seems cheaper than in TW.

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #185 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, they say ear size correlates positively with... nevermind
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

You'll probably find the AD2000 uncomfortable. I had to place foam strips inside the pads so my ears won't touch the drivers. This does change the sound a bit, making vocals less forward and reducing bass impact.

Quote:

Actually if u know what type of music that i'm listening to...
then u may understand why i dun like ATH headamp...=)
- Mandarin pop 30%
- American pop / Hip pop 40%
- Canton pop 30%

Besides, the price of 950ltd in HK seems cheaper than in TW.

Yes, HK is a great place to buy consumer electronics; better prices and selection. Taiwan has an import tax on headphones and other related gear.

I listen to a wide variety of music, including some pop. I'm a bit surprised you found the AT-HA5000 to lack bass. Its bass quantity and impact with the A950LTD is very high. Compared to other amps such as the Raptor (using AT headphones), bass quantity might be less, but I believe overall bass quality is better. Detail level is higher and there's a bit less muddiness.

This indicates how individual tastes may diverge. It's instructive in this case because we listened to the exact same system.

So, I'm relieved to know I'm still an airhead and haven't been corrupted into bassheadedness.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #186 of 249
Quote:

You'll probably find the AD2000 uncomfortable. I had to place foam strips inside the pads so my ears won't touch the drivers. This does change the sound a bit, making vocals less forward and reducing bass impact.

That's what I planned to do anyway when I got them. The funny thing is, my ears are not large at all. It's just the contrast between Sennheisers and ATs that prompted me to look for some earpad upgrade--Senn pads are just so much deeper and roomier. AT pads have more surface area and are easier on the head, though. Maybe I'll find happiness with Beyers
icon10.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #187 of 249
Anybody else got their tracking number from BlueTin yet?

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #189 of 249
Same here! I won't have the reference point to the a900 though, only the a500. So when I listen to them I can only comment on its sound alone, and not compared to much anything else in the AT lineup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #190 of 249
I'm trying to order mine right now, since the GB fell through. Wish they just had a BUY button. How long did it take you guys to get a price quote?

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #191 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying to order mine right now, since the GB fell through. Wish they just had a BUY button. How long did it take you guys to get a price quote?

It took a day, but only because he never received the mailed form from the site, and noticed that here and shot me a PM and an email. Go ahead and either PM him here or email him.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #192 of 249
By now my A950LTD should be fully burned-in, estimated at 250 hours including 48 hours of pink noise from the Bink Audio Test CD (downloaded). Actual listening time is less than 10 hours.

The A950LTD's basic sound signature hasn't changed. It is warm and dark. There's some treble roll-off and lack of extension, both highs and lows. Vocals seem to have become more balanced and aren't as forward-sounding as before, though its midrange is recessed compared to the L3000 and W5000. There is more emphasis on the mid-bass and lower treble areas.

It still sounds closed-in. Both headstage and soundstage are small. The headstage does not extend past the ears or diameter of the head. Soundstage extends a bit to the left and right but is very compressed overall.

Bass impact is high. It is a boomy and thumpy type of bass that is relatively muddy and lacks details. I believe bass quantity and impact are roughly equivalent to the L3000, though quality is another matter. This is with the AT-HA5000 amplifier. Using the Raptor the A950LTD's bass impact is even greater and should satisfy most people, though some bassheads might disagree. If you think the A950LTD's bass impact is lacking, I humbly bow before your superior bassheadedness.
smily_headphones1.gif

I realize I haven't really posted much that is positive in this thread so far. I don't think the A950LTD is my type of sound, despite the fact that I like the L3000 and have called the A950LTD a "mini L3000." This is because the A950LTD shares some basic similarities with the L3000 but just doesn't have its details, dynamics, refinement and amazing ability to make the music very involving and more vivid.

I think the A950LTD does well vs. the L3000 as well as W5000 and AD2000 with some types of music and especially lower quality source material. Its darker nature in the upper midrange and treble areas make it smoother and more forgiving than the other ATs with "bad" recordings.

Feb 28, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #193 of 249
Quote:

I listen to a wide variety of music, including some pop. I'm a bit surprised you found the AT-HA5000 to lack bass. Its bass quantity and impact with the A950LTD is very high. Compared to other amps such as the Raptor (using AT headphones), bass quantity might be less, but I believe overall bass quality is better. Detail level is higher and there's a bit less muddiness.

This indicates how individual tastes may diverge. It's instructive in this case because we listened to the exact same system.

So, I'm relieved to know I'm still an airhead and haven't been corrupted into bassheadedness.
smily_headphones1.gif

yea, u got me damn right!!
icon10.gif

If 10 is the max of bass quantity, HA-5000 maybe just 3-4 for me. =p
I agree its bass is qualitatively more refined. However, at this moment, I would like & assume bass "should" (of coz just for myself) be more POWERFUL likes huge waves lash against the rocks.

HAHAHA~ I was(am??? [size=xx-small]really duno[/size]) supposed to be "Treblehead".
Was evoluted from Team Etymotics(past) > Team UE10(now) > Team Stax 007(now)
And I can never understand why people in general discriminate the "bassheaded" one.
icon10.gif

*I'm not pin pointing at your wordings, but just wanna express what I feel & would love to claim my bassheadness loud.
lambda.gif

>> It is warm and dark. There's some treble roll-off and lack of extension
yea...totally agree this part. And thus, it becomes 950ltd's "problem" compare with 900ltd TO ME. (personally I like "thin, cold & bright" sound, is it a bit ironic that beasshead likes sth bright? xD )

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #194 of 249
Quote:

>> It is warm and dark. There's some treble roll-off and lack of extension

yea...totally agree this part. And thus, it becomes 950ltd's "problem" compare with 900ltd TO ME. (personally I like "thin, cold & bright" sound, is it a bit ironic that beasshead likes sth bright? xD )

vnwn,

do you classify A900LTD as thin, cold and bright? Or at least more so than A950LTD? If I understand you correctly, it seems that A900LTD has more treble extension and is colder than 950, which in turn has more bass?

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #195 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vnwn,

do you classify A900LTD as thin, cold and bright? Or at least more so than A950LTD? If I understand you correctly, it seems that A900LTD has more treble extension and is colder than 950, which in turn has more bass?

"Thin, cold, bright" is my own listening preference...
My previous opinion is comparing ONLY btw 900ltd & 950ltd & yes, u got me right, I do think 900ltd has more treble EXtention than 950ltd, thus I found 950ltd dark.
BUT they got ard the same quantity of bass, by using the other amps I like, I'm satisfied with both of their bass performance.

Besides, the whole ATH A series DOESN'T sound cold to me...
tongue.gif

* I'm a previous A900ltd owner for abt 9 months & I'm quite familiar with 900ltd yet NOT 950ltd.
My opinion may only be useful to those who have similar taste with me to decide buying which LTD/ upgrade their 900ltd to 950ltd or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back