Audiothechnica 950LTD
Mar 24, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #226 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarnauga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not an experienced person neither in the AT brand nor in realizing "burn-in" periods nor in explaining or describing a sound.
tongue.gif

I came from a model that is fairly describe as "boring",
rolleyes.gif
the Senn HD595. So, maybe, I was very impressed by the sweetness of the sound. But I like it very much. My biggest statement was the surprise when I discover that is possible to deliver a sweet, creamy or mellow sound without obscuring passages of music, making changes in the timbre or lack details of information. Sure with a closed cans and a very sweet sound you can easily be tired
3000smile.gif
. But I would to experience those feelings and to taste the brand with a good model. And now I am very happy with my decision although it was a blinded shot. The quality or the limited edition are good additions to me but they aren't the main reason. I like music better with this cans than before with the Senns. The only regret is that they changed a lot or I was using wrongly my volume pot. This time are passed now and the treble -I'm stupidly sensible and I don't like my own ears for that
frown.gif
- is settle down and the bass too. I believe my amp and source has some responsibilities in the lacks of quality that I notice, with both models, like the upper midrange blur. And the uncontrolled bass of the ATs when I was realizing the burn-in period would be caused by abuse of the volume pot -when the midrange tend to lose presence and magic, and bass was predominant-. But these things are noticed now because these cans delivers information as a whole not like a train with three coaches. An imbalance in frequencies is an aberration to me, and weird timbres with voices or acoustic instruments. The quality that I liked from my (now sold to a friend) Senns was continuity, so complex music could be expressed in the way that I enjoy the most. My principal reference (with timbre) is live classical concerts (with chorus too). So when I hear an instrument like that Cello in Edison Woods' "Nest of Machines" with the very low notes that it delivers and I hear the female voice plentiful, I am very satisfied because my brain recognizes the instrument and sense the beauty of the voice. It can enjoy the music.

Some qualities or changes are subtle (like blur) but other changes aren't (like increment in bass
blink.gif
). To my untrained ears the whole sound signature isn't very different (but this difference exists) to my former Senn. But the differences are enough to understand the effort that different makers try to do. I hope all makers don't try to reach accuracy and neutrality as a holy grail of quality. The most natural sound that I have heard come from the soul and breast of a soprano years ago, in a church near home
cool.gif
. If a very neutral headphone analyzes her interpretation and present me the information regardless of feelings importance but with "flat" frequencies response I should have lost an astonishing experience that changed my mind about the lyrical genre. I need to look depth to understand (I need detail for that) I don't need to obtain a "wide" sound presentation -I don't use sheet music or study piano keys attacks-. I can't explain better with my English skills at the moment, so I'm very sorry for my long post.

Who is an expert here? You explanation comes across very well for me. Thanks for you impressions.

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #227 of 249
i went to singapore to pickup some stuff and i managed to get these in my hands....just touch and look look see see. didnt buy them.

Audio Technica's Limited Edition A950LTD. these are SO GORGEOUS that i was so tempted to whip out my CC and buy the damn thing :drool: never tried them though...didnt wanna take the chance of ruining a limited edtion
biggrin.gif

front of the box
a950ltd00on1.jpg

front of the box with the flap open
a950ltd01wp4.jpg

back of the box
a950ltd02gh3.jpg

inside the front flap
a950ltd03lu2.jpg

side of the box, got window for u to see the cups
a950ltd04pk6.jpg

closeup of the window
a950ltd05tx0.jpg

full frontal view of the cans out of the box
a950ltd06tr7.jpg

closeup of the label in the middle
a950ltd07bl4.jpg

angled view of the beauty
a950ltd08au9.jpg

closeup of the cups. due to the camera angle cant really see the chrome ring around the cups. seriously its beautiful
a950ltd09oe1.jpg

Apr 12, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #229 of 249
I just received a pair of these and I am very happy with the sound. IMHO, they are similar to the A900ltd but with more bass. I sold my pair of A900ltd because I thought they were a little bass shy and I like the A950ltd much better so far. I did miss how the A900ltd sounded out of an iPod and regretted selling them. IMHO, they sounded better than any other can that I have heard straight from an iPod. I am not saying they are better than my Grados or Beyers but that they didn't seem to suffer from the poor amplification as much. Hopefully after burn-in these A950ltd won't disappoint.

Happy Listening!

Apr 12, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #230 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received a pair of these and I am very happy with the sound. IMHO, they are similar to the A900ltd but with more bass. I sold my pair of A900ltd because I thought they were a little bass shy and I like the A950ltd much better so far. I did miss how the A900ltd sounded out of an iPod and regretted selling them. IMHO, they sounded better than any other can that I have heard straight from an iPod. I am not saying they are better than my Grados or Beyers but that they didn't seem to suffer from the poor amplification as much. Hopefully after burn-in these A950ltd won't disappoint.

Happy Listening!

Great! That's very reassuring as I have a pair coming in hopefully by next week.
biggrin.gif
. My first serious piece of audio equipment.

May 9, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #232 of 249
Any updates from current owners? I am tempted to place an order but I would like to make sure that the bass is not of the boomy type. I am no basshead but I have found that headphones with little bass tend to bore me, they simply don't sound right (K701 for instance, very good but no fun due to the lack of impact).

In addition, there is also the Denon AH-D2000 which is receiving quite goood reviews, it will be either of these two models. I don't suppose anyone has had the opportunity to compare the two?

May 16, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #239 of 249
Looking forward to your hear about what you think, captainzoli! Never heard the A900 myself but it would be interesting to learn more about the differences between A900 and A950ltd.

The alternative for me (choosing among the closed cans) is Denon D2000. It would be very interesting if anyone who has heard both of these cans (A950 and D2000/D5000) could offer their opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back